Category:  celebrity looks

brows-face-shape

Fall Brows For Every Face Shape

By | celebrity looks, makeup | 3 Comments

“I think there is going to be much more attention to the brow for fall/winter 2015 as attention to the brows is becoming more fashionable; filling in the brows to define the shape.” explains celebrity makeup artist Robert Sesnek, whose clients include Chrissy Teigen, Lily Adridge, and Kiernan Shipka, all of whom have full, fabulous brows.

But emulating the bushy brows of some of our brow crushes, like Cara Delevingne, Lily Collins, Jessica Alba, and Keira Knightley, can prove quite the feat. “The brow shape should always compliment the shape of the person’s face,” Sesnek urges.

So, we asked Sesnek how to wear – and style – your brows this fall, depending on your face shape.

ROUND (like Lily Collins) – A rounder face should have a higher arch to add length the the face.
SQUARE (like Keira Knightley) – A square face should have a rounder/soft arch to soften the features.
OVAL (like Jessica Alba) – An oval face can carry an eyebrow that is not too defined and not too round but somewhere in between.
HEART (like Cara Delevingne) – A heart shaped face should have a straighter brow to lessen the length of the face (and increase width).

To create the perfect brow, Sesnek recommends the following 5 products as mainstays in your brow arsenal:

1. Brow pencil – Use to fill-in and create tiny hairs.
RS PICK: Maybelline Eyebrow Pencil in blonde is possibly one of the truest and best blondes out there. Also, for $3, you can’t beat the price. I prefer Laura Mercier Eye Brow Pencils ($20) for all other shades.

2. Brow Powder – Much easier for a novice. Start small and build up to desired depth.
RS PICK: Laura Mercier Brow Powder Duo ($24) . You get two shades for the perfect match and they last FOREVER!

3. Spooley and/ or Brow Brush – A MUST for softening pencils and powders.
RS PICK: Anastasia Spooley/Eyebrow Brush ($18) for perfectly blended brows, with a spooled on one side and a brush on the other.

4. Brow scissors – Having full arches is great, but trimming the longer hairs is equally as important.
RS PICK: Tweezerman Brow Scissors ($18). I love that they have a softer tip so you can’t cut the skin.

5. Brow gel. The finishing touch to keep brows in shape and looking perfect. You can do tinted brow gel or clear,
RS PICK: CoverGirl Clear Mascara  ($5) holds brows beautifully and has a soft sheen that doesn’t cake.

66th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards - Arrivals

Face Value: Emmys 2014 Beauty Trends

By | celebrity looks | No Comments

Overall, the Emmys beauty was largely underwhelming. Nobody looked significantly tragic, but there weren’t many hair or makeup risks either.

For hair, the common theme of the evening seemed to be updos (Allison Williams and Sarah Hyland had gorgeous ballerina buns in varying heights) and bobs (Kristin Wiig, Julianne Hough, and Kate Mara gave great texture). Red lips always tend to reign supreme come award show season, and the Emmys had their fair share – Claire Danes and Sofia Vergara were just two of the crimson-pouted ladies. And then, of course, there is the award show staple: dark eyes paired with a light lip, as seen on Lizzy Caplan, Kate Mara, and Kerry Washington.

For our roundup, we’re focusing on our favorite Emmys beauty looks: Julia Roberts, who went back to blonde with sexy, beachy strands, Claire Dane’s who glammed it up with a loose braid and bright fire engine red lips, Kerry Washington who brought post-baby gorgeous to a new level with her dark, dark eye, pale lip, and sleek lob (that’s the long bob), Gwen Stefani who was almost unrecognizable with her pencil straight platinum hair, glossy lips (foregoing her usual red), and metallic-silver accented eyes, and, of course, the show stealer of the evening, Cary Joji Fukunaga, director of True Detective, whose french braided pigtails put Jared Leto’s Oscar man-bun to shame.

Click through the slideshow for some of the best Emmys looks of 2014.

Who do you think gave best face?

Style: The Jumpsuit

By | celebrity looks, fashion | One Comment

At the 2014 CFDA awards the leaders of the fashion pack were honored. Taking home the award for Accessories Designers of the Year were Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen for the Row. Tom Ford took home the CFDA Lifetime Achievement Award and Rihanna was named Fashion Icon of the Year. There were a handful of nominees and winners, but  undoubtedly all those that attended felt the pressure to bring their Fashion A game. A reoccurring trend on the red carpet was the jumpsuit. Models Anja Rubik and Jessica Stam brought understated glamour in Stella McCartney and Guilietta , and Lupita Nyong’o wowed in Suno.

Not only is the jumpsuit the unofficial cool girl’s uniform, but it makes getting dressed soo easy. No agonizing over which top to pair with which bottom, this one piece makes dressing effortless. For this reason the jumpsuit is my go to on days when I have limited time or patience..or both. I favor black jumpsuits because they are timeless and make for  good wardrobe staples. I wear Zara’s black Racerback Jumpsuit so often it could qualify as my uniform. And ALC’s Landon Jumpsuit is on my wish list. Whether you are walking the runway or just walking to coffee the jumpsuit is definitely a wardrobe essential.

Wells Butler is a fashion veteran, with over a decade of experience in the industry. She launched and was Creative Director of a successful women’s contemporary label for eight years. For the the past three years she has worked as a  wardrobe stylist and personal shopper. She is a new Mom and is enjoying balancing her career and motherhood.

"Sils Maria" Premiere - The 67th Annual Cannes Film Festival

Get The Look: Chloe Grace Moretz’s Ethereal Cannes Face

By | celebrity looks | One Comment

Chloe Grace Moretz’s Cannes Cloud of Sils Maria premiere face is the epitome of summer. Moretz’s makeup artist Mai Quynh describes it as “soft and ethereal” drawing inspiration from the actress’s “young and flirty” mint green Chanel dress. Hair is left soft and down and makeup is simple with muted colors, defined brows and flawless skin.

Get the look and the products used to create this perfect summer face:

Quynh first prepped the skin with RéVive Moisturizing Renewal Cream ($195), which she lathered on like a mask. She let the cream sit on Chloe’s skin for a few minutes and then rubbed it in completely. Next, she blended Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Flawless Fluide Foundation in Vanillé [not yet in stores: for now, TRY Laura Mericer Creme Smooth Foundation ($50)] on the face and applied Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage ($33) under the eyes and around the nose. To ensure Chloe’s makeup stayed in place all night, she applied Laura Mercier Pressed Setting Powder in Translucent ($34) using the Laura Mercier Powder Brush ($52). She then applied Laura Mercier Second Skin Cheek Colour in Peach Whisper ($25) to the apples of her cheeks to give a natural flush.

Quynh used three different shades of Laura Mercier’s Caviar Stick Eye Colours (one of our all-time favorite creamy shadow sticks) to create a soft, mauve-y eye. She started with Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Sugar Frost ($26), which she applied just in the inner corner. Then she layered Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Amethyst ($26) on the eyelids and blended it into the creases of Chloe’s eyes, fading the shadow upwards. Next, she smudged Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Grey Pearl ($26) along her top lash line, fading it into the Amethyst colour. She mixed the Amethyst and Grey Pearl together and smudged the combination of the two shades along the bottom lash line. She then filled in Chloe’s eyebrows with Laura Mercier Eye Brow Pencil in Fair Blonde ($22). Lastly, Quynh applied two coats of Laura Mercier Faux Lash Mascara in Black ($24) to the top and bottom lashes.

To give the final touch of glamour to the look, Quynh applied Laura Mercier Rouge Nouveau Lip Colour in Coy ($25), a pink-nude, to the lips.

Face Value: Met Ball 2014 Beauty

By | celebrity looks | One Comment

Old Hollywood reigned supreme at the Met Ball gala 2014. Quite a departure from last year’s theme of punk rock where celebrities and fashion’s elite played with pops of color, graphic lines and bedazzled headpieces. Last night’s fete – celebrating the opening of the Charles James: Beyond Fashion exhibit – saw a return to classic glamour, both in beauty and fashion sensibilities (save for a few exceptions).

