Category:  celebrity looks

sag beauty trends

SAG Beauty Trends

By | celebrity looks | One Comment

The 2015 SAG Awards saw some serious glamour — and we’re not just talking about the floor-grazing gowns. Hair and makeup were elegant, sophisticated, and, for the most part, rather predictable (although still beautiful).

While color was certainly a sartorial trend, classic dark eyes and light lips and the staple red carpet red lip were key beauty trends. Hair had less texture than the Golden Globes, actresses opted instead for sleeker blowouts and clean updos.

Here are our favorite SAG beauty trends:

The Sleek, Side Part:
As seen on Emma Stone, Reese Witherspoon, Natasha Lyonne
While Emma and Reese chose to wear their tresses in a very deliberate, side-parted pony, Natasha opted for a more retro-glam vibe with an extremely exaggerated side part and billowing strands. To recreate the sleekness, look for products with high shine. Try Redken Diamond Oil High Shine Airy Mist ($20), which was sprayed onto Emma’s hair post pony.

The Orange/ Red Lip:
As seen on Emma Stone, Patricia Arquette, Rosemand Pike
A fiery red lip is practically a prerequisite, but last night’s red had hints of orange, making it more modern than red’s of award show’s past. To recreate this lip, try Make Up For Ever Aqua Lip Waterproof Lipliner Pencil in Orange Red ($19), the color used on Rosamund, or Revlon Ultra HD Lipstick in HD Gladiolus ($7), the shade used on Emma.

Smokey Eyes:
As seen on Keira Knightley, Sophia Bush, Reese Witherspoon
Another red carpet prerequisite, the smokey eye is both dramatic and glamorous. The SAG smokey eye was a bit more colorful than usual, focusing on auburn browns and burnt orange hues. To recreate this look, try Laura Mercier Crème Eye Liner in Espresso ($24), which was used on Reese, or Chanel Quadra Eyeshadow in Prélude ($61), which was used on Keira.

The Blowout:
As seen on Claire Danes, Jennifer Aniston, Naomi Watts
While textured tresses reigned supreme as the Golden Globes, the SAG Awards showcased bouncier, fuller blowouts. The key to recreating this look is to add a volumizing product prior to the blowout. Claire’s hair was prepped using Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Boost & Lift Foaming Air MousseVidal Sassoon Pro Series Boost & Lift Foaming Air Mousse ($4).

The Pale Pink Lip:
As seen on Sarah Hyland, Jennifer Aniston, Felicity Jones
Pairing a nude lip with a dark eye is standard, but the SAG Awards nude lip had pinky and/ or peachy undertones, as opposed to beige. This gives a bit more life to the lip — and the face. To recreate this look, try Rouge Dior Lipstick in Trompe L’Oeil, the shade used on Felicity.

golden globes 2015 beauty landing

Face Value: The Golden Globes 2015

By | celebrity looks | 3 Comments

As Justin Timberlake likes to say, The Golden Globes is “taking sexy back.” WOAH. So many hot, feminine, fierce, gorgeous women flaunting their hot, feminine, fierce, gorgeous assets on the red carpet. Award season has officially arrived, and it’s looking to be quite a season indeed.

For beauty, here are the ladies who gave best face (and hair):

*follow along with the slideshow above.

1. Jennifer Lopez – Ummm, she’s 45 — WTF?! That hair, the golden honey-hue that plays so beautifully against her golden honey skin. The va-va-volume that screams sex head. And that perfectly sultry, smokey eye paired with the pasty nude lip?  COME ON, J.LO! She’s really outdone herself.

2. Sienna Miller – Loving this bob, exaggerated side part, and uber texture. It’s like the antithesis of a sleek and sophisticated bob. This girl – and her ‘do’s – got some major edge. A glowing complexion and natural makeup seal the sexy deal.

3. Jessica Chastain – Old Hollywood glam just had a run for its money. Gorgeous loose waves, sideswept bangs, and an exaggerated side part play wonderfully with her metallic, bronzy smokey eye and mauve lip.

4. Naomi Watts – Like a lesson in color, Naomi’s classic red lip pops against her fair skin and bold yellow dress. Mega lashes give eyes that coveted come-hither effect, while hair is kept in its staple style: Side part, bot of texture and bobbed.

5. Kerry Washington – Olivia Pope can do no wrong (except that dress… ummm… NO!). But her makeup is all glam. Kohl-rimmed eyes and a berry lip, paired with a beautiful updo, make Kerry the poster child for sophistication.

6. Emily Blunt – Loving this braided halo updo! The mauvey eyes and peachy lips and cheeks give her an innocent ladylike vibe. It all feels fresh and light and even a bit lady-in-the-countryside.

7. Reese Witherspoon – While the makeup is certainly on point (especially those hyper-flushed cheeks), I would’ve loved to see a bit more texture and spice to her hair. Happy she wore it down, but the exaggerated side part and sideswept bangs felt a little been-there-done-that. All-in-all, a beautiful award show look, so she makes the cut.

8. Lupita Nyong’o – She slayed the carpet at every award show last year, and this year is shaping up to be a repeat. Love the deep purple eyelids which match the dress (yes, matchy-matchy works when done right). And this girl can rock some color. The glossy berry lips are bright and beautiful and really add to the eggplant hue of the garment. A big YES to the natural hair!

9. Chrissy Teigen – Very few women can pull off a pony for a red carpet gala, but Chrissy does more than merely pull it off, she obliterates it (it’s all in the texture, which is clearly a hair trend of 2015 award season). I absolutely love her honey-hued hair color (thanks to celebrity colorist Tracey Cunningham). And again, like J.Lo, the hair and skin tone are like a study on perfect pairing shades. Subtle yet significant makeup draws the eye to those model features. Oh, and that dress… YES!

10. Emma Stone – The lob is fiery red and fiercely textured. Stunning and sexy kohl-rimmed cat eyes and a berry matte lip, combined with her killer jumpsuit give this entire look a fresh spin on red carpet glam. While it’s non-traditional, it is very much GLAMOROUS a la 2015.

Who was YOUR favorite look of the night?

Stars-Red-Carpet-2014-ESPY-Awards

Fall Color Trends With Tracey Cunningham

By | celebrity looks, hair | One Comment

“People really don’t change their hair color every season. I notice that when people want drastic changes, it tends to be emotional. As far as trends, I’m really excited about really dark metallics. Before it was about fluorescents and now the brands are making dark tones, like dark and rich fall colors in suedes and metallics.

Ombre’s going to be “in” forever. It’s a natural progression of your hair. If you look at a kid’s hair color, that is how it naturally grows out. It connects you to your roots. You still have the depth with the lightness around your face. Chrissy Teigen is a great example, but this season we took her a little lighter. Her mom showed me a photo of Chrissy from when she was younger and she was a blonde! I said, “We have to make you blonder.” It had nothing to do with the season, I was inspired by her kid picture.

Brunette – If you’re going to darken up, also lighten up a little bit. Add some ribbons of light around the crown and  face to make it look like you’re backlit. Just to give it a little reflection, like a halo. We just made Lily Aldridge darker, but we kept it light around the crown.

Blonde – When a blonde comes into me and says, ‘I want to go darker,’ I always start with lowlights, and it’s usually just about all they can take. You can also deepen the blonde for fall by using a golden gloss. Just changing the tone of the hair color. We gave Cameron Diaz a very fine high-lift tint highlight and then used a gloss over it with a darker golden color.

Golden – Lowlights are great with any hair color, and again, lowlights would be great here to deepen up the color without making a huge commitment of going too dark. Adding  big slices of dark throughout the hair really gives it contrast, makes it multidimensional, and it looks beautiful. Jennifer Lopez is an example of this look perfected.

Red – I just made Emma Stone darker. I always did lowlights on her for a really deep red, but then we took her blonde for a movie and when she was finished with that, we did a reddish-blonde color by lowlighting the entire head, then rooted her, then glossed her all over with a red. That was really pretty. This season, we just decided to go for the full [bodied] red because she’s doing a show called Cabaret and that color fits with the time period of the show. In the 1920s, they wouldn’t have had lowlights and multidimensional reds.”

— Celebrity colorist Tracey Cunningham; Meche Salon

brows-face-shape

Fall Brows For Every Face Shape

By | celebrity looks, makeup | 3 Comments

“I think there is going to be much more attention to the brow for fall/winter 2015 as attention to the brows is becoming more fashionable; filling in the brows to define the shape.” explains celebrity makeup artist Robert Sesnek, whose clients include Chrissy Teigen, Lily Adridge, and Kiernan Shipka, all of whom have full, fabulous brows.

But emulating the bushy brows of some of our brow crushes, like Cara Delevingne, Lily Collins, Jessica Alba, and Keira Knightley, can prove quite the feat. “The brow shape should always compliment the shape of the person’s face,” Sesnek urges.

