was successfully added to your cart.

Category:  diy

DIY Basil Face Wash

By | diy | 13 Comments

Basil has long been celebrated as an ingredient used to remedy acne-prone skin. Known for its antiseptic properties, basil not only helps to eradicate existing acne, but it also wards off new breakouts, soothing the skin and helping with circulation. However, because of the basil leaves high concentration of anti-aging elements, this wash is just as beneficial for fighting off fine lines and a dull complexion.

This DIY basil face wash is great for the pores but is also a wonderful choice for all of you ladies who want a smooth and beautiful, youthful complexion.  Instead of using it as a wash, try it as a weekly mask for longer lasting benefits. Note: this may quite possibly be the easiest wash/ mask I have yet to discover. It will take you all of 5 minutes to prepare and the results are flawless!

What You’ll Need:
20-30 Fresh Basil Leaves
Organic plain yogurt (optional)
Distilled water

Benefits of the Ingredients:
Basil – The oil can aid in removing dark spots while the antibacterial properties help fight acne. The leaves also contain anti-aging and soothing elements.
Organic Yogurt – Contains zinc, calcium, vitamin B1, B2, B6 and B12, protein and yeast. Zinc helps fight off acne because of its anti-inflammatory properties while calcium is a natural source of antioxidants that help in cell renewal to ward off premature aging. B Vitamins are great to increase blood circulation and prevent acne and protein s leave skin instantly more radiant.

Instructions:
In a bowl, use a wooden spoon (or sub with a mortar and pestle) and crush the fresh basil leaves so that the natural oils are released. This is the basil paste. You can use this with water as a face wash, applying to the face and allowing to sit for 3-5 minutes, once every other day. Rinse with tepid water.

As a mask: Use the paste and leave on the face for up to 20 minutes. For added benefits or for skin that needs a bit of extra soothing, add 1tsp of organic yogurt to your paste and then apply to the face and leave on for up to twenty minutes. Again, rinse with tepid water.

As a toner: Probably my favorite way to use basil is as a toner. You’ll prepare the leaves the same way – grinding and releasing the oils – then add 2 cups of boiling water to the bowl. Allow to steep for around 10-15 minutes, then strain to remove any excess leaves. Store the basil water in a glass container and use morning and evening with a cotton pad, applied to the face, after washing. No need to rinse off, follow with a serum or moisturizer. Will last for 1 week if refrigerated. Enjoy immediate glowing skin.

How will you use your basil leaves?

DIY: Banana Face Mask

By | diy | 4 Comments

It’s bananas how great bananas are for the skin (see what I did there?)! The delicious fruit is chock-full of vitamins A, B, and E, so it’s no surprise that the banana face mask is particularly popular as a DIY complexion corrector. With only 3 ingredients and about 5 minutes prep time, you can concoct a face mask that will rejuvenate, exfoliate, and hydrate. This mask is perfect for post-sun skin care (hello, spring break vaca), or a tired and dull complexion.

*This mask is very similar to the Strawberry Honey Acne Mask (directions here) except it is more hydrating and a better alternative for all skin types including sensitive skin.

What You’ll Need:
1 ripe banana
1 teaspoon of honey
1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup of Quaker Oats rolled oats (optional)

Benefits Of The Ingredients:
Banana – Rich in vitamins A, B and E, bananas are a great natural anti-aging ingredient (Vitamin A increases cell turnover while Vitamin E soothes and moisturizes). Acids from the banana also exfoliate dead skin.
Honey – A natural antibacterial, great for acne-prone skin. Honey – The antibacterial properties in honey benefit acne-prone skin by reducing breakouts and healing current flair ups. Also a natural humectant meaning it locks in necessary hydration.
Lemon – A natural astringent that tightens pores and brightens the complexion (because lemons are packed with Vitamin C and antioxidants).Also an ingredient commonly used to even out skin tone (good for minimizing the appearance of acne scarring).
Oatmeal – A natural, gentle exfoliator. It also soothes a variety of itchy skin conditions like eczema and insect bites by relieving dryness. Overall, great to brighten dull or sensitive skin.

Directions:
In a bowl, mash up the banana, removing any major chunks. Add in 1 TSP of honey and 1 TSP of fresh lemon juice. Mix together, apply to clean skin. Keep it on for 15-20 minutes, rinse off. Do not save any leftovers. Make a new batch each time you plan to use this mask. *If you choose to add oatmeal for more soothing properties, mix in 1/4 cup of rolled oats and let them soak in the mixture for a good 10 minutes before applying to the skin.

