Category:  bathing beauties

ericalauren4

Bathing Beauties: Erica Chan and Lauren Kolodny of HonestlyWTF

By | bathing beauties | 11 Comments

If you haven’t bookmarked Honestly…WTF, do it now. Seriously. It may just be the best advice you take away all week. For those not yet in the know, the site, co-founded and written by the lovely Erica Chan and the equally lovely Lauren Kolodny, is seriously entertaining. The site explodes with personality, visually stimulating images, and a diverse range of need-to-know artist and art work, of-the-moment trends, and, my personal favorite, crafty DIY projects.

Like the site, started in May of 2010, good friends Erica and Lauren are full of great finds and random factoids. Note: Lauren is the one who introduced me to Joe Fresh, the Canadian import clothing store that had opened… a block away from me… in New York City… (and she lives in California).

While their site doesn’t offer much in way of their personal beauty philosophies or routines, Erica tells me that her personal style and beauty regimen are quite similar in that they are both “simple and unfussy, but never without a signature feature or detail.”  She continues, “I am pretty much a minimalist but I never leave the house without bright blue mascara or blush on.” Erica will be happy to know that a burst of color is, in fact, a spring trend, so keep on with the bold blue.

Read on to discover Erica and Lauren’s must-have products, ideas on aging gracefully and DIY trick to shiny hair.

P.S. Check out Honestly… WTF today for Beauty Banter’s post on our very own DIY lip scrub (soft, kissable lips just in time for V-day).

Erica Chan

What are you top 5, can’t live without products?
1. Yves Saint Laurent Faux Cils Mascara in Extreme Blue – I’ve been wearing blue mascara for 10 years and I love that YSL’s Faux Cils makes my eyelashes seem longer than they are. Plus, I’m oddly attached to the scent.
2. Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer – I’ve never been comfortable wearing foundation so tinted moisturizer is sheer enough and the perfect amount of coverage for me.
3. Kate Somerville ExfoliKate – One or twice a week, I give myself an intense exfoliating treatment. ExfoliKate makes my skin feel new again without having to get a facial regularly.
4. Bond No.9 Noho Nuits – My signature scent of which I have mini vials tucked away in every one of my handbags — just in case!
5. Essie Nail Polish – I’m never without painted nails – I probably change my color at least twice a week.

What is your all-time favorite product?
I’ve been using Rosebud Salve for as long as I can remember. Not only is it always on my lips, it’s my cure-all for just about anything – especially in the winter for dry hands, cuticles, elbows, etc.

What product do you buy in bulk?
Biolage by Matrix Hydratherapie Conditioning Balm in the 32oz sizes. For someone who teases her hair but doesn’t ever brush it out, Biolage’s conditioning balm is the best for detangling all of my knots and snarls.

Favorite hair product?
Moroccan Oil Curl Control Creme is my go-to for holding body and keeping the texture in my hair. I either put it in my hair wet and let it air dry, or I use it as a styling creme.

You moisturize your face with…
Ole Henriksen Skin Insulator with SPF in the morning and Mary Kay’s Intense Moisturizing Creme in the evening.

Favorite body product?
I use Aveeno Moisturizing Lotion every day. I especially like that it’s unscented.

Favorite beauty secret you picked up along the way?
A trick that I recently learned for opening up the eyes is to line the inner top lid. It really does make the eyes look wider!

Beauty icon you admire?
Growing up, Love Story was one of my favorite movies and I thought Ali MacGraw was the epitome of natural beauty. And even in her 70s, she has aged so naturally and beautifully. I look forward to aging with grace!

Lauren Kolodny

What are your top 5, can’t-live-without products?
1. Clarisonic Mia – Erica recently introduced me to this magic wand, and I can honestly say that I feel like I’ve had a facial every time I finish washing my face. It’s worth the money.
2. L’Annine hand cream in Avocado – I hate dry, cracked hands. I used to work with my hands a lot outside in the cold on set, so this hand cream became my life saver. I have turned so many girls onto it. I am obsessed and have several tubes at a time.
3. Dolce and Gababna Light Blue perfume – I have been wearing this for years, I can’t imagine smelling like anything else. It makes me happy, therefore I can not live with out it.
4. Some sort of chapstick or lip gloss – I usually have at least 3 different kinds in my purse. I used to be obsessed with, but recently I have discovered Maybelline Baby Lips – LOVE.
5. Mascara – I don’t wear much make up but If I do put anything on its mascara, CoverGirl Lashblast.

