Category:  body

52575fbe9c5ddb78004499b41d9f4600

#TBT: Bath & Body Works Cucumber Melon Body Wash

By | body, tbt | One Comment

For Millennials, the scent of teen spirit was unarguably cucumber melon and could be found in many forms at the beloved mall destination: Bath & Body Works. But the most popular iteration of this sweetly addictive scent was as a body wash. At about $11, the product was a bit more expensive than our teenage drugstore staples. Because of this, it was a frequent birthday gift amongst friends, possibly paired with the coordinating lotion and hand sanitizer. This hyper-perfumey formula isn’t exactly a star cleanser, so we rounded up the best body washes ( and easy on the fragrance!) to use instead. Here’s hoping you’ve moved on from cucumber melon!

Sometimes, coffee just isn’t enough. For days when you need an extra boost, try Mio Skincare QuickStart Exhilarating Shower Gel ($22). It has zingy spearmint as well as guarana for some serious pep.

Once you smell Kiehl’s Since 1851 ‘Grapefruit’ Bath & Shower Liquid Body Cleanser ($25), it’s easy to see why this product is constantly a best-seller for the brand. The grapefruit scent is refreshing but incredibly mild.

Winter makes everyone’s skin super sensitive and a bit painful in that chafing sort of way. If you want a wash that is gentle but still more luxe than your run-of-the-mill drugstore brand, try Ahava Dead Sea Mineral Shower Gel ($18).

Acqua Di Parma Blue Mediterraneo Ginepro di Sardegna Shower Gel ($51) will make you think, if only for a moment, that you are actually showering at a luxury resort in Sardinia instead of in your studio apartment in Brooklyn. Plus, there is literally nothing that can look more chic on the side of your bathtub. Fair warning, the scent is strong, so if you’re smell-sensitive, steer clear. Otherwise, indulge ASAP.

Let’s face it, there are times when  your skin needs a deeper cleaning. Burt’s Bees Peppermint & Rosemary Body Wash ($8) is ideal  for post spin class or other sweat-inducing activities, when you need a serious scrub down. The peppermint gives this wash a cool (as in cool feeling, not cool looking), refreshing twist.

Molton Brown Gingerlily Body Wash ($30) smells divine. It’s filled with hydrating ingredients, but the gentle aroma sets it apart from other similar washes. Plus, it lathers, like really lathers, so you feel clean… everywhere (if you know what we mean).

Casey Sharbaugh currently resides in New York City and works in the fashion industry. In her spare time, you can find Casey spinning, trying new beauty products, or browsing the city for the best ice cream cone. Find her on Twitter at @caseyhshar

cold-skin

How To: Keep Hydrated In A Polar Vortex

By | body, hair, how to, skin | 3 Comments

Winter has been upon us for weeks on end, making the phrase “baby, it’s cold outside” seem significantly less cute than it did during the first frost. As described here, the season isn’t doing any favors for our skin, hair, or nails. Unless the weather Gods decide to grant us some divine intervention, we admit that we need hydration help… STAT. To survive these frigid temps, here are the best tips and tricks (and of course product must-haves) to get you through to spring. Eye on the prize, people; spring is just a month away!

1. Although you may be more inclined to fill your water bottle when the temperatures are scorching, hydrating is just as important (if not more so!) during the winter. If you’re having trouble downing enough fluids, try eating water-dense foods such as cucumbers, strawberries, and broccoli.

2. If your hair is feeling dry and brittle, coat it with a rich mask for extra moisture. Davines MINU Hair Mask ($32) gives hair some major TLC without weighing it down, thanks to hydrating caper blossom extract. Tip: After coating your strands in a hair mask, put on a disposable shower cap for twenty minutes before rinsing for extra hydration. This is a great time to fold laundry, vacuum,  or check Instagram.

3. During winter, there are two times your hands should always be covered: When you’re outside and when you’re in bed! Seriously. Just like you wear gloves when braving the outside forces, use socks as mittens in bed after smearing coconut oil ($10) on your hands. Not exactly a sexy bedtime look, but your hands will thank you for the extra hydration. This trick works just as well on your feet, too.

4. Oil, oil, and more oil! Your skin will soak it up faster than a french fry. If you’ve been shying away from oil for fear of grease, it is officially time to get over it. Dehydrated skin craves moisture from oil. This topic deserves sub-bullets, so bear with us.

– Regular soap can be harsh and drying on sensitive skin. Instead, try L’Occitane Almond Shower Oil ($25). It cleans while simultaneously moisturizing with a mild almond scent. Even the most super sensitive skin will adore it!

– To remove makeup without stripping your skin, Tatcha Pure Step Camellia Cleansing Oil ($48) should be your go-to. It even removes waterproof mascara, which is obviously essential when there are gale force winds that causes your eyes to tear the moment you step outside.

– Before doing your makeup, try BeautyCounter Lustro Face Oil ($64) to lightly moisturize and even out skin. This gives a layer of hydration coupled with an all day glow, but without the slightest bit of slickness or grease.

– For dryness anywhere on your body – from hair, to elbows, to heels – smear on Moroccanoil Pure Argan Oil ($52). This stuff is as good as the purest Marrakech oil, but without the need to travel.

5. Winter colds are a given, which means that red Rudolph noses are in tow. Fun!… not.  For chapped, dry patches of skin, smear on First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream ($30). Redness be gone.

6. Skin can look a bit lackluster and ruddy in these dry conditions, so a good base is key. Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream ($29) is a new tinted moisturizer hybrid product that really lives up to all the hype.  It gets major props for the added SPF 30. Sunscreen is a must year round, even in the dead of winter.

7. It’s way too cold  to leave the house with wet hair in the AM, but blow drying is super drying for your locks. Instead, wash at night and let your hair dry in two loose braids while you’re sleeping. The result: Perfect beach waves when you wake. Give your strands some added shine and hydration with DryBar Gold Mine Shimmering Leave-in Conditioner ($29).

8. Healthy fats can do wonders for your skin. We’re talking flaxseed, walnuts, and avocados, not ice cream and potato chips. Load up on monosaturated fats like Omega-3 fatty acids for glowing skin and nails, and healthy, shiny locks.

Hopefully, these suggestions will help you brave this final stretch of frigid weather. And don’t fret, we’ll be here when you’re freaking out about humidity… although I’m pretty sure any of us would currently welcome that problem.

Casey Sharbaugh currently resides in New York City and works in the fashion industry. In her spare time, you can find Casey spinning, trying new beauty products, or browsing the city for the best ice cream cone. Find her on Twitter at @caseyhshar

112058_8_600

#TBT: Body Glitter

By | body | 7 Comments

Okay, so it’s a new year (yay!), but last night was likely spent frolicking on a dance floor and, chances are, glitter was present. Perhaps on the 2015 signage, a festive tablescape, or even on you. Which leads us to today’s throwback… body glitter!

Let’s take a stroll down memory lane, to our pre-teen years. Whether it was our first concert, a a school dance, or even a New Year’s Eve party, hours were spent pulling together the perfect outfit and applying makeup and, likely, body glitter was in the mix. Regardless of if we preferred The Body Shop or Limited Too, arms and legs were coated with the goopy substance that added flecks of sparkle to our skin. Pretty gross… but come to think of, so were a lot of things we did as teenagers.

Although body glitter is on the outs, there are several products that give a similar – yet less sticky – luminous sheen to your physique. Go ahead and show off those triceps you’ve spent hours toning at hot yoga or your slim calves perfectly sculpted from Soul Cycle, these products will keep the focal point on your favorite assets.

If you want to add a temporary tan to your body, try Lorac TANtalizer Body Bronzing Luminizer ($32). It’s super sheer without a hint of streakiness so you can look like you spent the last week in Tulum when really you’ve been hiding in your cubicle at work.

You know how amazing BB cream is for your face, so why not give that same gift to your body? Jergens BB Body Cream ($10) visibly improves imperfections while illuminating  skin. It goes on sheer, but will adjust to match your skin tone.

The name alone is convincing enough: Charlotte Tilbury Supermodel Body ($65) is described as “shape wear lingerie for the skin.” It firms while also promoting lymphatic drainage thanks to the nifty metal rollerball. As the name suggests, it has a hefty supermodel following.

Described as “glow-shun,” Prtty Peaushun Skin Tight Body Lotion  ($39) is a light lotion that gives the slightest hint of sheen. The best part is its ability to smooth cellulite and hide stretch marks. Even better, it’s 100% natural.

-Casey Sharbaugh currently resides in New York City and works in the fashion industry. In her spare time, you can find Casey spinning, trying new beauty products, or browsing the city for the best ice cream cone. Find her on Twitter at @caseyhshar

mh1313a

#TBT: Bar Soap

By | body | 5 Comments

This throwback is rather timely — a Christmas #TBT of sorts. Remember the infamous scene in the movie A Christmas Story when nine-year-old Ralphie Parker’s mother washes his mouth out with soap after he exasperatingly yells “f*ck!”? Well, that famous holiday flick is sorta responsible for the soap equals punishment scenario. While the film was released in 1938, bar soap is probably one of the oldest beauty products on record… we’re talking ancient Roman era.

Some of us are never able to get that true clean feeling with body wash, so sticking with our tried-and-trusted bar of soap seems rather reasonable. Except that original bar soaps were awful for the skin, stripping natural oils and, in some cases, cleansing with chemical ingredients. Lucky for us, bar soap has evolved quite a bit from its original formulation of animal fat (ew!) and other unhealthy ingredients. Keep reading for our favorite bar soaps of modern times, that both clean and protect the skin:

Kiehl’s Ultimate Man Body Scrub Soap ($15) may be labeled for the guys, but women can appreciate the muscle invigorating and exfoliating experience just as much.

A throwback  in and of itself, Erno Laszlo Sea Mud Deep Cleansing Bar ($45) has been adored by women for countless years due to the magic effects of Dead Sea Mud.

Far from your average bar of Dial, Tom Ford Neroli Portofino Bath Soap ($40) has an absolutely intoxicating scent.

Fresh Sugar Bath Lemon Soap ($13) is filled with moisturizing shea butter along with anti-bacterial brown sugar.

Because few things are more refreshing than peppermint, reach for Malin+Goetz Peppermint Bar Soap ($10) for a deep clean.

Questionable name aside, Bliss Fat Girl Soap ($19) has massaging nubs and stimulating caffeine to help smooth trouble areas like arms, butt, and thighs.

If any mothers are reading this, please refrain from using these bars of soap to punish your children; they are far too luxe. Instead, we recommend sticking to the Santa’s Naughty List punishment during this time of year.

-Casey Sharbaugh currently resides in New York City and works in the fashion industry. In her spare time, you can find Casey spinning, trying new beauty products, or browsing the city for the best ice cream cone. Find her on Twitter at @caseyhshar

korres-7-piece-body-butter-set-d-2014061716041363~293373

Korres Body Butter Keeps Your Body Buttery

By | body | 2 Comments

Come winter, I like my heat blasting — which feels great, but doesn’t bode well for my skin. Humidifiers help keep the air humid, but I’m still constantly applying lip balm (Aquaphor is my go-to; I buy in bulk and stash in my car, purse, and bedside table) and heavy duty body moisturizers… multiple times throughout the day and night.

I’ve been a fan of Korres Body Butter since it launched. I bought my first bottle in Miami while on vacation. I had never experienced such a creamy formula without having to screw off the cap and dig my hands into the jar (which is rather unhygienic). This stuff pumped out of the bottle (yes, this was back when Korres was outfitted with a handy pump) with ease, but still had that thick consistency of a body butter. It worked wonders after a weekend spent sunning on the beach – keeping my tan in check and my body fully hydrated.

Years later, I have rekindled my love affair with Korres, only now the body butter comes in an equally convenient flip-top tube (you still don’t have to dig your hands into a jar!). It hydrates just as well as I remembered, saturating my skin with creamy relief that lasts for hours, even with my heater on blast. Torres butters have a definite scent, but the aromas are pleasing, like natural essential oils as opposed to synthetic and perfumey. They come in seven delicious fragrances like Fig, Jasmine, and Basil Lemon, but my absolute favorite is the Guava. Maybe I’m just a creature of habit (this is the scent that I purchased years ago in Miami), but Guava is the perfect combination of tropical island getaway and spicy, snowy winter wonderland. It reminds me of the beach and the ski slopes. And it moisturizes with gusto, for both extremes. How many body butters can do this?

PRICE TAG: $29

*Psst: Their silky shower gels are awesome, too, and come in complimenting scents. They lather nicely, without stripping natural oils or feeling like they’ve just sloughed off a perfectly healthy layer of skin! I highly recommend.

photo from HSN

Best Winter Fragrances For Seducing Your Man

By | body | 4 Comments
best scents for winter

With the temperatures dropping and the sun setting earlier each evening, it is time to ensure that we all have warm, rich, and cozy cashmere for the cold months to come… and I don’t mean a sweater. The cashmere I’m referring to is the soft, sensual embrace of a partner to make those cold, dark nights an object of desire rather than despair.

Whether you are simply reigniting the proverbial fire, or beginning a fresh affair, here are five winter fragrances guaranteed to seduce your lover… and the optimal occasion to wear each!

The Early Evening Cocktail:

Margiela ‘Replica’ Jazz Club ($125) is for a sexy night on the town, whether you are on the prowl or hand-in-hand with your man. With a jazzy signature of tobacco, leather, and rum, this scent is smooth and warm just like the whiskey in your glass. he vanilla, tonka, musk and vetiver add to the sensual and addictive evening to remember…. leaving your date wanting so much more …

The Dinner Date:

Tom Ford Velvet Orchid ($112-$159) should be worn when you are preparing for a ‘real’ date – stilettos, French lingerie, perfectly manicured fingers (and toes), fresh from the hair salon… This is the night to seduce. The scent, subtly applied to the collarbone, behind the ears, at the nape of the neck, and perhaps a touch on the décolleté, is fresh and deep. Opening with an overdose of citrus, the perfume plays into a faceted floral accord of rose, jasmine, and heliotrope. The finish and real signature lies in the Succan absolute (purified rum extract), honey, balsam, labdanum, sandalwood, and creamy vanilla.

Lock It Down:

Frederic Malle’s Musc Ravageur ($180) may not be new, but it is, by far, the sexiest perfume on the market. Only for the brave and strong, Musc Ravageur screams sex and will definitely ‘seal the deal’ for the entire winter season. Opening with lavender and bergamot, continuing with cinnamon and clove, and leading into sandalwood, tonka bean, vanilla, guaiac wood, and cedar, this scent is fresh and dirty. Bon courage!

Brunch The Day After:

From the famed house of Comme des Garcons, comes Pharrell Williams’ take on a unisex fragrance, Girl ($135). The bottle may be a bit kitsch, but the scent is anything but. Glorified by the sharp, woody, deep signature of previous Comme des Garcons perfumes, Girl opens with a slightly spicy, easy, floral green top that very quickly envelopes into a dark engagement with patchouli, vetyver, sandalwood, and cedar. This scent is to be worn during the day, preferably at brunch on a Sunday, after an intimate night before.

Meeting Their Friends:

The final vote of confidence, the approving nod to confirm that you are in for the winter season — and possibly into the spring, always comes from their friends. On this occasion, your perfume should be subtle, elegant, and softly unforgettable. One of Atelier Cologne’s newest editions, Silver Iris ($175), is a fresh and beautiful whisper of a perfume. Slightly sparkling with pink pepper, easy fruit notes, and soft florals, the real beauty is with the combination of iris, patchouli, white amber, and fluffy musk.

— Fragrance expert, Dawn Goldworm of 12.29, the olfactive custom scent company.

f571921d648bd8a12e1ca5e0fb83e1d8

The 10 Minute Yoga And Meditation Workout

By | body | 3 Comments
Beauty isn’t merely about face creams and lipsticks. Inner wellness and health will do wonders for keeping you fit, fabulous, and youthful so that you can tackle any obstacle with a clear mind and a glowing complexion. I asked my friend Kyle Miller, celebrity yoga guru and founding teacher at Yoga For Bad People, to devise a 10 minute mind and body morning workout exclusively for Beauty Banter readers.
Here’s her super simple but highly effective 10 minute yoga and meditation practice for even the most inflexible of us:
“Now, I know the mornings are rushed and groggy and insane, and that is exactly why you need 10 minutes to focus your attention, purify your energy, set intention and open up the body.  Dedicating even this tiny sliver of time and space towards yourself can reap major benefits.  Increased focus, release of the stress response, efficiency in the organ systems, just to name a few.  You will feel better, more at ease, more poised and kinda like your head is screwed on straight and your body is functioning optimally.  Sound good?  Ok here’s the game plan:
1.  Find Your Seat: Get out of bed, you can have your coffee or tea, your water with lemon, whatever your little ritual is already… and then return to your bedroom, unroll your mat and sit down.  Start with whatever seat is comfortable, kneeling or cross-legged (elevating your seat on pillow is the most comfortable and helps you lengthen your spine: highly recommended!).  Close your eyes and lengthen your spine.  Spread the collar bones.  Relax the shoulders.  Once you have your seat, plug into the earth and really connect.  From that point of connection start to visualize a central energetic channel running in front of your spine straight up through the crown of your head.  Imagine energy moving up the channel from the earth and down the channel, from above.  When you can see and feel and imagine this central channel, you will be centered… you will already feel the poise, the grace of embodiment, the natural gratitude, starting to blossom.
2.  Mantra Meditation:  After finding your seat, getting centered, quiet and still, begin to move the breath through your body. Feel the lungs fill and expand away from the center on the inhales and feel them fall back to the center on the exhales.  Now attach a mantra to these conscious, expansive and beautiful breaths you are taking.  Silently saying “let” on the inhale and “go” on the exhale is one of the first techniques I learned.  You can literally feel stress and tension melt away.  You could also say “SO” on the inhales and “HAM” on the exhales or “I” and “AM.”  Feel free to think of your own two word mantra and silently repeat it to yourself with the movement of the breath.  Your mind will wander, you will lose focus and THAT’S TOTALLY FINE!  Just return your attention to the breath.  And if you’re not feeling the mantras, let them go, and simply use these first few moments in your seat to watch the breath.
3.  Move: Open the eyes, reach your arms out wide, gather some fresh, new energy, the exact type of energy you want for the day, bring your hands to meet over head and then pull them down to in front of your heart. Do this a few times. Feel that you are gathering what you want and drawing it into your center.  Come forward onto your hands and knees and start to move the spine. As you inhale arch the back and as you exhale round the spine, tucking your chin and tail. After a few rounds, start to stir it up. Make big circles with your hips and shoulders, squiggle through the spine, get your neck and jaw and the muscles of your face involved.  Breathe into the nooks and crannies. It should feel amazing. When you’re ready, tuck your toes and press back to downward facing dog.  Peddle the feet and imagine the backs of the legs flushing open, the ball of muscles at the back of calf releasing.  Roll forward to plank and back to dog a few times. Hold plank for a few breaths. Feel how sound and perfect your structure is.  Feel the muscles hug to the bone, activating you for your day. Depending on the time you have, you can take some lunges, stepping one foot forward at a time, you can add warrior poses if you want to strength and feel capable.  Forwards bends to calm the nervous system. Back bends energize, open and also nourish. Keep it simple and remember to keep the focus on integrating the movement with your breathing. Let it be organic, let the body lead you, move outside the box.
4.  Finish:  Closing your practice is a lovely way to seal the effort you put forth.  Return to your seat, lengthen your spine, and close your eyes.  Observe the subtle shifts these few moments of paying attention to yourself have created. Bring your hands in front of your heart and bow your head slightly. This is a posture of gratitude, humility, reverence and respect. Soak in it. Run through what you are grateful for or simply focus on one thing.  Ground your self in a simple and humble appreciation for the world around you. Namaste. Go get ’em, tiger!”
*Kyle Miller is a teacher at Yoga Collective in Venice and the Springs in Arts District.  Follow her on Instagram at @kylemilleryoga.
constance4-640x419