10 Of The Very Best Beauty Hacks

By | body, diy, favorites, hair, makeup | 9 Comments

I love a good beauty hack (but then again, who does’t?). From multipurpose products to household items that work just as well – if not better – than expensive store-bought products to application tricks that cut down on your getting ready time, beauty hacks are indispensable to a well-rounded, efficient beauty routine.

While we all have our go-to beauty tricks, here are 10 of the very best beauty hacks for hair, skin, and body:

1. Baby Powder isn’t just for babies. While baby powder has been widely used as a substitute for dry shampoo (a little on the scalp, rub in, flip, and go), it’s also an effective way to curb sweat – from underarms to between your legs (especially in hot and humid climates when your thighs tend to chafe).
TRY: Burt’s Bees Baby Bee Dusting Powder for a natural, healthier baby powder alternative.

2. Is your hair plagued with frizz and flyaways? Take a good old fashioned dryer sheet from your laundry room and gently run it over your hair to tame the frizzes. Works like magic.
TRY: Seventh Generation Natural Fabric Softener Sheets. All-natural is always a better option.

3. Want beachy curls while you sleep? The SoCal Curls contraption will give you better waves than a curling iron. And it does it all while you’re getting your snooze on. I do recommend watching the tutorial first (here).
BUY here.

4. Mascara makes a marvelous liquid eyeliner. It’s true – you’ve got a great, pigmented formula for the taking! Just dip an angled brush onto the mascara wand and apply to your lash line. Use the same mascara on your lashes for a perfect pairing of color and consistency. The waterproof mascaras work like a charm.
TRY: Benefit’s Bad Gal Waterproof Mascara with Make Up For Ever’s Angled Eyeliner Brush.

5. For an all-over, dewy, model-like complexion, mix a dollop of liquid highlighter in with your face moisturizer. If you want coverage and dewiness, combine the highlighter with your favorite foundation, BB cream, or tinted moisturizer.
TRY: Burberry Fresh Glow Luminous Fluid (seriously, the best).

6. I’ve raved about my obsession with lipstick as blush here and here (video included). But did you know that if you add a very small amount of Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream to your cheeks prior to rubbing on the lipstick (or any cream blush for that matter), it’ll actually blend much better – without all of the pulling and tugging. And 8 Hour Cream leaves a gorgeous glow on the skin, so it’s really a two-for-one. You can also use the excess on your lips and a dab on the eyes gives that glossy lid look.
BUY here.

7. Setting your lipstick really does work, especially when going for a bold, colorful hue. And the same trick is applicable to transitioning a glossier formula to that which is more matte. Here’s how you do it: place a tissue over your lipstick-painted pout. Using a brush and a translucent powder, gently dust the powder over the tissue. And voila! Mattified, long lasting color. Use the powder on the rest of your face to set your makeup as well. Just make sure you’re choosing a colorless formula.
TRY: Laura Mercier Mineral Finishing Powder

8. Coconut oil is good for everything, from makeup remover to body moisturizer. But one of my absolute favorite uses for the all-natural oil is as a healthy shaving cream. It actually works better than the store-bought ones! And while you have your tub of coconut oil in the bath, apply to the ends of your hair as a DIY treatment (a favorite of Khloe Kardashian).
TRY: Garden of Life Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (it’s organic!).

9. If you’re a fan of hairspray – I’m all about L’Oreal’s Elnett Satin Hairspray (if you don’t own a can, you’re seriously missing out) – then use it to keep unruly brows in place as well. While brow gels are effective, uncooperative brow hairs like mine need something stronger from time to time. Hairspray is the answer. Spray onto a spooly and brush onto brows in an upward motion.
BUY here.

10. If you’re wearing a bold lip – red included – chances are, color will end up on your teeth. And this is a beauty no-no. So ensure that the color stays off by using these two quick and easy post-lipstick steps. 1 – Put your finger in your mouth and pull it out. You’ll be amazed how much lipstick ends up on the inner part of your lip (which would undoubtedly have ended up on your pearly whites). 2 – Coat your teeth with a thin layer of vaseline or Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream (yet another use for the multipurpose balm). Misplaced lipstick will slide right off. Plus, this professional trick is a red carpet favorite as the coated teeth actually glisten when you smile.

Have a genius beauty hack… Let us know in the comments below!

