Category:  diy

9abb6c8b59b1619a36f764cab262f6f7

DIY: 10 Unconventional Uses For Coconut Oil

By | diy | 3 Comments

Coconut as a beauty ingredient is nothing new. We’re all aware of the many benefits of this super fruit… hydration, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal to name a few. Every spring/ summer, coconut oil seems to be on the minds, lips, and faces of all beauty enthusiasts. And, once again, coconut oil is EVERYWHERE! It’s as if every day there is a new, innovative use for coconut oil in our beauty routines. And everyone is talking about it. From Khloe Kardashian to Emma Stone (who each have a unique use for the fruit), we’re here to prove that coconut oil is the cure-all of all cure-alls.

We’ve scoured the web – and our personal DIY recipes – for the 10 best ways to use coconut oil in your beauty routines:

Psst… You can purchase a big tub of coconut oil from your local grocery. Make sure that it is extra-virgin, organic, and pure for best beautifying results (like this one here).

1. Makeup Remover – Emma Stone and Miranda Kerr are both fans of the oil as an all-natural makeup remover. This is one of my favorite uses, too. Apply to dry skin, work it in, then towel off. I always wash my face after with a cleanser, but if you’re not prone to breakouts, you’ve effectively washed your face as well!
2. Lip and Body Scrub – Because coconut oil is so moisturizing, it’s the ideal base for your DIY scrubs. Just add sugar.
3. Shaving Cream – This is one of my favorite ways to use the oil. It is a highly moisturizing, effective, and safe alternative to bottled shaving creams. Slather on legs, under arms and bikini area, then shave.
4. Cellulite Treatment – Because coconut oil is so hydrating, it pairs wonderfully with a dry brush to aid in breaking up fat pockets, releasing toxins, and increasing circulation. Recipe for the best DIY cellulite scrub here.
5. Nail and Cuticle Hydrator – Rub the hardened coconut oil onto nail and cuticles to prevent hangnails.
6. Eyelash Strengthener – We already know that coconut oil is a great makeup remover, but keep it on your lashes overnight to strengthen and condition.
7. Deodorant – Just add cornstarch and arrowroot powder and within 5 minutes, you’ve got a healthy, safe, aluminum-free deodorant. DIY recipe here.
8. Hair Treatment – Khloe Kardashian has said that she uses pure coconut oil as a hair mask — and so can you. Apply to dry hair and leave on for at least 15 minutes, then rinse. Want serious results? Sleep with the oil on your ends (just make sure to cover your hair with a shower cap).
9. Oil Pulling – Very on trend in the beauty and dental arenas, oil pulling is the newest all natural way to promote oral health. I’ve tried it and it takes a bit of getting used to, but the results are quite amazing. What is oil pulling? Just take a tablespoon of coconut oil and swish it around your mouth for 10-20 minutes, daily. Here’s a great article on this ancient practice.
10. Brush Cleaner – Use liquified coconut oil to clean your hair and makeup brushes. The oil will protect and nourish the bristles while still getting out the grime. Follow with a quick rinse with baby shampoo and water.

If you’re still a bit apprehensive about the super ingredient in its raw form, you can find a plethora of pre-made and packaged products that include coconut oil (and its awesome scent).

Favorites: Lavanila Vanilla Coconut Healthy Deodorant; RMS Beauty Raw Coconut Cream (a favorite of Kerr’s); the entire Yes To Coconut line – the Body Scrub and Ultra Light Spray Body Lotion are a bathing treat that you will not soon forget; Promise Organic Nourishing Coconut Oil for hair, face, and body.

rosehip-oil-cropped-600x510

DIY: 10 Ways to Use Rosehip Oil

By | diy, skin | 2 Comments

There are certain oils that – even when endorsed by celebrities for specific skin and hair ailments – we are weary of dousing on our bodies. But then there’s rosehip oil: Known as one of nature’s most powerful anti-aging ingredients and a favorite of model and Kora organic skincare founder, Miranda Kerr. If you’ve had the pleasure of checking out her hair, skin, and body in countless magazines then you’re well aware that she’s got glowing skin (and hair… and body…). Naturally, we decided to investigate the wonder oil.

Rosehip oil not only smells delicious, but is  a true super ingredient. Packed full of vitamins, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids, it offers a plethora of benefits. Here are our top ten favorite ways to use it:

1. To remove even the most stubborn of waterproof mascara, soak a cotton pad with rosehip oil and gently press over your lash line.

2. If your skin is feeling extra dry, mix a few drops of rosehip oil with a mild face cream such as Embryolisse (our favorite hydrator!).

3. Coat any scratches or cuts from shaving or summer adventuring with rosehip oil to prevent ugly scarring. Even better, regular application will also fade existing scars.

