Bathing Beauty: DJ Nikki Pennie
Nikki Pennie isn’t your average DJ. With her signature fiery red locks (courtesy of celebrity colorist Tracey Cunningham), chiseled cheek bones, and freshly manicured nails, Nikki is the epitome of style meets music – she’s a SHE-J (a term she has dubber herself). Every bit as feminine as a Lady (she hails from London where titles are a thing), Nikki spins an eclectic mix of hip hop and dance tunes for the likes of Jimmy Choo, Rag & Bone, and Christian Dior, to name a few. Here in LA, The British Bardot (the moniker that Nikki has adopted as her She-J persona) has become the fashionista’s DJ, bringing her stylish looks to the turn tables at every fashion party worth attending.
We ask Nikki our favorite beauty questions — and the lipstick that lends itself to her trademark pink pout.
What are your top 5, can’t-live-without products?
1. Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Concealer – I work late nights and need to freshen up my eyes all of the time. This is genius as it gives good coverage and still looks effortless.
2. Chanel Le Lift Creme – I love this as the cosistency is divine and I can put it on day and night. I think when a girl reaches her 30’s she needs to start really looking after her skin and face… This does the trick!
3. Dior Darling Lipstick – I adore the lip colors by Dior. This is a fun, vibrant pink that is subtle enough for day and still gives that pretty pop at night.
4. La Mer The Eye Balm Intense – I put this on reigiously every night. It’s my luxurious necessity.
5. Burt’s Bees Lip Balm – My lips are always chapped, especially since I moved to California where the heat is dry. I can’t go anywhere without this, especially when I am djing, it’s part of my kit.
What is your all-time favorite product?
Portrait of a Lady Parfum by Frederic Malle. I am obsessed with this fragrance! I get more compliments on this than I do anything else!
What product do you buy in bulk?
The Honest Company Body Lotion. I like the consistency and since I lather my skin in it, I need to buy in bulk.
Favorite hair product?
Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray. My hairstylist introduced this to me and it’s fab when I am travelling and going to a gig as I can give my hair an instant lift and that rock-chick Kate Moss look.
You moisturize your face with…
Chanel Le Lift Creme.
Favorite body product?
Portrait of a Lady Body Butter by Frederic Malle. It’s just as good as the perfume that I wear. I can never wear too much of this!
Favorite beauty secret you’ve picked up along the way?
A dear friend of mine bought me Yves Saint Laurent Volume Effet Faux Cils Shocking Mascara and it changed my life. It makes your lashes look endless and thick. It’s the best mascara out there and I have bought this as presents for friends of mine too!
Beauty icon you admire?
Brigitte Bardot. Not only did she inspire my DJ name, but her whole beauty look was effortless and sexy and her makeup was always flawless and cool.