The List: 10 Beauty Products To Buy From Your Local (Organic) Supermarket

By | body, hair, list, makeup | 5 Comments

Full disclosure: I’m not the cooking type. I prefer my food pre-made and my fruits and vegetables cold pressed. But I do still venture to the supermarket on occasion, mainly to stock up on coconut water (my favorite!), snacks, and the occasional salad bar. The other day, while visiting my neighborhood Whole Foods on a quest for a quick and healthy lunch, I found myself in the beauty aisle (no shocker here). And it got me thinking: Could I actually shop for my beauty products and food all under the same roof? The answer is yes.

So, the next time you are at your local, organic market, put yourself to the test: Buy your groceries and your beauty goodies at the same time, in the same place. The grocery store is an untapped resource for some of the best natural beauty products on – and in – the market! The growing popularity of organic foods has spread to skin, hair, and body as well, so, naturally supermarkets are chock-full of healthy beauty delights. Here are my favorites:

*And if you prefer shopping from the convenience of your keyboard (or if you don’t live near a Whole Foods or the like), feel free to click on the links below and purchase the products online.*

1. Alba Botanica Hawaiian Body Scrub Revitalizing Sea Salt ($11) – All Alba products are pretty awesome, but you can’t beat an all-natural Hawaiian scrub… especially in winter when your skin is aching for some serious sloughing. This stuff smells good enough to eat (and is probably healthy enough to nosh on, too, although I wouldn’t suggest trying it!).
2. Nature’s Gate Biotin Strengthening Shampoo ($5) – Of all the “drugstore” shampoos, this is my favorite. It’s free of the bad stuff (sulfates and parabens), and chock-full of the good stuff. Plus, it cleans without stripping, so it’s safe for daily use.
3. Thayers Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel with Organic Aloe Vera Formula Toner with Rose Petal ($8) – An all-natural face toner that wipes away dirt, oil, and acne-causing buildup while leaving skin hydrated and soothed. This stuff is magic!
4. Jason Satin Shower Body Wash Chamomile ($14) – A longtime favorite body wash (that I would still gladly choose over expensive copycats), Jason’s Chamomile lathers to perfection, gently washes, and leaves my skin feeling baby soft. And it smells so delicious, I want to drench myself in it!
5. Dr. Hauschka Melissa Day Cream ($40) – A dreamy moisturizer for combination skin. It smoothes, softens, and purifies, and absorbs quickly for a beautiful matte finish.
6. Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balm in Red Dahlia ($7) – The natural version of Nivea’s Fruity Shine Lip Balms. Shea butter moisturizes while adding a hint of tint to your pout. I carry these around in my bag at all times; they are definitely a buy-in-bulk product.
7. Heritage Rose Petals Rosewater ($6) – Heritage sprays have been a favorite of mine for years. You can use them on your face, hair, and body to douse yourself in refreshing hydration with the most magnificent rosy scent. Sometimes, I even opt out of perfume in favor of this natural, light mist.
8. Coconut Oil ($19) – There are a myriad of ways to use coconut oil (read them here), but I’m partial to using it as a makeup remover and shaving cream (for an exceptionally soft and easy shave). Regardless of how you choose to use the oil, make sure you purchase an organic and virgin make, and have a jar stashed in your beauty cabinet at all times. It never fails.
9. Kiss My Face Sensitive Fluoride-Free Natural Aloe Toothpaste Gel with Xylitol ($5) – Think of this as the all-natural version of Sensodyne. This paste won’t irritate sensitive teeth and gums, and is free of fluoride, artificial colors, flavors, and sweeteners so it’s healthy, too.
10. California Baby Calendula Cream ($21) – Sure, it’s meant for kids, but my skin is as delicate as a baby. And calendula is known for its soothing and calming properties, even for the most sensitive skins. I like to slather my body post-bath with a layer of this thick cream, from shoulders to toes. The mild lavender scent adds extra motivation.

_7174439

Weekly Must-Have: Sunday Riley Disrobe

By | body, weekly must-have | 3 Comments

I love Sunday Riley products. I love the way they smell (mild and calming), I love their super powered ingredients (anti-aging without being ultra harsh), and I adore the product names (Good Genes, anyone?).

Sunday Riley’s body lotion, Disrobe is no exception. I mean, how can you not want to slather yourself with something that goes by the name Disrobe?  A foreshadow of what’s to come (G-d willing!) if you’re using this gorgeously smooth and sensual cream. Yes, I just used the word sensual to describe a body lotion… deal with it.

Okay, so why Disrobe (besides the brilliant name)? Well, for starters, it feels so damn good. It literally offers up exactly the right amount of moisture – not too much where you’re left greasy (although I do love a body oil from time to time), and not too little where you apply and then need to reapply 15 minutes later. Disrobe is intensely hydrating without being thick… which is perfect for summer. The sun, salt water, and scorching temperatures tend to leave skin dehydrated. But because summer is also full of sweat-filled days and nights, you want a moisturizer that will hydrate without feeling heavy. I’m a longtime fan of Korres Body Butter and Kiehl’s Creme de Korps, but both are much more conducive to colder and drier climates because of their thick, body butter-like consistency.

Disrobe also exfoliates while it hydrates, so your skin is left insanely smooth. Actually, it’s kind of like an anti-aging cream, but for your entire body (and yes, our bodies do age, too!). Ingredients like Phosphate firms skin and improves tone while Lactic Acid improves cellular and skin renewal. Yeast Extract encourages healthy skin growth and renews skin to youthful softness and Squalene repairs the skin barrier. Add in Sunday Riley’s proprietary NV-5 Ageless Complex (the magic behind Good Genes which, if you don’t own, you must buy ASAP) and you’ve got yourself the ultimate daily anti-aging body moisturizer.

The scent is ever-so mild, not perfumey or overwhelming. A pleasant mix of vanilla and citrus combine to make Disrobe smell similar to Sunday Riley’s other fabulous face creams (Good Genes and Adrenaline Anti-Aging Concentrate). And the formula is made without Sulfates, Synthetic Fragrances, Synthetic Dyes, or Petrochemicals so it’s basically a healthy bathing treat (my favorite kind) that will restore your limbs back to their youthful, soft, moisturized fabulous selves.

PRICE TAG: $65

Body: Geisha By Bali James

By | body | 4 Comments

One of the most rewarding parts of my job is discovering new products and telling all of you about them . My current find, courtesy of celebrity colorist Tracey Cunningham, is Geisha by Bali James – a luxury bath and body line that combines science and nature (and gorgeous packaging!). UK native Bali James, the creator of these delicious bathing treats, started the company 3 years ago as a way “to seek a greater comprehension of the female and all her beautiful complexities. Geisha is an amalgamation of these elements.” From body lotions to bath washes and oils (and a caviar body buff – yum!), the product range – and the intoxicating concoction of bewitching scents – are influences of James’ global travels.

“If I may step outside of the binary and not state what makes us “better” per se, but to highlight our philosophy which is to encourage the female to incorporate a ritualistic approach to beauty,” explains James.

The two products I tried – Moonflower Body Wash ($38) and Maiko Body Oil ($38) – left my dehydrated winter skin superbly satisfied. The wash, gentle yet lathers into a silky foam, comes from an organic base and is scented with the finest essential oils (as are all of James’ products). The fragrance is a mix of delicate floral, fruity airs of Cherry Blossom, Bergamot and Pear with a hint of vanilla. It’s not perfumey, but the oils linger just long enough after you’ve washed off the suds.

And then there’s the body oil, a necessity for anyone with a serious bathing addiction (like myself). It’s “cultivated using only the finest quality of cold pressed oils: Grape Seed, Sweet Almond, Avocado and Vitamin E along with a coconut derived skin conditioner.” It leaves skin soft, silky, hydrated and with a beautiful glow. The body oil comes in four scents: Maiko, Rose Musk, Ritual, and Allure.

Peruse the entire line here… I’m already dreaming of my caviar body buff…