Trends of the evening:

On a fashion note, back to basics seemed to be the theme of the evening. Muted colors like black, white, nude, silver and grey. Sarah Jessica Parker, Naomi Watts, Rosamund Pike, Margot Robbie, Hailee Steinfeld, Jessica Pare, Chloë Moretz and Cara Delevingne were just a few of the celebrities who opted for classic black and white gowns (or, in the case of Cara Delevingne, a pant suit).

Makeup was, for the most part, classic. Red lips (a bevy of celebs sported this trend including Marion Cotillard, Sarah Silverman, Amanda Peet and Amber Heard), heavy lashes (Jessica Alba and Zooey Deschanel, to name two), gilded eyes (as seen on Amber Heard and Emma Stone), glowing skin (Lupita, Kate and Lily). Hair had two distinct trends – the updo (teased like Amber Heard and Suki Waterhouse or princess like Diane Kruger and Amy Adams) and the exaggerated side part and glam curls (seen on Blake Lively and Jessica Alba).

Here, the best and worst of Met Ball 2014:

Amber Heard – Gilded eyes and a brick-red lip paired with a teased updo… so, so sexy and chic.

Beyonce – This may be my favorite look of the night. A deep cranberry lip, low chignon, pale, simple eye… it’s all so glam. But add this stunning laced headpiece and Old Hollywood has its modern poster child. Perfection!

Blake Lively – YES! Old Hollywood from the nude Gucci gown to the exaggerated side part and glam curls. Opting for a pink lip as opposed to red gives this look a contemporary twist.

Brie Larson – This hair confuses me on so many levels.

Charlize Theron – The quintessential movie star – statuesque, classy and absolutely gorgeous. The black and white Dior gown stuns, as does her staple smokey eye and nude lip.

Diane Kruger – Like many at last night’s gala, Diane opted for princess glamour with a regal updo and polished makeup. Nothing out of the ordinary, but beautiful none-the-less.

Emma Stone – LOVE this hair and makeup. Very bohemian meets Jane of the jungle. The makeup is both dewy and shimmery in pale shades that play well against the bright pink Thakoon number. And that loose side braid is everything.

Felicity Jones – There is something eerily goth about this look. Perhaps it’s the black satin gown and the short, dark hair with equally dark eyes. It’s modern and moody and Felicity pulls it off effortlessly.

Joan Smalls – Bright purple lips – YES! Add in the side fishtail and you’ve got a modern day, Jetson muse.

Kate Mara – Another glowing complexion paired with a gorgeous gilded eye. And that messy, blonde lob (roots and all) is perfection.

Lily Aldridge – The metallic Michael Kors dress pairs perfectly with simple makeup, glowing skin and an effortless bun. Those eyebrows are envy-inducing.

Lupita Nyong’o – Lupita gets serious marks for originality. This green Prada flapper number (complete with a headpiece) is all fashion (love or loathe it). And true to form, she wears color so well. Her purple lids are a unique addition to the emerald dress.

Maggie Gyllenhaal – The bleached blonde pixie cut washes out her skin tone. And she looks seriously tired. Not a winning evening for Mags.

Reese Witherspoon – Very PINKy — not that I’m mad at it. While I’m not always a fan of the matching mouth and gown, this bold pink is a welcomed spring reprieve. Dare I say, Barbie-esque?

Rihanna – That body! And what a statement it makes in a midriff, backless top and floor length Stella McCartney skirt. Sculpted cheekbones, defined eyes and shimmering lips pair perfectly with the all white attire. The hair is a bit high and hectic, but all is forgiven when you take in the look as a whole.

Suki Waterhouse – Another nude dress and red lip combo. Oh, how I love this Burberry tulled gown! The teased updo adds a hint of cheeky fun.

Taylor Swift – One of my favorite pairings is a pink dress and red lips and Taylor works this look perfectly. She’s most always the pinnacle of polished and last night was no exception.

Zoe Kravitz – Bleached blonde hair, don’t care! I loved seeing someone take a chance with color. This red smokey eye and matching stained lip is absolutely stunning.

