Fashion Week SS 2014:
Beauty Trends Recap

From funky french manicures to ethereal braids, purple pouts to bright and colorful eyes, New York’s SS 2014 Fashion Week brought on the beauty trends. Sure, we’ve got awhile before we see these runway trends in real life, but as the adage goes, “knowledge is power.” Be prepared.

Here are our 6 favorite NY fashion week SS 2014 beauty trends (click on the slideshow above to view images):

1. The Funky French Mani – From a slanted French tip (Holmes & Yang) to an inverted half moon (Lela Rose), the french manicure is getting a (much needed) makeover. Try adding a pop of color on the tip (as seen at Kate Spade) to give it a bit of edge.
Seen at shows like: Holmes & Yang, Kate Spade, Lela Rose.
Product To Try: Deborah Lippmann It’s Raining Men (used at Kate Spade)

2. Braids, Braids, and more Braids – An updated version of the milkmaid braid (like Naeem Khan and Rebecca Minkoff) seems to be the hit of SS 2014, but fishtails (at VPL) and braided updos will still have their moment.
Seen at shows like: Mara Hoffman, Naeem Khan, Rebecca Minkoff, Nicole Miller, VPL.
Product To Try: TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Finishing Spray (used at Rebecca Minkoff)

3. Purple is Power – Whether you choose a deep purple (like at Marchesa) or something a bit more berry stained (like at Naeem Khan), purple is the new red. Try a wash of pale purple on eyes like the models at Oscar de la Renta.
Seen at shows like: Marchesa, Naeem Khan, Nicole Miller, Parabal Gurung.
Product To Try: Nars Hyde Park Satin Lip Pencil and Nars Yu Satin Lip Pencil (used at Naeem Khan)

4. Bright and Bold Eyelids – Shades of blue (from royal to pale aqua – as seen at Badgley Mischka) are still the main theme for eyelids, but lime green (at Costello Tagliapietra) and magenta (at Jeremy Scott) are bound to receive some play time too. For a more wearable take on the bold eye trend, try using a colorful eyeliner to create a thin cat eye or on your lower waterline for a pop of color (like at Marc Jacobs).
Seen at shows like: Marc by Marc Jacobs, Badgley Mischka, Anna Sui, Costello Tagliapietra, Marc Jacobs.
Product To Try: Nars Eyeliner Pencil in Kaliste (used at Marc Jacobs)

5. Fresh and Flawless Faces- Flawless skin is a constant runway trend, but this Spring we’ll be seeing an almost transparent glow eminating from our complexions, while the rest of the face is left pretty bare as well. Keep the entire face pale and polished, including barely-there eyes and lips, like the models at Alexander Wang, DVF and Proenza Schouler.
Seen at shows like: Diane von Furstenberg, Thakoon, Edun, Phillip Lim, Alexander Wang, Proenza Schouler.
Product To Try: MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder and MAC Studio Finish SPF Concealer, applied with fingertips where needed for a clean finish (used at Proenza Schouler)

6. Natural Locks – Hair isn’t curly and bed-head messy or straight and sleek. Split the difference and you have Spring’s natural locks – beautiful, wavy, air-dried strands that look as though you did absolutely nothing to them. Choose between a center (Marc by Marc Jacobs) or side part (Thakoon).
Seen at shows like: Thakoon, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Alexander Wang, Calvin Klein.
Product To Try: Redken All Soft Argan 6 Oil (used at Calvin Klein)

tagged in: , , ,

related posts:

Fall Styles For All Lengths
Fall Trends with Celebrity Makeup Artist Jo Strettell
Style: Sol Mate

1 Comment

  1. Sarah
    September 15, 2013

    I’m so glad purple is on trend! I love the colour and can’t wait to get back into wearing darker colours for autumn :)

Leave a comment

post comment