So, we asked Sesnek how to wear – and style – your brows this fall, depending on your face shape.

ROUND (like Lily Collins) – A rounder face should have a higher arch to add length the the face.
SQUARE (like Keira Knightley) – A square face should have a rounder/soft arch to soften the features.
OVAL (like Jessica Alba) – An oval face can carry an eyebrow that is not too defined and not too round but somewhere in between.
HEART (like Cara Delevingne) – A heart shaped face should have a straighter brow to lessen the length of the face (and increase width).

To create the perfect brow, Sesnek recommends the following 5 products as mainstays in your brow arsenal:

1. Brow pencil – Use to fill-in and create tiny hairs.
RS PICK: Maybelline Eyebrow Pencil in blonde is possibly one of the truest and best blondes out there. Also, for $3, you can’t beat the price. I prefer Laura Mercier Eye Brow Pencils ($20) for all other shades.

2. Brow Powder – Much easier for a novice. Start small and build up to desired depth.
RS PICK: Laura Mercier Brow Powder Duo ($24) . You get two shades for the perfect match and they last FOREVER!

3. Spooley and/ or Brow Brush – A MUST for softening pencils and powders.
RS PICK: Anastasia Spooley/Eyebrow Brush ($18) for perfectly blended brows, with a spooled on one side and a brush on the other.

4. Brow scissors – Having full arches is great, but trimming the longer hairs is equally as important.
RS PICK: Tweezerman Brow Scissors ($18). I love that they have a softer tip so you can’t cut the skin.

5. Brow gel. The finishing touch to keep brows in shape and looking perfect. You can do tinted brow gel or clear,
RS PICK: CoverGirl Clear Mascara  ($5) holds brows beautifully and has a soft sheen that doesn’t cake.

66th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards - Arrivals

Face Value: Emmys 2014 Beauty Trends

By | celebrity looks | No Comments

Overall, the Emmys beauty was largely underwhelming. Nobody looked significantly tragic, but there weren’t many hair or makeup risks either.

For hair, the common theme of the evening seemed to be updos (Allison Williams and Sarah Hyland had gorgeous ballerina buns in varying heights) and bobs (Kristin Wiig, Julianne Hough, and Kate Mara gave great texture). Red lips always tend to reign supreme come award show season, and the Emmys had their fair share – Claire Danes and Sofia Vergara were just two of the crimson-pouted ladies. And then, of course, there is the award show staple: dark eyes paired with a light lip, as seen on Lizzy Caplan, Kate Mara, and Kerry Washington.

For our roundup, we’re focusing on our favorite Emmys beauty looks: Julia Roberts, who went back to blonde with sexy, beachy strands, Claire Dane’s who glammed it up with a loose braid and bright fire engine red lips, Kerry Washington who brought post-baby gorgeous to a new level with her dark, dark eye, pale lip, and sleek lob (that’s the long bob), Gwen Stefani who was almost unrecognizable with her pencil straight platinum hair, glossy lips (foregoing her usual red), and metallic-silver accented eyes, and, of course, the show stealer of the evening, Cary Joji Fukunaga, director of True Detective, whose french braided pigtails put Jared Leto’s Oscar man-bun to shame.

Click through the slideshow for some of the best Emmys looks of 2014.

Who do you think gave best face?

Style: The Jumpsuit

By | celebrity looks, fashion | One Comment

At the 2014 CFDA awards the leaders of the fashion pack were honored. Taking home the award for Accessories Designers of the Year were Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen for the Row. Tom Ford took home the CFDA Lifetime Achievement Award and Rihanna was named Fashion Icon of the Year. There were a handful of nominees and winners, but  undoubtedly all those that attended felt the pressure to bring their Fashion A game. A reoccurring trend on the red carpet was the jumpsuit. Models Anja Rubik and Jessica Stam brought understated glamour in Stella McCartney and Guilietta , and Lupita Nyong’o wowed in Suno.

Not only is the jumpsuit the unofficial cool girl’s uniform, but it makes getting dressed soo easy. No agonizing over which top to pair with which bottom, this one piece makes dressing effortless. For this reason the jumpsuit is my go to on days when I have limited time or patience..or both. I favor black jumpsuits because they are timeless and make for  good wardrobe staples. I wear Zara’s black Racerback Jumpsuit so often it could qualify as my uniform. And ALC’s Landon Jumpsuit is on my wish list. Whether you are walking the runway or just walking to coffee the jumpsuit is definitely a wardrobe essential.