What is your all-time favorite product?
Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser – I feel like it really is the best product on the market.

What product do you buy in bulk?
Sunsilk Shampoo and Conditioner. They no longer sell it at drug stores so when I do find it at places like Big Lots and the 99cent store, I buy it all up.

Favorite hair product?
Moroccan Hair Oil Hydrating Styling Cream. I am in love with the smell of this, and it also feels so nice and silky on my hair.

You moisturize your face with…
I am always switching it up but right now I am using bareMinerals Purely Nourishing Moisturizer.

Favorite body product?
Sabon Body Scrub in Vanilla Coconut. It’s smells like vacation and leaves your skin feeling so moisturized. It softens and smoothes your skin like no other.

Favorite beauty secret you’ve picked up along the way?
I always finish off a shower with a cold rinse of my hair. I was told that the cold water closes the follicles and the pores in your hair and scalp, so basically it protects your hair from air pollution, and gives a nice shine. That shit works, try it!

Beauty icon you admire?
I love Kate Hudson. She is never too made up, and she has that beachy California girl look on lock down. Not to mention that her smile is infectious, and nothing is more beautiful than a great smile.

a-Kazu & Kidada

Bathing Beauties: Kidada Jones & Kazu Namise of Phylia de M.

By | bathing beauties | 2 Comments

Growing up in LA, Kidada Jones and her sister, Rashida (Parks and Recreations actress) were the girls that every other girl wanted to be friends with (every town has that girl). They were – and still are – so exquisitely beautiful, talented, interesting, smart and fun to be around. I was thrilled upon hearing of Kidada’s latest endeavor, co-founder of the hair care line, Phylia de M. Besides having created a truly incredible 3-product hair system (thus, no need for fake enthusiasm next time I see her), we’re now both entrepreneurs of beauty. And I love anyone who will sit down and talk beauty with me for hours on end.

I am so happy for Kidada and her partner, the equally beautiful and talented Kazu Namise’s, newfound success with Phylia de M. The heritage of this line  is fascinating, stemming back to an all-natural proprietary blend created by Kazu’s godfather (read more about the line and my product of choice, Connect, here) that restores hair’s health.

While their personal beauty routines are quite carefree, take note of the interesting tips that both women offer in regards to health and natural living. If you believe that beauty comes from within, than Kidada and Kazu are two poster women for the cause.

Kidada Jones

What are your top 5, can’t-live-without products?
1. Phylia de M. CONNECT – not just saying that because I’m involved- I’m involved BECAUSE of it! Keeps my hair growing thick!
2. SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 Gel– OMG – it’s great for anytime and any type of skin.
3. NUDE Advanced Cellular Renewal Serum – I wanted something that was going to get busy on my skin but is nontoxic.
4. Josie Maran Argan Oil -another revolutionary product for cuticles, skin, hair -anywhere, anytime.
5. Epicuren Kukui Nut Coconut After Bath Lotion – One THOUSAND percent! makes me feel like a fresh baked goodie.

What is your all-time favorite product?
Aquaphor -It’s an ointment, moisturizer, skin protectant and it just works!

What product do you buy in bulk?
Coconut Oil

Favorite hair product?
Phylia de M. CONDITION – It detangles my hair, gives it maximum moisture and I can use it in the shower, as a leave-in treatment, or a styling cream.

You moisturize your face with…
SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 Gel combined with Josie Maran Argan Oil

Favorite body product?
Fresh Brown Body Polish. It exfoliates and moisturizes at the same time.

Favorite beauty secret you’ve picked up along the way?
Oils, in general, are underestimated. I apply oils (coconut, argan) and take oils (primrose, plant) They are great for taking off makeup and moisturizing dry & damaged skin and hair.