4. Dab a light coating of rosehip oil on your pucker for a lasting and moisturizing lip sheen.

5. Rub a bit of rosehip oil in your hands and then run through your mane to smooth flyaways. Make sure to only use a very small amount to avoid weighing down your locks.

6. Pat some rosehip oil on your cheeks to enhance your natural glow during summer. It will compete with even your most trusted highlighter.

7. Are your brows coarse or unruly? Rosehip oil will condition them while also keeping them in place.

8. Feet take a real beating during sandal season. Before bed, liberally coat your heels with rosehip oil before putting on a pair of sock to wake up with noticeably softer soles.

9. Brittle and dry nails will love a good dose of rosehip oil. It promotes growth while simultaneously preventing hangnails and breakage.

10. Because of the active vitamins, rosehip oil will work just as well as your favorite dark spot correcting serum. Not to mention, it’s definitely more friendly on the wallet.

Do you have any favorite ways of using rosehip oil? Or any products containing the super ingredient that we should try? Let us know in the comments below.

*Buy rosehip oil here.

-Casey Sharbaugh is the blogger behind www.comfortablycasey.com

honey nutmeg cinnamon mask

DIY Honey Nutmeg Cinnamon Mask

By | diy | 5 Comments

This is definitely one of the easier DIY recipes… but it’s also one of the most effective; especially for a good pore cleansing pre-summer. Acneic skin types will find the DIY Honey Nutmeg Cinnamon Mask beneficial as a bi-weekly (everyday for 10 minutes if you’re skin is super congested or scarred) treatment to reduce acne bacteria, swelling, and scars. For normal skin types, this is a great monthly or bi-monthly mask to deep cleanse and exfoliate, especially before a special event or holiday party. Results are immediate: If your skin isn’t glowing, you’re doing it wrong.

While there are several variations of this mask online, we’ve added a pinch of lemon and, that has made all the difference!

What You’ll Need:
1-2 TBSP Honey (organic)
1/2 TSP Nutmeg
1/2 TSP Cinnamon
1 Lemon Wedge

Benefits of the Ingredients:
Honey – A natural humectant that locks in necessary moisture to keep skin hydrated and soothed while antibacterial properties benefit acne-prone skin by reducing breakouts and healing current flair ups.
Nutmeg – An antifungal, antibacterial, and anit-inflammatory ingredient that reduces swelling and clears up infected skin.
Cinnamon – Aids in blood circulation and oxygenation; Plumps the skin; Dries out pimples and blackheads.
Lemon – A natural source of Vitamin C; an ingredient commonly used to lighten sun and age spots and even out skin tone; A natural astringent that tightens pores and brightens the complexion.

Instructions: Mix equal parts nutmeg and cinnamon into a bowl (between 1/2 tsp – 1 tsp). Add 1-2 tbsp of organic honey and mix into a paste. Squeeze your lemon wedge into the paste and mix some more. Massage onto clean skin and chill out for 20-40 minutes. Watch an episode of 2 Broke Girls. Peruse the web for Funny or Die videos. You could always FaceTime with your boyfriend, but not recommended – this mask looks a little cray-cray on the face. When you’re ready to rinse, remove by gently rubbing the mask off in circular motions (hello, exfoliator!). Add water to remove entirely.

Extras: You can also spot treat inflamed zits with a mixture of honey and nutmeg. Leave it on the affected area for a couple of hours. Rinse off, and repeat until the pimple has subsided.

Make a new batch for every mask.

*Note* Cinnamon can irritate some skin types, so test on a small patch of skin before applying to your entire face. If you feel itchy or irritated, wash off immediately.

Actress Dree Hemingway’s DIY Healthy Hair Tips

By | diy, hair | One Comment

Just in time for warmer weather and divine sunshine, super sexy actress and model, Dree Hemingway, offers up her exclusive Do-It-Yourself tip for keeping hair healthy while still enjoying optimal outdoor time.

“I put olive oil and sunscreen in my hair when I’m at the beach. It saves my ends from getting damaged and ends up saving me from expensive treatments when I return to reality,” says  Dree.

 While sun and swim are enjoyable recreational activities, the sun and saltwater can take a huge toll on hair and skin. UV rays can damage the hair shaft, cause split ends and oxidize color-treated hair, while salt water immediately dries out those luscious locks by depleting their natural oils and making them appear lifeless and dull. And all of this damage can cost you unnecessary amounts of money in salon treatments and specialty products needed to repair the harm.

You can avoid the salon trips and protect your hair from the harsh effects of sun damage, including oxidation and breakage, by applying sunscreen to your strands prior to exposure. Olive oil is a natural and inexpensive moisturizer that penetrates the hair, restoring shine, luster and hydration lost from extended exposure to sun and salt water.