Zooey Deschanel – She scores points for the on-trend glam lashes, but that hair — woahhh. This is the Met Ball, not a southern beauty pageant! But we Zooey – she’s usually one of our favorites on the hair and makeup front.

landing page

Looking Back: Met Ball 2013

By | celebrity looks, trends | 8 Comments

Tonight’s Met Ball is sure to be entertaining – with gorgeous gowns, flawless makeup and updo’s aplenty. But first, let’s take a look back at last year’s punk-themed celebration.

Here are the 5 trends we loved (and loathed) of The Met Ball 2013:

BRAIDS
Braids were everywhere: from SJP’s intricate fishtail to Miranda Kerr and Cara Delevingne’s punk glam side part and loose french braids. Let’s not forget the braided updos like Jessica Alba and Emily Blunt. Are braids punk? Apparently.

BRAIDS

DARK LIPS
A red-almost blackish lip is most definitely a sign of the rocker times. Women who wore it well (and a few that put a modern twist on the death-like pout): Rooney Mara, Minka Kelley and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley. Get Rosie’s look from tarte makeup artist Monika Blunder. Monika created a custom burgundy shade for Rosie by layering two colors. First, she filled in Rosie’s lips with LipSurgence lip tint in Moody (a deep berry) and then went over it with glamazon pure performance 12-hour lipstick in wild, (a vivid red) to create a long-lasting, edgy hue.

DARK LIPS

HEADPIECES
Nobody embodied punk in quite the same fashion as Sarah Jessica Parker. She KILLED it, in special part due to that amazing Phillip Treacy mohawk headpiece. Celebrity hairstylist Jen Atkin added a jeweled Jennifer Behr headband (like this Swarovski encrusted one here) to Minka Kelly’s braided mastery. And let us not forget about Sienna Miller’s exaggerated side part and awesome studded headpiece (which looks a lot like Eddie Borgo – get your punk on with this Eddie Borgo studded bracelet!).

HEADPIECES

DARK EYES
Ah, the eyes. Punk was about graphic lines and lots of black. Karolina Kurkova and Cara Delevingne stayed true to this punk look while other, like Ginnifer Goodwin, Jessica Pare and January Jones went completely (and tragically) overboard.

DARK EYES - YAY

dark eyes nay

PINK
Adding a punch of neon pink seemed to be a trend of the evening. From Diane Kruger’s textured pony and pink ends to Emily Blunts bold fuschia-lined eyes. Even Gwyneth played with pink, donning the color’s bold hue from head to toe, thanks to Valentino. Get Emily’s eyes by recreating celebrity makeup artist Jenn Streicher’s creative steps: Use NARS Jardin des Plantes Satin Lip Pencil and Desire Powder Blush on lids.

PINK

5 Reasons That Gwyneth Paltrow Is A Beauty Icon

By | celebrity looks, inspiration | 26 Comments

Unless you live under a rock or are immune to all blogs and social media, then you are aware of Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin’s split (insert sad face here) – or, as Gwynie so aptly refers to it, their “conscious uncoupling.”  The La Times had this to say about the Paltrow/ Martin “uncoupling”: “No matter how you spin it, divorce is a failure. It’s a failure of intention. A failure of commitment. A failure of the very thing you promised to do when you wed, which is stay together for the rest of your life. But hey, Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin, if it makes you feel better to torture the language, have at it: Call your divorce after 11 years of marriage a “conscious uncoupling.” It’s still a failure.” Sure, aggressive words, but the internet has been ablaze with similar mockery and messages of contempt.

This is a beauty site so we’ll leave the satirical pontificating to the more opinionated social sites and channels. Instead, we’re going to take a stroll down memory lane and, on a positive note, highlight what the Goop queen has brought to the proverbial beauty table (or vanity, rather).

Here are 5 reasons that Gwyneth Paltrow is a bona fide beauty icon.