Beauty icon you admire?
My mother (actress Peggy Lipton) because she is perfectly split between maintaining her beauty and not fussing over it. She has really taught me that beauty comes from within. Beautiful people don’t just happen – they fought their odds and cultivated the best parts of themselves, inside and out.

Kazu Namise

What are your top 5, can’t-live-without products?
1. Phylia de M. 3 Step Hair Kit – makes my scalp feel CLEAN and my hair strong, full and shiny! Plus it stops my excess shedding.
2. DNA Phyto-Lipid Hydrating Scrub – organic & gentle but really effective for a weekly deep cleanse to clear dead skin buildup.
3. Lanvin éclat d’arpege – This is my all-time favorite, my signature scent.
4. Laura Mercier Primer – I’ve used and loved this for ten years- it sets my makeup perfectly.
5. Fulphyl de M. (Miyamonte Fulvic Acid) – My family’s exclusive organic and pure Humic-Free Fulvic Acid. This is a supplement drink for everyday; it dually transports vitamins/nutrients to the right places in your body while chelating toxins out (coming soon from Phylia). I feel more energy, more restful sleep, and brighter skin, eyes, and hair.

What is your all-time favorite product?
Phylia CLEAN – I use it to wash my scalp, hair, face & body – It rejuvenates cells with healthy keratin leaving my skin, hair, and nails healthy and young.

What product do you buy in bulk?
Cold Pressed Organic Juices – I have one or two a day and they keep me fully energized & nourished! I am addicted to Pressed Juicery (especially their Greens3 and Almond Milk)

Favorite hair product?
Phylia Connect– Amazing organic treatment spray that makes my hair grow faster and fuller.

You moisturize your face with…
Miyamonte Renaturation Moisturizer or Caudalie VinoPerfect Day Perfecting Fluid SPF 15

Favorite body product?
Tata Harper Revitalizing Body Oil with our Phylia Cream (soon!). Smells heavenly and is super soft and moisturizing without being greasy.

Favorite beauty secret you’ve picked up along the way?
Raw Potato slices-15 minutes on your eyes and it takes away puffiness and dark circles, and feels very relaxing.

Beauty icon you admire?
Gwyneth Paltrow.She’s beautiful and I admire her disciplined approach to her health & beauty routine from the inside out and outside in, which really shows.

Picture 018-edit3

Bathing Beauty: Bryn Kenny of Dior

By | bathing beauties | 3 Comments

For a beauty enthusiast, a career in the beauty industry is a dream come true. Free beauty products, access to A-list makeup artists and the first to play with new beauty discoveries, is all part of the job. As the current  public relations director for Dior Beauty (swoon!), Bryn Kenny is living the dream. Prior to the highly coveted Dior gig, Bryn was a beauty writer for W Magazine (another swoon-worthy job). Besides being an infinite trove of beauty wisdom (she offers up some sage beauty tips in her interview below), Bryn is also a stylish girl-about-town (you’ll frequently find her photos on such sites as New York Social Diary and Guest of a Guest). With her beach-chic good looks and her comprehensive beauty knowledge, Bryn embodies the best of both worlds: beauty and brains.

Here, Bryn divulges on the secret to “eyes that pop,” an alternate use for perfume, and the trick to applying moisturizer post makeup:

What are your top 5, can’t-live-without products?
1. Bright lipstick. There’s something very bold—and yet classic—about a colorful lip. Makes me feel French.
2. Dior Addict Lip Glow – Pretty much the opposite of bright lipstick; It’s a natural balm with a bit of color that adjusts to your skin’s chemistry. It creates this perfect flushed pink—like you’ve just been kissed.
3. Hand Wash by Molton Brown – Does that count as a beauty product? It’s like fragrance for your hands, so I’m going to say yes.
4. Dior Capture Totale Resurfacing Peel – Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate! I use this product probably more often than I should.
5. Essie nail polish in Fifth Avenue – It’s the perfect happy red and perks up my somewhat dour black and grey wardrobe.

What is your all-time favorite product?
That’s impossible to answer (ha!) but if I must, Diorissimo Eau de Parfum. I love the fact that it’s been around forever and is absolutely timeless. It’s this very simple, fresh blend of Lily of the Valley. I even spray it on my sheets.