Wells Butler is a fashion veteran, with over a decade of experience in the industry. She launched and was Creative Director of a successful women’s contemporary label for eight years. For the the past three years she has worked as a  wardrobe stylist and personal shopper. She is a new Mom and is enjoying balancing her career and motherhood.

"Sils Maria" Premiere - The 67th Annual Cannes Film Festival

Get The Look: Chloe Grace Moretz’s Ethereal Cannes Face

By | celebrity looks | One Comment

Chloe Grace Moretz’s Cannes Cloud of Sils Maria premiere face is the epitome of summer. Moretz’s makeup artist Mai Quynh describes it as “soft and ethereal” drawing inspiration from the actress’s “young and flirty” mint green Chanel dress. Hair is left soft and down and makeup is simple with muted colors, defined brows and flawless skin.

Get the look and the products used to create this perfect summer face:

Quynh first prepped the skin with RéVive Moisturizing Renewal Cream ($195), which she lathered on like a mask. She let the cream sit on Chloe’s skin for a few minutes and then rubbed it in completely. Next, she blended Laura Mercier Smooth Finish Flawless Fluide Foundation in Vanillé [not yet in stores: for now, TRY Laura Mericer Creme Smooth Foundation ($50)] on the face and applied Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage ($33) under the eyes and around the nose. To ensure Chloe’s makeup stayed in place all night, she applied Laura Mercier Pressed Setting Powder in Translucent ($34) using the Laura Mercier Powder Brush ($52). She then applied Laura Mercier Second Skin Cheek Colour in Peach Whisper ($25) to the apples of her cheeks to give a natural flush.

Quynh used three different shades of Laura Mercier’s Caviar Stick Eye Colours (one of our all-time favorite creamy shadow sticks) to create a soft, mauve-y eye. She started with Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Sugar Frost ($26), which she applied just in the inner corner. Then she layered Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Amethyst ($26) on the eyelids and blended it into the creases of Chloe’s eyes, fading the shadow upwards. Next, she smudged Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Grey Pearl ($26) along her top lash line, fading it into the Amethyst colour. She mixed the Amethyst and Grey Pearl together and smudged the combination of the two shades along the bottom lash line. She then filled in Chloe’s eyebrows with Laura Mercier Eye Brow Pencil in Fair Blonde ($22). Lastly, Quynh applied two coats of Laura Mercier Faux Lash Mascara in Black ($24) to the top and bottom lashes.

To give the final touch of glamour to the look, Quynh applied Laura Mercier Rouge Nouveau Lip Colour in Coy ($25), a pink-nude, to the lips.

Face Value: Met Ball 2014 Beauty

By | celebrity looks | One Comment

Old Hollywood reigned supreme at the Met Ball gala 2014. Quite a departure from last year’s theme of punk rock where celebrities and fashion’s elite played with pops of color, graphic lines and bedazzled headpieces. Last night’s fete – celebrating the opening of the Charles James: Beyond Fashion exhibit – saw a return to classic glamour, both in beauty and fashion sensibilities (save for a few exceptions).

Trends of the evening:

On a fashion note, back to basics seemed to be the theme of the evening. Muted colors like black, white, nude, silver and grey. Sarah Jessica Parker, Naomi Watts, Rosamund Pike, Margot Robbie, Hailee Steinfeld, Jessica Pare, Chloë Moretz and Cara Delevingne were just a few of the celebrities who opted for classic black and white gowns (or, in the case of Cara Delevingne, a pant suit).

Makeup was, for the most part, classic. Red lips (a bevy of celebs sported this trend including Marion Cotillard, Sarah Silverman, Amanda Peet and Amber Heard), heavy lashes (Jessica Alba and Zooey Deschanel, to name two), gilded eyes (as seen on Amber Heard and Emma Stone), glowing skin (Lupita, Kate and Lily). Hair had two distinct trends – the updo (teased like Amber Heard and Suki Waterhouse or princess like Diane Kruger and Amy Adams) and the exaggerated side part and glam curls (seen on Blake Lively and Jessica Alba).

Here, the best and worst of Met Ball 2014:

Amber Heard – Gilded eyes and a brick-red lip paired with a teased updo… so, so sexy and chic.

Beyonce – This may be my favorite look of the night. A deep cranberry lip, low chignon, pale, simple eye… it’s all so glam. But add this stunning laced headpiece and Old Hollywood has its modern poster child. Perfection!

