DIY: 10 Unconventional Uses For Coconut Oil

diy
By October 12, 2017 3 Comments

DIY: 10 Unconventional Uses For Coconut Oil

Coconut as a beauty ingredient is nothing new. We’re all aware of the many benefits of this super fruit… hydration, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal, to name a few. Every season, coconut oil seems to be on the minds, lips, and faces of all beauty enthusiasts. And, once again, coconut oil is EVERYWHERE! It’s as if every day there is a new, innovative use for coconut oil in our beauty routines. And everyone is talking about it. From Khloe Kardashian to Emma Stone (who each have a unique use for the fruit), we’re here to prove that coconut oil is the cure-all of all cure-alls.

We’ve scoured the web – and our personal DIY recipes – for the 10 best ways to use coconut oil in your beauty routines:

Psst… You can purchase a big tub of coconut oil from your local grocery. Make sure that it is extra-virgin, organic, and pure for best beautifying results (like this one here).

1. Makeup Remover – Emma Stone and Miranda Kerr are both fans of the oil as an all-natural makeup remover. This is one of my favorite uses, too. Apply to dry skin, work it in, then towel off. I always wash my face after with a cleanser, but if you’re not prone to breakouts, you’ve effectively washed your face as well!
2. Lip and Body Scrub – Because coconut oil is so moisturizing, it’s the ideal base for your DIY scrubs. Just add sugar.
3. Shaving Cream – This is one of my favorite ways to use the oil. It is a highly moisturizing, effective, and safe alternative to bottled shaving creams. Slather on legs, under arms and bikini area, then shave.
4. Cellulite Treatment – Because coconut oil is so hydrating, it pairs wonderfully with a dry brush to aid in breaking up fat pockets, releasing toxins, and increasing circulation. Recipe for the best DIY cellulite scrub here.
5. Nail and Cuticle Hydrator – Rub the hardened coconut oil onto nail and cuticles to prevent hangnails.
6. Eyelash Strengthener – We already know that coconut oil is a great makeup remover, but keep it on your lashes overnight to strengthen and condition.
7. Deodorant – Just add cornstarch and arrowroot powder and within 5 minutes, you’ve got a healthy, safe, aluminum-free deodorant. DIY recipe here.
8. Hair Treatment – Khloe Kardashian has said that she uses pure coconut oil as a hair mask — and so can you. Apply to dry hair and leave on for at least 15 minutes, then rinse. Want serious results? Sleep with the oil on your ends (just make sure to cover your hair with a shower cap).
9. Oil Pulling – Very on trend in the beauty and dental arenas, oil pulling is the newest all natural way to promote oral health. I’ve tried it and it takes a bit of getting used to, but the results are quite amazing. What is oil pulling? Just take a tablespoon of coconut oil and swish it around your mouth for 10-20 minutes, daily. Here’s a great article on this ancient practice.
10. Brush Cleaner – Use liquified coconut oil to clean your hair and makeup brushes. The oil will protect and nourish the bristles while still getting out the grime. Follow with a quick rinse with baby shampoo and water.

If you’re still a bit apprehensive about the super ingredient in its raw form, you can find a plethora of pre-made and packaged products that include coconut oil (and its awesome scent).

Favorites: Lavanila Vanilla Coconut Healthy Deodorant; RMS Beauty Raw Coconut Cream (a favorite of Kerr’s); the entire Yes To Coconut line – the Body Scrub and Ultra Light Spray Body Lotion are a bathing treat that you will not soon forget; the old school favorite, Mountain Ocean Skin Trip Coconut Moisturizer, like a coconut in a bottle; Marc Jacobs Beauty Under(Cover) Perfecting Coconut Eye Primer ($26), for creaseless eyelids that give eyeshadow an extra pop.

tagged in

  • I often use coconut oil as hair treatment and lip scrub.. even if one does not wear a shower cap after applying the oil in hair.. it does work effectively. People here in India massage their hair with coconut only at least once a week !