DIY Earth Tu Face Lavender Whipped Body Oil

By | diy | No Comments
earth tu DIY

Changing weather means lots of skin freak-outs, including plenty of dryness.  Sarah and Marina, the two herbalists behind the purely plant-based, 100% natural skincare line Earth Tu Face, shared this ridiculously simple DIY body oil recipe to solve our woes.  Seriously…it’s as easy as 1-2-3.  Since their Skin Stick ($34) is our favorite do-it-all balm, we knew this recipe would live up to our standards (and yours!), and it absolutely did not disappoint.

What You’ll Need:
2 ounces organic virgin coconut oil
3 ounces organic virgin olive oil
30-40 drops of lavender essential oil

Benefits of the Ingredients:
Coconut Oil – Richly hydrating but also cooling for the skin.  Because it is high in antioxidants, it prevents destructive free-radical activity (known to be the primary cause of aging). It lightens skin spots, blemishes, and scars thanks to lots of vitamin E.
Olive Oil – This ingredient is very similar to our skin’s own natural oil, and is easily absorbed.  It is rich in minerals, vitamins and essential fatty acids to hydrate without clogging pores.
Lavender – Beneficial for a multitude of skin irritations, including scars, burns, sun damage and blemishes.  Fantastic de-stresser.

Instructions:
Combine all ingredients and whisk briskly in a medium size bowl.  Store in a glass jar with a tight lid to keep the formula fresh.

TIP: Use this delicious formula right before bed to take advantage of the calming lavender scent.  After coating your bod in this and taking a few deep breaths, you’ll be out before you know it!

-Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com

DIY: Drunk Elephant Tropical Brightening Face Mask

By | diy, skin | One Comment
mask ingredients

Although we have an absolute bevy of face masks that we love and adore (like these here), can anyone really have too many? Ahhh… NO. We need options! We challenged Tiffany Masterson, Founder of Drunk Elephant, to create the ultimate post-summer sun mask that would make our skin glow with absolute gorgeousness! Her Tropical Brightening Face Mask will (you guessed it!) leave your skin brighter and more youthful with a host of good-enough-to-eat natural ingredients. After just one application, your face will look flushed, smooth, and positively radiant.  Say goodbye to post-summer skin blues…

What You’ll Need:
⅓ cup of papaya
1 teaspoon fresh pineapple juice
2 teaspoons of plain greek yogurt
¼ cup of warmed raw honey
1 teaspoon black pepper

Benefits of the Ingredients:
Papaya – Contains high amounts of the enzyme papain, which exfoliates and brightens skin.
Pineapple Juice – The high levels of vitamin C and the enzyme bromelain fight acne while simultaneously soothing inflammation and swelling.
Greek Yogurt – More enzymes! These ones dissolve dirt and nourish your skin.
Raw Honey – Full of antioxidants, which is beneficial for aging skin.  It is also antibacterial and clarifying.
Black Pepper – This will remove loose dead skin cells and toxins from your skin.  It also helps promote blood circulation and provides more oxygen to your visage.  Finally, it has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.

Instructions:
1. Warm honey either in a saucepan or in the microwave.
2. In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.  To make the mixture extra smooth, consider blending in a Cuisinart.
3. Apply a thin layer of mixture to your face, and allow to dry.
4. With warm water, gently remove the dried mask with circular movements to wash away all the dead skin cells, dirt, and grime.

TIP: For an extra glowy finish, apply Drunk Elephant Virgin Marula Luxury Facial Oil ($72) after rinsing.

*Make a fresh batch for each application.

-Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com

DIY: Oatmeal, Honey, Yogurt & Strawberry Mask

By | diy | 15 Comments

(click “read more” for video)

This mask is definitely one of my favorite summer face treats. It’s incredibly hydrating, soothing, and it wards off acne. And if you’re anything like me, your skin has just about had it with the dreadful mix of humidity, sun, and pollutants… and the zits popping up are proof. But rest assured, a few treatments of the popular oatmeal, honey and yogurt mask + the secret anti-aging and anti-acne ingredient, strawberries! – and your skin will be rejuvenated for another month left to melt in the heat.

But this mask isn’t simply reserved for the troubled complexion. It happens to be the ideal treatment post sun, especially if you have (gasp!) unintentionally burned your skin. I have offered up this exact recipe to many of my friends who have had tanning mishaps and, within days, their skin is back to normal, burn be gone, no permanent damage (thanks largely to the incredible benefits of organic yogurt).