Blake Lively – YES! Old Hollywood from the nude Gucci gown to the exaggerated side part and glam curls. Opting for a pink lip as opposed to red gives this look a contemporary twist.

Brie Larson – This hair confuses me on so many levels.

Charlize Theron – The quintessential movie star – statuesque, classy and absolutely gorgeous. The black and white Dior gown stuns, as does her staple smokey eye and nude lip.

Diane Kruger – Like many at last night’s gala, Diane opted for princess glamour with a regal updo and polished makeup. Nothing out of the ordinary, but beautiful none-the-less.

Emma Stone – LOVE this hair and makeup. Very bohemian meets Jane of the jungle. The makeup is both dewy and shimmery in pale shades that play well against the bright pink Thakoon number. And that loose side braid is everything.

Felicity Jones – There is something eerily goth about this look. Perhaps it’s the black satin gown and the short, dark hair with equally dark eyes. It’s modern and moody and Felicity pulls it off effortlessly.

Joan Smalls – Bright purple lips – YES! Add in the side fishtail and you’ve got a modern day, Jetson muse.

Kate Mara – Another glowing complexion paired with a gorgeous gilded eye. And that messy, blonde lob (roots and all) is perfection.

Lily Aldridge – The metallic Michael Kors dress pairs perfectly with simple makeup, glowing skin and an effortless bun. Those eyebrows are envy-inducing.

Lupita Nyong’o – Lupita gets serious marks for originality. This green Prada flapper number (complete with a headpiece) is all fashion (love or loathe it). And true to form, she wears color so well. Her purple lids are a unique addition to the emerald dress.

Maggie Gyllenhaal – The bleached blonde pixie cut washes out her skin tone. And she looks seriously tired. Not a winning evening for Mags.

Reese Witherspoon – Very PINKy — not that I’m mad at it. While I’m not always a fan of the matching mouth and gown, this bold pink is a welcomed spring reprieve. Dare I say, Barbie-esque?

Rihanna – That body! And what a statement it makes in a midriff, backless top and floor length Stella McCartney skirt. Sculpted cheekbones, defined eyes and shimmering lips pair perfectly with the all white attire. The hair is a bit high and hectic, but all is forgiven when you take in the look as a whole.

Suki Waterhouse – Another nude dress and red lip combo. Oh, how I love this Burberry tulled gown! The teased updo adds a hint of cheeky fun.

Taylor Swift – One of my favorite pairings is a pink dress and red lips and Taylor works this look perfectly. She’s most always the pinnacle of polished and last night was no exception.

Zoe Kravitz – Bleached blonde hair, don’t care! I loved seeing someone take a chance with color. This red smokey eye and matching stained lip is absolutely stunning.

Zooey Deschanel – She scores points for the on-trend glam lashes, but that hair — woahhh. This is the Met Ball, not a southern beauty pageant! But we Zooey – she’s usually one of our favorites on the hair and makeup front.

landing page

Looking Back: Met Ball 2013

By | celebrity looks, trends | 8 Comments

Tonight’s Met Ball is sure to be entertaining – with gorgeous gowns, flawless makeup and updo’s aplenty. But first, let’s take a look back at last year’s punk-themed celebration.

Here are the 5 trends we loved (and loathed) of The Met Ball 2013:

BRAIDS
Braids were everywhere: from SJP’s intricate fishtail to Miranda Kerr and Cara Delevingne’s punk glam side part and loose french braids. Let’s not forget the braided updos like Jessica Alba and Emily Blunt. Are braids punk? Apparently.

BRAIDS

DARK LIPS
A red-almost blackish lip is most definitely a sign of the rocker times. Women who wore it well (and a few that put a modern twist on the death-like pout): Rooney Mara, Minka Kelley and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley. Get Rosie’s look from tarte makeup artist Monika Blunder. Monika created a custom burgundy shade for Rosie by layering two colors. First, she filled in Rosie’s lips with LipSurgence lip tint in Moody (a deep berry) and then went over it with glamazon pure performance 12-hour lipstick in wild, (a vivid red) to create a long-lasting, edgy hue.