1. WWGW – What Would Gwyneth Wear? Words I’m sure 90 percent of you have asked yourself while trolling through your closets. While her attitude may turn you off, her style is most certainly inspiring. Gwyneth is one of a very select few who can rock workout clothes – even sweatpants – while still maintaining a fashionable edge (a difficult feat indeed). But I think what people – at least, myself – identify with when it comes to Gwyneth’s sartorial decisions, is that she so easily fluctuates from lax California beach girl to posh glamour queen. We can’t always flaunt a ball gown – Gwyneth proves that you can look just as chic dressed down in jeans and a t-shirt as you do walking a red carpet.

2. It is because of Gwyneth that we have the lob, or long bob. When the actress chopped her long hair to a style that rested at the shoulder blades back in 2009, a cult classic trend was born.

3. Gwyneth made Tracy Anderson a household name. Sure, you can eye-roll at her self-confessed obsession with working out (I believe she does 3 hours a day… Who has that much time to crunch abs? I digress…), but getting that dialogue going is important, especially in America’s – dare I say – lazy and overweight culture. You like Gwynie’s body? It’s attainable… with a lot of hard work (and even more money). Point is: she’s made a healthy lifestyle aspirational and attainable (purposely leaving out the recipe mockery and vegan quips).

4. She made square-shaped faces and angular jaws kind of cool.. or, at the very least, part of our beauty vernacular. While other celebrities like Demi Moore and Keira Knightley are also part of this angular grouping, it wasn’t until Gwyneth emerged onto the scene that the square-shaped face really got some air time.

5. She’s into aging naturally and she’s not afraid to show it. Sure, other celebrities have proffered similar such statements, but this Instagram photo (last photo in slideshow) of Gwyneth sans makeup, yet with some rather noticeable forehead lines, leads me to believe that she’s being authentic. And in a culture where plastic faces free of any semblance of aging are the norm, it’s refreshing to find a few fine lines on an A-lister. Women age (even celebrities) — and it’s a beautiful thing! Also to note, the actress said to British Cosmopolitan: “I don’t like Botox. I think on some faces it works, but it’s when you can really see it that it starts to look fake. I think people look at tiny patches of their face and try to fix everything — they’ve lost the plot!”

Face Value: The Oscars 2014

By | celebrity looks | 5 Comments

Jared’s hair color (swoon!). Lupita’s gorgeous skin (and dress!). Sandra’s flowing mane. Cate’s… everything. This year’s Oscars red carpet – and telecast – did not surprise. Beautiful gowns, great hair and makeup, not many risks taken, and, of course, a seriously long and slow award show.

But, as we do every year, we must find our favorite faces of the Oscars 2014 so, alas, here they are (in slideshow):

Amy Adams – While I was her biggest fan at Golden Globes 9loved the dress, the makeup and the updo!), last night’s look was a bit of a snooze fest. Amy is beautiful… always… but the updo is awkwardly plastered to her head and the makeup is a bit bland. At least wear a statement lip!

Angelina Jolie – I was discussing Angie with a friend while watching the show. She’s an adult now — not that this should come as a surprise, but for some reason, it does. Everything about Angelina’s look screamed sophistication – the salon-blown hair, the classic makeup, the long-sleeved gown, the jewels! She’s still sexy but in a more understated way, as if she’s not trying anymore — and I like that. In fact, I’m all for mature Angie!

Cate Blanchett – Gorgeous, classy Cate went with Old Hollywood glamour, from her deep side part and loose waves to the flawless complexion, mega lashes and nude lip. Cate can do no wrong – in her performance or her beauty! Oh, and can we discuss those earrings? A confection of opals that shined and shimmered just like the star that wore them.

Jennifer Lawrence – As always, J.Law was the epitome of glamour. Makeup artist Ve Neill focused on flawless skin, a cat eye and a pinky-nude pout which played beautifully against Jennifer’s red Dior gown. I’m a huge fan of the red dress and nude lip duo. However, I must mention the hair – volumized and brushed back with the highlights looking like a lion’s mane is a bit too old fashioned for Jen. Not feeling the ‘do, sadly.

Julia Roberts – Does this woman ever age? Seriously. I’m loving the light(er) hair color on Julia (not to mention this chic updo). And her makeup staples – smokey eye, pale lip – are perfection. All in all, this is a winning Oscar look.

