There’s something about Spring and a kohl-lined eye that really appeals to my inner feline senses. While a fresh wash of color – think pastel or bold – looks fab for warmer weather play too, a simple black line and a few coats of mascara is really all that is needed. Whether you veer towards punk, pretty or classic, black appeals to everyone. Wear your line thin or thick, cat or kitten, winged or bolded, lower or (and!) upper waterlines, how you choose to rock the liner is entirely up to you. When picking your black liner, however, refer to this guide of our favorite, easy, and seamless black liquid, cream and pencil eyeliners.
1. Stila All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner Intense Black – The thin marker-like tip makes this a celebrity and industry favorite, just ask Charlotte Ronson who deemed this pen as “foolproof.” It creates a thin line perfect for an understated cat eye.
2. Chanel Stylo Yeux Waterproof Noir Intense- Although it is actually a pencil, the easy application is reminiscent of a liquid. It glides on smooth yet allows you the ability to smudge. I use it for my lower waterline as well as for creating a thin wing on the upper lash line.
3. Tom Ford Beauty Noir Absolute For Eyes – This cream liner comes in a pot, so you’ll need to invest in an eyeliner brush but, trust me, it’s worth it. Create a thin or thick line with ease, the formula is highly pigmented so a little goes a long way. There’s a slight hint og blue which actually brightens the whites of your eyes (true story). You can apply to the waterline as well but, if you’re a novice, I suggest sticking with the lash line and using their equally impressive pencil eyeliner in Onyx for the inner rims.
4. Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Ebony – If you’re fearful of a creamier-gel liner, this cakey constancy will basically give the same effect with a little more mess-up room. It’s ideal for building a full eye, start light and layer. Add some water (but not too much!) to your eyeliner brush for a smooth application along your lash line. This stuff will dry and stay put – it’s like coloring with watercolors!
5. CoverGirl Line Exact Liquid Liner Pen in Very Black - Definitely my favorite drugstore liquid liner, this stuff applies with precision. The marker doesn’t dry out quickly like most brands and the smaller pen-like design really helps to get in close to your lash line. I use this to create a cat eye but you can also apply to waterline.
6. L’Oreal Voluminous Smoldering Liner – Draw a thick, bold line in seconds with this massive pencil. Highly pigmented, the formula allows you to smudge for a more dramatic line. I use this stuff on my upper lash line and my lower waterline when creating a smokey eye look.
7. Nars Larger Than Life Long-Wear Eyeliner 47th Street, Black with Silver Shimmer – For a hint of shimmer with your kohl-rimmed eyes, this pencil is my favorite. It slides on without tugging, works well to build out a wing or to use under the lower lash line to add a punch of silver-shimmer to your rims. Although a pencil, the consistency is quite malleable and can be blended easily for a more dramatic effect.