Category:  how to

Summer Tips

By | how to | 7 Comments

I just love a good beauty tip…

Like rubbing crushed garlic cloves on a popped pimple.

And now, thanks to Physician’s Formula, celebrity make-up artist, Joanna Schlip (who paints the famous faces of stars like Eva Longoria, Scarlett Johansson, Ellen Pompeo and Hilary Duff), we have some fabulous Summer beauty tips!

***To keep her A-List clients sweat-free, Joanna came up with a clever trick that is ideal for all women in the thick of summer: Schlip applies a clear, solid antiperspirant before applying makeup. Focus on applying it to areas like the upper lip, forehead and hairline to fend of sweat and maintain a matte appearance throughout the day so makeup doesn’t slip off.

***Aside from imparting a natural look and offering an ultra-gentle formula for breakout-prone or sensitive skin, Physician’s Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Foundation is sweat-resistant making it the ideal choice for your summer foundation. Silicones help to form a protective barrier on the skin’s surface, so it becomes resistant to sweat allowing makeup to stay put all day long.

***Blotting papers are a must for dabbing away sweat and oil over the course of the day, but what’s a girl to do when there is no blotting paper in sight? Use one of those handy paper toilet seat covers of course. Schlip tears a piece of a toilet seat cover off and blots her way to a perfect matte finish.

***Rather than apply lip gloss/stick in the extreme heat that will just melt off, use a stain or even better, lick your lips and then apply cherry Jello – simply dip fingers into the powder packet of cherry jell-o and apply to moist lips for long lasting, sweat proof stain.

What are your beauty tips? Tell us by leaving a comment in the comment box!

Leaving on a Jet Plane…

By | how to | 5 Comments

Tonight I am returning to California (Los Angeles) after a three month jaunt on the East Coast (New York City). I’m a pretty low-maintenance flyer – give me a seat next to a window, my own TV and a Klonopin and I’m good. If I allow my mind to wander to those frightening places, I do think about the fact that I am breathing recycled air for five in a half hours – this can’t be good for the immune system or the skin….
So this is how I ready myself pre-flight:
I ALWAYS carry hand lotion in my bag. Current Choice: C. O. Bigelow Dr. Hiosous Quince Hand Lotion – non-greasy and effective. I don’t need to apply a million times – once does the trick!
I ALWAYS bring my own liter-size bottle of Evian water.
I ALWAYS take Airborne (I prefer the lemon-lime flavor) an hour before the flight is slated to depart.
I ALWAYS use an astringent, face moisturizer and eye cream before I leave my house. Current Choices: Kiehl’s Blue Astringent Herbal Lotion; Ole Henriksen Herbal Day Creme Anti-Oxidant Formula SPF 15; Shiseido Benefiance Revitalizing Eye Cream – sooooo moisturizing it’s like candy for your eyes… yummy!
I ALWAYS carry my Labello Cherry Lip Balm – it moisturizes without any goo or shine and adds a dab of red color to your pout (just because your traveling doesn’t mean that you have to look insipid!)
And a great tip from my hair fanatic friend, Jenny Cohen, slather your nose with Neosporin – I know, it sounds a little suspect, but it actually aids in fighting off infections from the dry, reprocessed airplane air.
And lastly, I ALWAYS bring my oversized Dolce & Gabbana Sunglasses to ward off wandering eyes (and to shield my own eyes from those nasty fluorescent lights!)
So farewell for now – see you back on the West Coast….
What’s your pre-travel beauty regimen? email us!