Kerry Washington – I love this woman! She is stunning, even 8 months pregnant. In fact, she’s got that pregnancy glow and it’s working for her. The lilac dress and deep wine lip are such a gorgeous combination. And her hair style – just pinning the front part up and back – is cute, contemporary and shows off Kerry’s pretty features.

Lupita Nyong’o – Fashion, film and beauty’s newest “it” girl did not disappoint. Of Lupita’s look, Celebrity Makeup Artist Nick Barose, says that he was going for “a modern day Liz Taylor on vacation… airy gray eyeshadow, slightly winged out at the outer corners, with peachy lip that’s ethereal and fresh for spring.” And the baby blue dress against her flawless dark skin made for a modern day princess!

Margot Robbie – The beach blonde actress switched up her look in a big way… dying her hair a dark chestnut hue. I’m on the fence… I’m a fan of the ultra sexy dark hair and blue eyes combo (think Megan Fox), but for some reason, this shade is a little jarring against her skin tone (perhaps too much red in the hair color that clashes with the red in her skin tone?). I think I’m loving Margot as a blonde bombshell as opposed to raven-haired-woman-of-mystery. Sigh.

Naomi Watts – Her makeup artist Matthew VanLeeuwen describes this look as “old meets new” and I’m going to have to agree. While the makeup leans toward classic, the pencil straight hair is much more current (what great hair color!). I’m literally having brow envy as these arches are defined, lined and bold. The lilac eye and plum lip are contemporary twists on the classic gold eye and red lip.

Sandra Bullock – Another beauty who doesn’t age. This hair is everything! Deep side part, loose curls, long and beautiful. And while her makeup is definitely safe, it’s Academy Award appropriate. Nobody does a dark, sultry eye quite like Sandy.

rose-byrne-720x720

Face Value: The Emmy’s 2013

By | celebrity looks | 2 Comments

Award season has officially begun! Like Christmas is September. The 65th Primetime Emmy’s red carpet showed a wide display of beauty looks from the classic glam to the not-so-glamorous. Staple trends included the retro waves, signature red lips and the standard dark eyes, nude pout. But, as with all award shows, there are winners and there are losers – even when it comes to hair and makeup.

Click on the slideshow above to see our breakdown of best and worst faces from Emmy 2013.

Anna Faris – Eeks, that shade of bleached blonde is blinding me! Too much eyes, too much lip, too much peroxide. Not a fan of this look but still have crazy love for Anna.

Anna Gunn – Wow! She’s smoking (gun reference intended). I like how she kept it sophisticated but still age appropriate. The makeup doesn’t overwhelm, it enhances. And I’m actually really digging this updo (and I’m not a fan of the red carpet undo).

Claire Danes – This is the first I’ve seen of the bob and… the jury’s still out. I can’t tell if I like it or find it a bit too high fashion for the girl-next-door. I do think that Claire cleans up really well and she fits the red carpet part of girl-gone-glam. Classy Claire.

Connie Britton – I have such a girl crush on Ms. Britton. Her hair is AH-MAZING (always!). Thick, shiny, ginger locks. And the retro waves work well for the actress, especially paired with her signature nude lip and mega lashes.

January Jones – I’ve said this several times – nobody does Mad Men glam quite like J.Jones. That red lip, 60s hair, done up to perfection. She’s the queen of era’s past. Sometimes, January can look a bit off on the red carpet but last night, I think she killed it. Love that she kept the hair glam with the side part and retro waves. The makeup is interesting and I had to look at it several times before coming to the decision that it’s awesome. A rose smokey eye with bright white inner corners? A classic gone futuristic!

Kate Mara – This is my favorite beauty look of the evening. That sleek hair (the length is genius), parted on the side, brushed straight to perfection. The makeup! Flawless skin, beautiful arches, nude lip and the best smokey eye I’ve seen in a long, long time. It’s classic makeup meets contemporary hair and it works!

Lena Dunham – Green eye makeup to match her green dress? Uh… NO. Love you, though.

