Face Value: The Oscars 2013

oscars 2013

Face Value: The Oscars 2013

Trends of the night: black and silver sequined gowns, tight, high updos, and pale pink lips. Yes, I’m talking about the 2013 Academy Awards, and while there weren’t any tragic beauty failures, I still have my picks for hits and misses.

Here are the best and worst faces of the Oscars 2013:

Adele – Did anyone else notice that she changed her hair and makeup a few times? Took the hair down (which I thought was a wise choice) and added a red lip (which was a bit overload). Eyes are killer feline and skin is flawless – staples for Adele.

Amanda Seyfried – The lilac shadow is a nice touch but somehow takes this look from glam to gimmicky. Amanda is a stunner. Old Hollywood curls and a red lip would have made more of a splash.

Anne Hathaway – Annie is a little bit like Groundhog’s Day for me – the look hasn’t changed much from red carpet to red carpet. She’s an attractive girl, but I wasn’t jumping for joy. Although she opted out of her signature red lip, I would have loved to see a dark, brooding eye and a nude mouth for something new.

Charlize Theron – So few people can pull off this boy cut, but Charlize does it with ease. And that skin – it literally glows from the halo perched above her pretty little head. She’s like an adult version of Tinkerbell — magical!

Helena Bonham Carter – Always my favorite red carpet hair disaster. What is up with HBC and her beehives? Fire that hair stylist, woman! This is not your jam.

Jennifer Hudson – Her body’s looking fit but that hair is weighing her down! Makeup is perfectly appropriate but she needs to chop off about 5 inches… asap.

Jennifer Lawrence – Everything about this look screamed regal – from the billowing strapless dress to the loose updo. And that décolletage – oh my! How sexy is beautiful skin? Love, love, love. And congrats on the win!

Jessica Chastain – Undoubtedly, my favorite look of the night. Old Hollywood glam with a current twist. The gorgeous ginger-hued hair color, deep side part, loose curls and fire engine red lips – all perfection. Bravo!

Melissa McCarthy – Woah, hair (and flushed cheeks!). It’s like a finger in an electrical socket. Too much, too high, and too sprayed. It’s like a bad version of a 1980s ‘do.

Salma Hayek – The hair is like a top knot gone a-wall. It’s so big! I’m digging the charcoal smoky eye and nude lip, but wish she paired it with a softer updo. Sorry, hot stuff.

Sandra Bullock – Love the pencil-straight hair with the side part and the adorned pin. I find the makeup to be a tad caked on, but I am definitely feeling the neutral hues. All-in-all, I like this look for Sandy.

Stacy Keibler – I weirdly like this hair. It’s got a bit of 1920’s flapper mixed with a 2013 show girl. And while her forehead doesn’t move a muscle, those eyebrows are thick and fabulous! Way to go, Mrs. Clooney.