TRY: Christophe Robin Moisturizing Hair Oil with Lavender to hydrate and protect with SPF 6 ($47) or Phyto Phytoplage Protective Sun Oil ($30) to protect colored hair from sun, sea, and chlorine.

While both sunscreen and olive oil will help maintain the health and sheen of your tresses, there’s nothing like a wide-brimmed hat to keep the sun’s rays entirely off of your hair and face.

Obsessed with the traditional Panama straw hat. ($48 – and this one can be packed in a suitcase!). For a wider brimmed version, opt for J.Crew’s Textured Summer Straw Hat ($35, in black or natural, again, packable); I wear them constantly, spring and summer. Fashionably sun aware.

basil_face_wash

DIY Basil Face Wash

By | diy | 12 Comments

Basil has long been celebrated as an ingredient used to remedy acne-prone skin. Known for its antiseptic properties, basil not only helps to eradicate existing acne, but it also wards off new breakouts, soothing the skin and helping with circulation. However, because of the basil leaves high concentration of anti-aging elements, this wash is just as beneficial for fighting off fine lines and a dull complexion.

This DIY basil face wash is great for the pores but is also a wonderful choice for all of you ladies who want a smooth and beautiful, youthful complexion.  Instead of using it as a wash, try it as a weekly mask for longer lasting benefits. Note: this may quite possibly be the easiest wash/ mask I have yet to discover. It will take you all of 5 minutes to prepare and the results are flawless!

What You’ll Need:
20-30 Fresh Basil Leaves
Organic plain yogurt (optional)
Distilled water

Benefits of the Ingredients:
Basil – The oil can aid in removing dark spots while the antibacterial properties help fight acne. The leaves also contain anti-aging and soothing elements.
Organic Yogurt – Contains zinc, calcium, vitamin B1, B2, B6 and B12, protein and yeast. Zinc helps fight off acne because of its anti-inflammatory properties while calcium is a natural source of antioxidants that help in cell renewal to ward off premature aging. B Vitamins are great to increase blood circulation and prevent acne and protein s leave skin instantly more radiant.

Instructions:
In a bowl, use a wooden spoon (or sub with a mortar and pestle) and crush the fresh basil leaves so that the natural oils are released. This is the basil paste. You can use this with water as a face wash, applying to the face and allowing to sit for 3-5 minutes, once every other day. Rinse with tepid water.

As a mask: Use the paste and leave on the face for up to 20 minutes. For added benefits or for skin that needs a bit of extra soothing, add 1tsp of organic yogurt to your paste and then apply to the face and leave on for up to twenty minutes. Again, rinse with tepid water.

As a toner: Probably my favorite way to use basil is as a toner. You’ll prepare the leaves the same way – grinding and releasing the oils – then add 2 cups of boiling water to the bowl. Allow to steep for around 10-15 minutes, then strain to remove any excess leaves. Store the basil water in a glass container and use morning and evening with a cotton pad, applied to the face, after washing. No need to rinse off, follow with a serum or moisturizer. Will last for 1 week if refrigerated. Enjoy immediate glowing skin.

How will you use your basil leaves?

banana_face_mask

DIY: Banana Face Mask

By | diy | 4 Comments

It’s bananas how great bananas are for the skin (see what I did there?)! The delicious fruit is chock-full of vitamins A, B, and E, so it’s no surprise that the banana face mask is particularly popular as a DIY complexion corrector. With only 3 ingredients and about 5 minutes prep time, you can concoct a face mask that will rejuvenate, exfoliate, and hydrate. This mask is perfect for post-sun skin care (hello, spring break vaca), or a tired and dull complexion.

*This mask is very similar to the Strawberry Honey Acne Mask (directions here) except it is more hydrating and a better alternative for all skin types including sensitive skin.

What You’ll Need:
1 ripe banana
1 teaspoon of honey
1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup of Quaker Oats rolled oats (optional)

Benefits Of The Ingredients:
Banana – Rich in vitamins A, B and E, bananas are a great natural anti-aging ingredient (Vitamin A increases cell turnover while Vitamin E soothes and moisturizes). Acids from the banana also exfoliate dead skin.
Honey – A natural antibacterial, great for acne-prone skin. Honey – The antibacterial properties in honey benefit acne-prone skin by reducing breakouts and healing current flair ups. Also a natural humectant meaning it locks in necessary hydration.
Lemon – A natural astringent that tightens pores and brightens the complexion (because lemons are packed with Vitamin C and antioxidants).Also an ingredient commonly used to even out skin tone (good for minimizing the appearance of acne scarring).
Oatmeal – A natural, gentle exfoliator. It also soothes a variety of itchy skin conditions like eczema and insect bites by relieving dryness. Overall, great to brighten dull or sensitive skin.