DARK LIPS

HEADPIECES
Nobody embodied punk in quite the same fashion as Sarah Jessica Parker. She KILLED it, in special part due to that amazing Phillip Treacy mohawk headpiece. Celebrity hairstylist Jen Atkin added a jeweled Jennifer Behr headband (like this Swarovski encrusted one here) to Minka Kelly’s braided mastery. And let us not forget about Sienna Miller’s exaggerated side part and awesome studded headpiece (which looks a lot like Eddie Borgo – get your punk on with this Eddie Borgo studded bracelet!).

HEADPIECES

DARK EYES
Ah, the eyes. Punk was about graphic lines and lots of black. Karolina Kurkova and Cara Delevingne stayed true to this punk look while other, like Ginnifer Goodwin, Jessica Pare and January Jones went completely (and tragically) overboard.

DARK EYES - YAY

dark eyes nay

PINK
Adding a punch of neon pink seemed to be a trend of the evening. From Diane Kruger’s textured pony and pink ends to Emily Blunts bold fuschia-lined eyes. Even Gwyneth played with pink, donning the color’s bold hue from head to toe, thanks to Valentino. Get Emily’s eyes by recreating celebrity makeup artist Jenn Streicher’s creative steps: Use NARS Jardin des Plantes Satin Lip Pencil and Desire Powder Blush on lids.

PINK

5 Reasons That Gwyneth Paltrow Is A Beauty Icon

By | celebrity looks, inspiration | 5 Comments

Unless you live under a rock or are immune to all blogs and social media, then you are aware of Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin’s split (insert sad face here) – or, as Gwynie so aptly refers to it, their “conscious uncoupling.”  The La Times had this to say about the Paltrow/ Martin “uncoupling”: “No matter how you spin it, divorce is a failure. It’s a failure of intention. A failure of commitment. A failure of the very thing you promised to do when you wed, which is stay together for the rest of your life. But hey, Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin, if it makes you feel better to torture the language, have at it: Call your divorce after 11 years of marriage a “conscious uncoupling.” It’s still a failure.” Sure, aggressive words, but the internet has been ablaze with similar mockery and messages of contempt.

This is a beauty site so we’ll leave the satirical pontificating to the more opinionated social sites and channels. Instead, we’re going to take a stroll down memory lane and, on a positive note, highlight what the Goop queen has brought to the proverbial beauty table (or vanity, rather).

Here are 5 reasons that Gwyneth Paltrow is a bona fide beauty icon.

1. WWGW – What Would Gwyneth Wear? Words I’m sure 90 percent of you have asked yourself while trolling through your closets. While her attitude may turn you off, her style is most certainly inspiring. Gwyneth is one of a very select few who can rock workout clothes – even sweatpants – while still maintaining a fashionable edge (a difficult feat indeed). But I think what people – at least, myself – identify with when it comes to Gwyneth’s sartorial decisions, is that she so easily fluctuates from lax California beach girl to posh glamour queen. We can’t always flaunt a ball gown – Gwyneth proves that you can look just as chic dressed down in jeans and a t-shirt as you do walking a red carpet.

2. It is because of Gwyneth that we have the lob, or long bob. When the actress chopped her long hair to a style that rested at the shoulder blades back in 2009, a cult classic trend was born.

3. Gwyneth made Tracy Anderson a household name. Sure, you can eye-roll at her self-confessed obsession with working out (I believe she does 3 hours a day… Who has that much time to crunch abs? I digress…), but getting that dialogue going is important, especially in America’s – dare I say – lazy and overweight culture. You like Gwynie’s body? It’s attainable… with a lot of hard work (and even more money). Point is: she’s made a healthy lifestyle aspirational and attainable (purposely leaving out the recipe mockery and vegan quips).

4. She made square-shaped faces and angular jaws kind of cool.. or, at the very least, part of our beauty vernacular. While other celebrities like Demi Moore and Keira Knightley are also part of this angular grouping, it wasn’t until Gwyneth emerged onto the scene that the square-shaped face really got some air time.

5. She’s into aging naturally and she’s not afraid to show it. Sure, other celebrities have proffered similar such statements, but this Instagram photo (last photo in slideshow) of Gwyneth sans makeup, yet with some rather noticeable forehead lines, leads me to believe that she’s being authentic. And in a culture where plastic faces free of any semblance of aging are the norm, it’s refreshing to find a few fine lines on an A-lister. Women age (even celebrities) — and it’s a beautiful thing! Also to note, the actress said to British Cosmopolitan: “I don’t like Botox. I think on some faces it works, but it’s when you can really see it that it starts to look fake. I think people look at tiny patches of their face and try to fix everything — they’ve lost the plot!”