What product do you buy in bulk?
This is an easy one: . They say it’s addictive and I’m okay with that. Every time I’m in Duane Reade I buy one because I’m always losing it. I find little pots of Carmex in my couch cushions like loose change.

Favorite hair product?
Sigh, hairspray. I’ll pretty much use any kind, drugstore, salon, whatever, but I love . I have baby fine hair and hairspray adds a bit of body and texture. Also, Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo, the powder kind. It’s a godsend when I’m going from day to night, which is often.

You moisturize your face with…
I’m more of a beauty skeptic than a beauty junkie, but I’ve always been fascinated by skincare. Either way, it takes a lot to convince me to use a product at all, let alone religiously, and I’m addicted to Dior Capture Totale One Essential. It’s a serum that boosts the efficacy of basically any skin product you use. Alicia Keys’ makeup artist Ashunta Sheriff taught me an amazing trick with One Essential: after you’re finished with your makeup, rub a little on your palms and pat your face—it creates this really natural, healthy glow. I also use Dior L’Or de Vie La Crème and L’Extrait day and night. I have dry skin and it works miracles.

Favorite body product?
Pretty much anything Fresh makes. My new favorite is the Seaberry Body Cream—it just smells really good and is super moisturizing without being greasy. Plus, Fresh products are so pretty to look at. They have such a nice aesthetic.

Favorite beauty secret you’ve picked up along the way?
Lining the upper inner lid with black liner… I think a Shu Uemura artist taught me this back when I was a beauty writer at W Magazine. It makes your eyes pop but no one is quite sure why.

Beauty icon you admire?
Ooh, there are a few. I grew up emulating strong-willed women like Madonna, Stevie Nicks, Debbie Harry and Kate Moss. Love a rebellious blonde. I guess I’ve always been drawn to beauty that’s a bit dark, rough-around-the-edges and complicated.Smudged liner, a crooked nose, a little rock ‘n’ roll.

_DSC3572

Bathing Beauty: Babi Ahluwalia of Sachin + Babi

By | bathing beauties | One Comment

Babi Ahluwalia is one-half of the design duo that makes up Sachin + Babi. The other half just so happens to be her designer hubby, Sachin Ahluwalia (hence the name of the ready-to-wear contemporary line). With decorative dresses, texturized blouses and beautifully tailored jackets, Sachin + Babi is all about the chicness, all of the time. Celebrities like Emma Stone, Jennifer Lopez, Kim and Kourtney Kardashian, Drew Barrymore and Kat Sadler are just a few of Hollywood’s fashionistas sporting the designs.

Babi is both beautiful and practical when it comes to her style. Her fashion sense is sophisticated yet comfortable, while her beauty routine is simple and unpretentious. Babi’s chestnut billowing mane, perfect skin tone and soulful eyes round out her unique beauty.

Here, the tools and products that Babi covets:

What are your top 5, can’t-live-without products?
1 – Tata Harper Rebuilding Moisturizer – I just love it.  Tara Harper uses all natural ingredients creating a pure and simple product.  The shelf life is short because she does not use preservatives but it is well worth it.
2 – Kiehl’s Lip Balm – A tube of Kiehl’s in your handbag is priceless, especially in winter. The product is simple but the quality and ingredients are so good.
3 – Forest Essentials Moisture Replenishing Bath & Shower Oil Madurai Jasmine & Mogra – You can only purchase this product in India; I love it for its purity and beautiful scent.
4 – Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler – It’s simply the best.
5 – Chanel Lipglossimer  in Wild Rose – It’s such a great pick me up and a very nice indulgence.

What is your all-time favorite product?
Tata Harper Rejuvenating Serum . Her commitment to all-natural products is inspiring and she creates a great, clean and pure product.

What product do you buy in bulk?
Forest Essential’s Age Defying Facial Serum and Bath and Shower Oils. I have to buy them in bulk as they are only available in India.

Favorite hair product?
MoroccanOil Hydrating Styling Cream – With all of the blow outs and frequent color, it really rescues my hair!

You moisturize your face with…
Tata Harper Replenishing Nutrient Complex, Serum, and finally her Moisturizer.

Favorite body product?
Right now am loving The Body Shop’s glycerine soap (in bar or liquid form) in their great crisp citrus scent.