Directions:
In a bowl, mash up the banana, removing any major chunks. Add in 1 TSP of honey and 1 TSP of fresh lemon juice. Mix together, apply to clean skin. Keep it on for 15-20 minutes, rinse off. Do not save any leftovers. Make a new batch each time you plan to use this mask. *If you choose to add oatmeal for more soothing properties, mix in 1/4 cup of rolled oats and let them soak in the mixture for a good 10 minutes before applying to the skin.

599x773x5-lipstick-teeth.jpg.pagespeed.ic.jGBHNb7rHz

10 Of The Very Best Beauty Hacks

By | body, diy, favorites, hair, makeup | 9 Comments

I love a good beauty hack (but then again, who does’t?). From multipurpose products to household items that work just as well – if not better – than expensive store-bought products to application tricks that cut down on your getting ready time, beauty hacks are indispensable to a well-rounded, efficient beauty routine.

While we all have our go-to beauty tricks, here are 10 of the very best beauty hacks for hair, skin, and body:

1. Baby Powder isn’t just for babies. While baby powder has been widely used as a substitute for dry shampoo (a little on the scalp, rub in, flip, and go), it’s also an effective way to curb sweat – from underarms to between your legs (especially in hot and humid climates when your thighs tend to chafe).
TRY: Burt’s Bees Baby Bee Dusting Powder for a natural, healthier baby powder alternative.

2. Is your hair plagued with frizz and flyaways? Take a good old fashioned dryer sheet from your laundry room and gently run it over your hair to tame the frizzes. Works like magic.
TRY: Seventh Generation Natural Fabric Softener Sheets. All-natural is always a better option.

3. Want beachy curls while you sleep? The SoCal Curls contraption will give you better waves than a curling iron. And it does it all while you’re getting your snooze on. I do recommend watching the tutorial first (here).
BUY here.

4. Mascara makes a marvelous liquid eyeliner. It’s true – you’ve got a great, pigmented formula for the taking! Just dip an angled brush onto the mascara wand and apply to your lash line. Use the same mascara on your lashes for a perfect pairing of color and consistency. The waterproof mascaras work like a charm.
TRY: Benefit’s Bad Gal Waterproof Mascara with Make Up For Ever’s Angled Eyeliner Brush.

5. For an all-over, dewy, model-like complexion, mix a dollop of liquid highlighter in with your face moisturizer. If you want coverage and dewiness, combine the highlighter with your favorite foundation, BB cream, or tinted moisturizer.
TRY: Burberry Fresh Glow Luminous Fluid (seriously, the best).

6. I’ve raved about my obsession with lipstick as blush here and here (video included). But did you know that if you add a very small amount of Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream to your cheeks prior to rubbing on the lipstick (or any cream blush for that matter), it’ll actually blend much better – without all of the pulling and tugging. And 8 Hour Cream leaves a gorgeous glow on the skin, so it’s really a two-for-one. You can also use the excess on your lips and a dab on the eyes gives that glossy lid look.
BUY here.

7. Setting your lipstick really does work, especially when going for a bold, colorful hue. And the same trick is applicable to transitioning a glossier formula to that which is more matte. Here’s how you do it: place a tissue over your lipstick-painted pout. Using a brush and a translucent powder, gently dust the powder over the tissue. And voila! Mattified, long lasting color. Use the powder on the rest of your face to set your makeup as well. Just make sure you’re choosing a colorless formula.
TRY: Laura Mercier Mineral Finishing Powder

8. Coconut oil is good for everything, from makeup remover to body moisturizer. But one of my absolute favorite uses for the all-natural oil is as a healthy shaving cream. It actually works better than the store-bought ones! And while you have your tub of coconut oil in the bath, apply to the ends of your hair as a DIY treatment (a favorite of Khloe Kardashian).
TRY: Garden of Life Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (it’s organic!).

9. If you’re a fan of hairspray – I’m all about L’Oreal’s Elnett Satin Hairspray (if you don’t own a can, you’re seriously missing out) – then use it to keep unruly brows in place as well. While brow gels are effective, uncooperative brow hairs like mine need something stronger from time to time. Hairspray is the answer. Spray onto a spooly and brush onto brows in an upward motion.
BUY here.

10. If you’re wearing a bold lip – red included – chances are, color will end up on your teeth. And this is a beauty no-no. So ensure that the color stays off by using these two quick and easy post-lipstick steps. 1 – Put your finger in your mouth and pull it out. You’ll be amazed how much lipstick ends up on the inner part of your lip (which would undoubtedly have ended up on your pearly whites). 2 – Coat your teeth with a thin layer of vaseline or Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream (yet another use for the multipurpose balm). Misplaced lipstick will slide right off. Plus, this professional trick is a red carpet favorite as the coated teeth actually glisten when you smile.

Have a genius beauty hack… Let us know in the comments below!