Category:  how to

beauty-trends-blogs-daily-beauty-reporter-red-lipstick-girl

Under $10: Red Lipsticks + How To Find The Perfect Red For Your Skin Tone

By | how to, makeup, under $10 | One Comment

Choosing the perfect red to suit your complexion can be complicated, we get it. So, here’s a quick breakdown of how to find the right red for your skin tone. Tan, olive, and deeper skin tones look ravishing in orange-based reds, while fair and light complexions will pop in a blue-red. Medium complexions, a la Emmy Rossum can really go with either blue or orange-reds. And then, of course, there’s a classic red, which is equal parts orange and red and is considered to be universally flattering. So, now you know the rules, but have fun breaking them. If dark and dramatic reds are your thing, go for it! Lupita Nyong’o looks gorgeous in deeper reds, while fair-skinned beauty Kate Bosworth livens up her pout in orange-reds rather often. It really is a personal choice, so some trial-and-error may be necessary.

Luckily, you can explore varying shades of red on a budget with our guide to some of the most fabulous red lipsticks, all for under $10.

Rimmel Lasting Finish by Kate in My Little Black Dress ($5) – A bold and universal classic red inspired by Kate Moss.

L’Oreal Colour Riche Collection Exclusive Lipcolour in Zoe’s Red ($4) – A deep, blue-red for added drama.

Revlon Ultra HD Lipstick in Poppy ($4) – A fire engine orange-red.

NYX Matte Lipstick in Perfect Red ($6) – A crimson red that is, well, pretty perfect.

e.l.f. Moisturizing Lipstick in Razzle Dazzle Red ($3) – A blue-red that packs a dramatic punch.

Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Red Lacquer ($9) – A classic red for every skin tone.

CoverGirl Colorlicious Lipstick in Hot ($8) – As the name suggests, this is a hot cherry-red shade.

NYX Round Case Lipstick in Chaos ($4) – A bright blue-red hue.

Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick, Kate Moss Collection in 111 ($5) – Another Kate Moss-inspired red, this time in an orange-red finish.

Neutrogena Moisture Smooth Lipstick in Classic Red ($8) – Equal parts blue and organs-red, this is a classic color for every skin tone. Formula is more subtle than dramatic.

Shop The Post:

For tips on how to make your red lipstick last all night, click here.

gigi airdried

How To Get Perfect Air-Dried Hair

By | hair, how to | 3 Comments

No, we’re not just full of hot air. It’s time to drop those blow dryers, flat irons, curling irons, and hot rollers in favor of air-dried locks. You know the look: Perfectly imperfect with volume and a random wave or curl. Texture is a must, but air-dried hair differs from beachy waves in that you’re working with your own texture, not creating new texture with the help of hot tools (cue the latter).

While a natural breeze coming off of the ocean is obviously preferable, the drifts felt by NYC subways count as well. Not only are air-dried tresses the hair look du jour, but they’re also a great way to give your strands a nourishing break from all the stressful chemical treatments (we’re looking at you, highlights), and toll of summer’s unenviable climate effects.

Hairstylist Lacy Redway, who works with clients including Olivia Palermo and Jourdan Dunn, gave us some tips on how to master this trend.

BB: Can any type of hair rock this look?
LR: This trend is all about embracing your natural texture. Most women don’t even know what their natural texture looks like because we have been using heat and chemicals to alter our natural textures for so long. I think any hair type can rock this look because it’s more about self acceptance and learning what products work for you.

BB: What products do you recommend for air-drying?
LR: A great mousse and a good hair moisturizer are key for this look. I love Kèrastase mousse Bouffante ($37) and Jane Carter Solution Nourishing Cream ($13).

BB: What if you want the air-dried look, but need to dry your hair quickly? Can you achieve this look with a blow dryer?
LR: A hair dryer diffuser will dry your hair quickly, but without irritating your natural texture. I use ghd Air diffuser ($27) along with my dryer when I’m home, but for travel I pack my YS Park Sock Diffuser ($41).

BB: How can you keep air-dried hair from getting crazy and puffy?
LR: The key is to keep your hair moisturized. Locking in the moisture will help fight against frizz. Also, a good hair mousse will keep your hair in place.

Do you air-dry your hair? Let us know your tips in the comments below!

-Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com

952ef1bf45f0bd9e056731cc332bd1a9

5-Minute Morning Routine: Beauty Products For The Daily

By | how to, makeup | No Comments

What products do you use on the daily? When getting ready for work (or school or the like), we’re all about saving time while still giving our face a quick pick-me-up. Of most importance is that we don’t actually look made up and, as most beauty aficionados are aware, the no-makeup-makeup look can actually prove more timely. But not this one. We’ve rounded up the daily essentials you’ll need to create a gorgeously natural 5-minute morning makeup routine. It’s all you, just a bit touched up!

Start with a tinted moisturizer or BB cream. Most are multitasking, meaning you can get your SPF in with a few essential anti-aging ingredients and light to medium coverage. A healthy complexion is key every.single.day… and so is our sun protection!
TRY: Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer with SPF 20 ($44), comes in 15 oil-free shades and 15 sheer and dewy shades, too, or Dr. Jart+ Illuminating BB Brush Broad Spectrum SPF 30 ($39) for a convenient brush-on BB application.

Filling in brows really does give your face a polished look — and you only need one – two – products at the most. This step shouldn’t take more than 30 seconds… and it’ll make all the difference.
TRY: Nudestix Eyebrow Stylus Pencil & Gel ($24) for a genius pencil-and-gel combo, or Ardell Brow Building Fiber, which is a tinted brow gel that fills in sparse areas with a hint of smudge-proof hue ($8) (genius, too!).

Mascara can be messy and, for some, it takes a few minutes to apply (cough, cough over here). Instead, opt for a multipurpose balm to give eyelashes a natural sheen. A balm can be added to brow and cheek bones as well to highlight the area, while also moisturizing. And, of course, a balm gives great natural gloss to the pout too. (Psst: Leaving your lashes mascara-free will actually make you look younger, try it!)
TRY: Lanolin Lano 101 Ointment Multipurpose Superbly ($19), the OG of all-natural everything balms, or the fan-favorite Rosebud Perfume Co. Rosebud Salve ($6), which applies with a very sheer petal pink finish.

A light flush awakens tired, lackluster skin. A cream blush in a universally flattering pinkish shade will give your complexion a healthy glow. Use this same creamy formula on lips to pull the look together and offer a pop of color to the pout.
TRY: Tata Harper Volumizing Lip & Cheek Tint in Very Sweet ($36), a sheer, buildable and all-natural powder rose pink, or Nars The Multiple ($39) in the coveted Orgasm, a peachy-pink shimmer or Riviera, a sheer pink.

Finish it all off with a corrector stick. Yes, this can cover imperfections like pimples or sun spots. It’ll also neutralize under-eye dark circles. But you can actually lightly – and effortlessly – open up your entire face by adding dabs of a corrector stick to bridge of nose, center of chin and forehead, and directly below cheekbones. Consider this a contour hack. Know your colors: pink cancels out blue and purple on fair skin; yellow cancels it out on olive and deep skin. To create a highlighting formula with your corrector, add a dab of multipurpose balm before applying to areas like under-eyes and brow bone. Voila! TIP: choose a hue that is one shade lighter than your actual skin tone.
TRY: Cle de Peau Concealer ($70), the coveted concealer comes in six shades; Smashbox Color Correcting Stick in Look Less Tired ($23), a light peach for fair skin tones; Cover FX Correct Click Color Corrector in Yellow ($18) for medium skin tones.

What are your morning makeup routine quick tips? Let us know in the comment section below.

Shop The Story: