Face Value: The Grammys 2013

grammys-landing-page

Face Value: The Grammys 2013

Wow. The Grammys red carpet really knows how to keep your interest piqued. From fly aways to ex Fly Girl’s and their bare legs, the best part of the show was most definitely before any of the awards were even presented. While I live for the glamour of Oscar and the Globes, you pretty much always know what you’re going to expect. The music set, however, is more apt to take chances with their looks. And chances they took!

Here were my favorite and not-so-favorite Grammy 2013 faces:

Alexa Chung – This may just be my favorite look of the evening– and she’s not even in the music industry! This candy apple, fire engine red lip was a big trend for the night, and Alexa wears a red lip right: she keeps the rest of her makeup minimal. I’m really into this loose updo with great face-framing fringe.

Beyonce – Chic yet understated. She keeps it klassy with a capital K. Hair is pulled back into a simple pony, makeup is minimal (for Queen B), and the red lips mean diva.

Carrie Underwood – Eh, it’s all a little too beauty pageant for me. That hair is SO MUCH, she could take out 50 percent of the extensions and still have volume to spare. And although the makeup is pretty, it’s bordering on Barbie. Glossy lips, pink blush, dark smoky eye. What happened to glam Carrie?

Florence Welch – Oy. What happened? I love, love, love this ginger haired songstress, but I’m not love, love, loving this look — at all. While I’m not mad at the loose updo, that brick red lipstick is too damn dark for Flo’s thin lips. And I know that I don’t usually comment on the dresses, but  feel like I can’t not. WTF is this green confection? Designer space suit?

Jennifer Lopez – Talk about lengthening a figure (and undressing a leg). Could that top knot be perched any higher on her head? JLo sports her signature dark eyes and nude lips, and does so with ease. Skin is glowing and has a gorgeous tone, as per usual. But the forehead ain’t moving even if you sucker punched her. That thing is so shiny, I can see P Diddy’s reflection.

Katy Perry – She is such a beautiful girl but tonight, the hair looks seems to be channeling Elvira — that color is about three shades too black. And the nude lipstick is a shade too light so it washes out Katy’s paler complexion. I like my girl best with bold lips. The eyes are straight DIVA, however, so kudos on mega lashes.

Kimbra – This entire look – dress included – is like the hipster winning prom queen. The hair has a cool 1950s vibe and the red lip is right on-trend. The gown, on the other hand, is such a culture shock from hair and makeup that it almost, almost works.

Rihanna – Gorgeous. From that trendy candy apple red lip to the perfect ombre hair (billowing down and down and down…. I’m going to make a bold statement and bet that it’s not real… eeks). Maybe it’s true what they say. Maybe being in love really does show through the skin… Then again, when it’s Chris Brown that “love” refers to, maybe not. That beautiful glow comes courtesy of her island roots!

Solange Knowles – When I mentioned fly away hairs in the opening, this is who I was referring to. What is up with that hair? I love a volumized look, but this just seems unkept, finger-in-socket, step out of bed and onto the red carpet. And can Solange at least pretend to be enjoying herself? This is the Grammys, woman, smile.

Taylor Swift – Pretty as a princess, with the milk maid hair to match. She looks great – contemporary, cute, age-appropriate with smoldering grey smoky eyes that give a pop of rock and roll.