Lily Rabe – This is like attack of the bleach bottle. That blonde is so, so blonde. Paired with the dark eye and even darker lip, it’s like an angry, aggressive face that wants to attack my eyes. Tone it all down and this would’ve worked.

Mindy Kaling – Another killer updo that I’m really into! And her classic dark, smokey eye and nude lip give Mindy major glam points. There’s nothing funny about this look – it’s fab (okay, that was the worst attempt at a joke… ever)!

Rose Byrne – OBSESSED with this hair! Although I love the actress with her natural chestnut locks, I am definitely not mad at the golden highlights. And the length is perfect for this season’s trendy lob (long bob). Harry Josh (hair stylist extraordinaire) created quite the glam ‘do: side part, loose curls and some added volume for good measure. Rose always wears a great smokey eye, but last night’s mauve-pink lips were the ideal pairing (as opposed to a completely bare pout which would have washed out the new hair hue).

Taylor Schilling – Doesn’t she clean up nicely! I hardly recognized Taylor without the orange jumpsuit. She followed red carpet protocol to a T. Side part, check. Glam waves, check. Red lips, check. Lashes, lashes, and more lashes… check.

RMS-met

How To: Punk Up Your Makeup

By | celebrity looks, how to | 4 Comments

With the Met Ball 2013’s theme being punk, rocker-chic is on the minds of fashionistas worldwide. You can punk up your wardrobe quite effortlessly. Do as my girl crush Sienna Miller did and accessorize with Eddie Borgo’s studded necklace  (the bracelet is pretty punk too) or  Genevieve Jone’s safety pin earrings (I own and LOVE these). But when it comes to makeup, punk can be gravely misinterpreted and tragically overdone. We asked makeup artist extraordinaire Rose-Marie Swift , owner of organic color line RMS Beauty, who painted the faces of beauties like Gisele, Lily Aldridge and Miranda Kerr (one of my personal favorite looks) for the Met’s Chaos to Couture themed gala to impart her rocker-girl wisdom on us common folk at home. Here are Rose-Marie’s tips for punking up your beauty routine (and still looking fierce, not frightening):

“Start by applying a moisturizing foundation that will not look dry or powdery. Glowing is great for a modern day punk look. RMS Beauty “un”cover-up is what I used on Gisele.

Contour and shape the face to sculpt strong angles. We are aiming for a strong look but don’t go too heavy. Blending is the secret to avoid a harsh look. Try a darker shade of RMS Un Cover-Up to contour. For Gisele, I used #33 as foundation and #44 to shade. If you’re fair, try #11 as your foundation and #33 as your contour.

A black raw smokey eye is created preferably with a cream shadow to get a slight creasing for that slept in look. That is both sensuous and alluring without looking cheap. Use RMS Beauty “Karma” Cream Eye Shadow, I used it on both Gisele and the model from the photo (above).

Create a slight blended cat eye for a more wearable look. So that it doesn’t look too 1980’s – and has more of a contemporary spin – concentrate on just a slight sideways oval shape. Don’t go too black because that can borderline in the rock and roll, runway-only direction.

Add glow to reflect light. RMS Living Luminizer or a bit of oil to the cheekbones works well. Stay away from a frosted highlighter direction or it gets too glam.

Powder only in the t-zone and keep it subtle. RMS Beauty “un”powder is fantastic for this purpose. A too heavy powdered look looses the punk effect and ends up looking heavy and flat.

To modernize the look, keep the lips more natural with RMS Beauty Lip Shine in Moment. If you choose to go extreme, use a dark rich reddish burgundy. RMS Beauty lip2cheek in Rapture mixed with Illusive is an ideal color. Stay away from bright red as that, again, changes the look towards a more glam direction

Comb the eyebrows up with a little brow gel or hair spray. For more drama, darken the brow slightly using a soft brown powder shadow.

Lastly, you can add a strong line of black kohl pencil along the inside waterline of the eye for a more dramatic effect.”

–Rose-Marie Swift

*shop all of Rose-Marie’s product picks by clicking on the actual product above.*

*photos courtesy of RMS Beauty; photo credit: Taea Thale