Face Value: Met Ball 2014 Beauty

Old Hollywood reigned supreme at the Met Ball gala 2014. Quite a departure from last year’s theme of punk rock where celebrities and fashion’s elite played with pops of color, graphic lines and bedazzled headpieces. Last night’s fete – celebrating the opening of the Charles James: Beyond Fashion exhibit – saw a return to classic glamour, both in beauty and fashion sensibilities (save for a few exceptions).

Trends of the evening:

On a fashion note, back to basics seemed to be the theme of the evening. Muted colors like black, white, nude, silver and grey. Sarah Jessica Parker, Naomi Watts, Rosamund Pike, Margot Robbie, Hailee Steinfeld, Jessica Pare, Chloë Moretz and Cara Delevingne were just a few of the celebrities who opted for classic black and white gowns (or, in the case of Cara Delevingne, a pant suit).

Makeup was, for the most part, classic. Red lips (a bevy of celebs sported this trend including Marion Cotillard, Sarah Silverman, Amanda Peet and Amber Heard), heavy lashes (Jessica Alba and Zooey Deschanel, to name two), gilded eyes (as seen on Amber Heard and Emma Stone), glowing skin (Lupita, Kate and Lily). Hair had two distinct trends – the updo (teased like Amber Heard and Suki Waterhouse or princess like Diane Kruger and Amy Adams) and the exaggerated side part and glam curls (seen on Blake Lively and Jessica Alba).

Here, the best and worst of Met Ball 2014:

Amber Heard – Gilded eyes and a brick-red lip paired with a teased updo… so, so sexy and chic.

Beyonce – This may be my favorite look of the night. A deep cranberry lip, low chignon, pale, simple eye… it’s all so glam. But add this stunning laced headpiece and Old Hollywood has its modern poster child. Perfection!

Blake Lively – YES! Old Hollywood from the nude Gucci gown to the exaggerated side part and glam curls. Opting for a pink lip as opposed to red gives this look a contemporary twist.

Brie Larson – This hair confuses me on so many levels.

Charlize Theron – The quintessential movie star – statuesque, classy and absolutely gorgeous. The black and white Dior gown stuns, as does her staple smokey eye and nude lip.

Diane Kruger – Like many at last night’s gala, Diane opted for princess glamour with a regal updo and polished makeup. Nothing out of the ordinary, but beautiful none-the-less.

Emma Stone – LOVE this hair and makeup. Very bohemian meets Jane of the jungle. The makeup is both dewy and shimmery in pale shades that play well against the bright pink Thakoon number. And that loose side braid is everything.

Felicity Jones – There is something eerily goth about this look. Perhaps it’s the black satin gown and the short, dark hair with equally dark eyes. It’s modern and moody and Felicity pulls it off effortlessly.

Joan Smalls – Bright purple lips – YES! Add in the side fishtail and you’ve got a modern day, Jetson muse.

Kate Mara – Another glowing complexion paired with a gorgeous gilded eye. And that messy, blonde lob (roots and all) is perfection.

Lily Aldridge – The metallic Michael Kors dress pairs perfectly with simple makeup, glowing skin and an effortless bun. Those eyebrows are envy-inducing.

Lupita Nyong’o – Lupita gets serious marks for originality. This green Prada flapper number (complete with a headpiece) is all fashion (love or loathe it). And true to form, she wears color so well. Her purple lids are a unique addition to the emerald dress.

Maggie Gyllenhaal – The bleached blonde pixie cut washes out her skin tone. And she looks seriously tired. Not a winning evening for Mags.

Reese Witherspoon – Very PINKy — not that I’m mad at it. While I’m not always a fan of the matching mouth and gown, this bold pink is a welcomed spring reprieve. Dare I say, Barbie-esque?

Rihanna – That body! And what a statement it makes in a midriff, backless top and floor length Stella McCartney skirt. Sculpted cheekbones, defined eyes and shimmering lips pair perfectly with the all white attire. The hair is a bit high and hectic, but all is forgiven when you take in the look as a whole.

Suki Waterhouse – Another nude dress and red lip combo. Oh, how I love this Burberry tulled gown! The teased updo adds a hint of cheeky fun.

Taylor Swift – One of my favorite pairings is a pink dress and red lips and Taylor works this look perfectly. She’s most always the pinnacle of polished and last night was no exception.

Zoe Kravitz – Bleached blonde hair, don’t care! I loved seeing someone take a chance with color. This red smokey eye and matching stained lip is absolutely stunning.

Zooey Deschanel – She scores points for the on-trend glam lashes, but that hair — woahhh. This is the Met Ball, not a southern beauty pageant! But we Zooey – she’s usually one of our favorites on the hair and makeup front.