Face Value: The Golden Globes 2013

golden globes beauty

Face Value: The Golden Globes 2013

Award season has officially begun– and it started with a bang! First of all, I don’t think I’ve ever laughed as hard while watching one of these award shows (save for Ricky Gervais’ hosting stint). Yes, I was mostly laughing at how theater arts Anne Hathaway’s two speeches were (someone tweeted that Annie pulled a Kanye), but all of the SNL presenters did a phenomenal job keeping my smile wide.

Now, onto the beauty. While white seems to be the new color for black tie events (I’ve never seen so many wedding gown looks on a red carpet post Labor Day!), nude lips, glam waves and golden skin were a few of the beauty trends that made a splash on the carpet.

Here, a few of the best and worst faces of Golden Globes beauty, 2013.

Adele – Call the hair police, this woman’s updo is breaking the law. That was cheesy, I know, but so too is this beehive! Ugh, I so love Adele, why’d she have to pull a Texan beauty pageant style out for the Globes? As always, that liner is killer. Meow.

Anne Hathaway – Sure, I cringed while she gave her acceptance speech but the berry lipstick and pixie cut are a great look for Annie. Now, if only she could learn to keep her mouth shut!

Claire Danes – The hair is a bit too volumized for my liking, but I can get over that. I can’t, however, come to terms with the smoky eye. It looks dirty and it ages dear Claire.. Too much smoke.

Emily Blunt – I love this princess hair do! And her lightly smoked, chestnut eye and nude glazed lips are perfect to accompany that mega bun.

Eva Longoria – Is she or isn’t she a Parker? I seriously can’t keep up. On the beauty front, I’m quite ambivalent about this look. While her hair is a wee bit too high and her lashes a tad too long, I do love the classic dark eye and nude lip. So glam.

Jennifer Lawrence – I know that JenLove (that was such a good call!) is the it-girl du jour, but I’m not totally dying over this look. I feel like she is drowning in eye shadow. So much eye makeup makes her eyes appear a bit small. And while the updo is pleasant and pretty, I would’ve loved to see her hair down and pencil straight. I want some attitude, JenLove! Werk it.

Jessica Alba – Of all the glam hair, Jessica wears my favorite. Clean side part, perfect amount of bounce in the curls. And subbing a bold orange for red is a brave move, but one that she pulls off effortlessly. BTW, this hair color works so well with her olive skin tone. J’adore the ombre.

Jessica Chastain – Her acceptance speech was one of my favorites (I love a good struggle/ success story!), and Jessica is a beautiful woman but this was not her finest hour in the hair department. While the berry lip is sufficient (although I would have preferred a crimson red hue), this hair style is making the poor girl look as though she is balding! I get what they were going for – Hollywood glam circa the classics – but that center part needs to be a side part, ASAP.

Kerry Washington – I am obsessed with this lob (long bob) and blunt bangs. It’s perfection on Ms. Kerry. Pastels are having a moment at present, and Kerry pulls off a burst of pale purple on the inner corners of her lids like a pro.

Megan Fox – Megan Fox is so sexy, I don’t understand why she went and made her face almost unrecognizable! Lay off the botox and fillers, woman. The side part and retro curls are killing it though. I really hope the hair isn’t fake too! On a more positive note, I like her use of white eye pencil in her lower waterline to accentuate her eyes.

Michelle Dockery – I love her on Downton Abbey without much makeup (get her Downton look here), and I love her in 2013 with sexy lashes and a nude lip. BTW, I have total brow envy. Michelle’s arches just found themselves a place on my vision board.

Rosie Huntington-Whiteley – Sheer perfection. The skin radiates, the makeup defines but doesn’t overwhelm and that exaggerated side part without curls is very new Hollywood glam. And I’m obsessed with this salmon lip color that I’m quite certain is Burberry…

Sienna Miller – She’s my girl crush and I’m totally crushing on her ability to glow with virtually no makeup. The natural lips and eyes (marked by just a bit of mascara), and the hair pulled up and away from her face, really let Sienna’s complexion radiate. I must find out what foundation she is wearing because her skin is flawless here!

Taylor Swift – She’s pretty, that’s a fact. But I was hoping for more attitude in her look. At least give us the bangs, woman! Everything seems a bit too polite. I’m not mad at it, I just want more…. something…

Tina Fey – Kills it! that hair has just the right amount of volume while her makeup is red-carpet appropriate without losing sense of Tina’s silly self.

Who do you think gave best face?

  • Chelsea

    I want Rosie Huntington-Whiteley’s lipstick!

  • I agree with you on pretty much all counts. I thought Claire Danes’ smokey-eye was a little dirty looking too–such a shame because she’s SO gorgeous, almost anything else would have looked magnificent on her! Eva Longoria for me is always a snooze. She always wears the same *super* heavy smokey-eye (with dramatic false lashes), heavy foundation and nude lips everywhere, whether it’s to a basketball game or a red-carpet event. And, in my opinion, her undereye area is always too light. I think she needs to either go a step down in her concealer shade or lose all that brightening powder. A touch of lightness in that area is always good but hers, to me, are like a spotlight. Agreed on Jessica Alba’s fab lip color. Jessica Chastain was SO close to perfection, though I agree about the hair. She at LEAST could have secured each side with a little jeweled barrette and that would have looked better than simple spraying both sides of the part back and then leaving it. And finally, agreed on Megan Fox. Pretty girl–SUCH a terrible shame about all that botox/filler.

  • I actually desired to share this particular blog post, “Face Value: The Golden Globes 2013 –
    Beauty Banter” together with my own pals on facebook. I actuallyonly just wanted to spread ur outstanding
    writing! Thank you, Luigi