Whatever your skin concern may be, enjoy a spa-like treatment, perfectly refreshing for summer. Watch the video here:

What You’ll Need:
Quaker Oats rolled oats
Organic honey
Organic yogurt – plain
Bowl
Blender
Tablespoon
Measuring Cup
3 Strawberries (optional)

Benefits of the Ingredients:
Oatmeal is a natural, gentle exfoliator. It also soothes a variety of itchy skin conditions like eczema and insect bites by relieving dryness. Overall, oatmeal is a natural healer.
Honey binds moisture into the skin and is full of antioxidants so it is wonderful for sun damage. It’s also good for acne because it helps to absorb impurities and dirt.
Yogurt contains enzymes and lactic acid to hydrate and soothe. It can also even the skin tone.
Strawberries are high in Vitamin C, the benefits include lightening, tightening and brightening the complexion. Ideal for acne-prone skin as strawberries are a natural source of AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid), a natural exfoliator.

Instructions:
Blend 1/4 cup of dry rolled oats until the consistency is that of powder. Pour into a bowl. Add 3 tbls of organic yogurt and 2 tbls of honey and mix. Honey may need to be submerged into hot water to make it more malleable.

*If you choose to use strawberries, put them into a blender and mince. Add into the mix (including the juice) and stir well. If the consistency becomes too watery, add more oats.

Let the mixture stand for 10-15 minutes so that the oats are well coated in the moisturizing ingredients of honey and yogurt. Apply to clean skin. Keep on for 10-20 min and then rinse off.

Extras:
Try using just rolled oats – unblended – and water as a light exfoliater and or simply slather on yogurt as a natural healer/ soother, especially good for a sunburn! You can alternate between all three: wash, mask and pure yogurt soother.

DIY: Lightening And Brightening Lemon Toner

By | diy | 11 Comments

If you follow Beauty Banter on Instagram (and you definitely should… click here to join in on the pretty), then you’re aware that I’ve been on a major DIY kick as of late. I posted this photo of last week’s homemade remedies, and that was a day after I posted this Coachella-inspired DIY floral headdress. I’ve always been an ardent fan of arts and crafts and DIY beauty products are a natural extension of this passion. And, well, last week was definitely a creative type of week!

My latest DIY obsession: the lightening and brightening lemon toner, which works wonders on acne-prone skin as well! I decided to concoct said toner because I was noticing sun spots taking up residence on the left side of my face (due to driving — and the obtrusive west coast sun). Lemon is one of the most amazing lightening agents – store bought or otherwise – and this toner will not only lighten and brighten your complexion, it’ll also tighten pores and reduces breakouts.

Here’s the thing about packaged Vitamin C – it’s great for the complexion but it goes bad, literally, overnight. Therefore, the brands must use preservatives to keep the potent ingredient doing its thing. With fresh lemon, a natural source of Vitamin C, you get all of the benefits – tightening, lightening and brightening – without any of the preservatives. And it works so much better and costs a fraction of the price (all of the below ingredients will cost under $7).

Use this toner 1 to 2 times a day to clean off dirt and grime, gently exfoliate dead skin that clogs pores, even uneven skin tone and, of course, lighten and brighten the complexion!

What You’ll Need:
1 Fresh Lemon
Witch Hazel (pre-made astringent will do)
Purified Water (bottled or filtered)
Plastic Bottle like this one

Benefits of the Ingredients:
Lemon – A natural source of Vitamin C; an ingredient commonly used to lighten sun and age spots and even out skin tone; A natural astringent that tightens pores and brightens the complexion.
Witch Hazel – A natural astringent high in tannins.

Directions:
This is the easiest toner that you’ll ever make (well, besides this one). Squeeze the juice out of 1 lemon (make sure to remove the seeds). Combine the lemon juice with half the amount of Witch Hazel (this one here is my absolute favorite) and double the amount of purified water. The Witch Hazel will actually clean your skin while the lemon will lighten sun spots (and freckles!) and brighten the overall complexion.

So, the ratio I am using is 1:.5:2, but feel free to add or decrease any of the ingredients, depending on how your skin reacts. You must dilute the lemon! To start, do 1 part lemon to 2 parts purified water until your skin acclimates, then feel free to add more lemon. If your skin is very oily, add more witch hazel (or try Tea Tree Oil instead!). For dryer skin types, you can use less witch hazel — or sub it out entirely and use rose water (my DIY recipe here).

Store the toner in a plastic bottle. You can use the toner twice a day. Store in a cool, dry place. Make a new batch every two weeks.

*I actually like to use the DIY Apple Cider Vinegar Toner in conjunction with this Lemon Toner. The combination targets all of my skincare concerns: uneven skin tones and acne! (I layer both toners onto a single cotton pad and swipe across my face morning and evening).