Favorite beauty secret you’ve picked up along the way?
Always slather on a face pack the night before an important day. I like any good replenishing moisture mask from Shahnaz Husain or Kiehl’s Algae Mask depending on what’s in the bathroom cabinet!

Beauty icon you admire?
Maharani Gayatria Devi of Jaipur. She had such regal elegance and a magnetic personality.

*images and makeup by Beauty Banter.

Head Shot

Bathing Beauty: Sarah Kugelman, Founder of skyn Iceland

By | bathing beauties | One Comment

Sarah Kugelman, founder of skyn Iceland, has been in the business of beauty for over two decades. She started one of the original beauty sites, gloss.com and sold it to Estee Lauder – quite the accomplishment! Additionally, Sarah has worked tirelessly for 20 years to create and perfect her promising skin care line. The result is a product collection with pure ingredients from Iceland that prides itself on removing the stress from your skin (amen to that!).

Here, Sarah (such a nice name!) dishes on skyn Iceland’s newest product launch and the secret to looking fabulous (it has something to do with a bed and a man…):

What are your top 5, can’t-live-without products?
1 – Josie Maran Argan Natural Volume Lip Gloss: I’m allergic to nearly all lip products (they make my lips dry/flakey) but these natural lip glosses don’t, so I can be healthy and glamorous!

2 – Pureology Essential Repair, Restorative Hair Mask: Last year, I was getting a blow-out and the stylist completely fried my hair. The only thing that restored it was this Pureology deep conditioner. It saved my hair!

3 – YSL black mascara: It’s just the best and I love the packaging.

4 – skyn ICELAND Pure Cloud Cream: I have dry skin and nothing hydrates and calms it like this cream. I developed it so it would be deeply moisturizing without being heavy or greasy. There’s nothing else like it and I’ve had big companies try to knock it off and no one can figure out our secret!!

5 – A new anti-aging serum I’m developing for launch in 2012: It’s the most amazing thing I’ve ever used. It has transformed my skin into flawless, glowing, even-toned skin. Stay tuned!!!

What is your all-time favorite product?
Georgette Klinger’s drying lotion. I’ve been using it since I was 19yrs old. It’s the double zap for a bad blemish. It’s what goes on top of my normal anti-blemish routine at night. It’s bright pink so you can’t wear it during the day but it really feels like it goes to work instantly and I love the way it smells (think camphor and witch hazel). I’m so upset because they don’t make it anymore. I’ve had one jar for about 2 yrs and I keep adding water to the dry bits at the bottom and shaking it up. I’ll have to recreate it somehow, someday! [Editor’s Note: Try Mario Badescu’s Drying Lotion as an alternative.]

What product do you buy in bulk?
Aveeno Body Lotion. I have the driest skin ever and have to moisturize at least 2 times a day. Also L’Occitane bath and shower gels (in Pine/Rosemary/Vetiver and Verbena). I discovered these on vacation in St Maarten years ago and have been hooked ever since.

Favorite hair product?
Pureology and John Masters conditioner. It detangles and conditions hair without leaving a residue or being too heavy. AND it’s natural! Also, love Frederic Fekkai shampoos. OK, I can’t pick just one!

You moisturize your face with…
With skyn ICELAND’s Pure Cloud Cream in the winter and Antidote Daily Lotion in the summer. skyn ICELAND’s Oxygen Infusion Night Cream at night!

Favorite body product?
That’s a hard one, I’m always on the search for a perfect body lotion and I can’t say I’ve really found one although I love Elemental Herbology body creams. They have a really nice product – natural, performance driven and nice scents. I also really like Peter Thomas Roth’s Blemish Buffing Beads Body. It’s a body wash that keeps my skin so smooth and the beads are moisturizing so it doesn’t dry.

Favorite beauty secret you’ve picked up along the way?
When I was a teenager, my mother took me to a dinner party and a French woman told me that the best beauty secret is to have a good man in your bed! Since then, I’ve also learned that a lot of sleep, drinking a lot of water, staying out of the sun, exercising and a great, natural moisturizer is the BEST beauty regimen. My grandmother who lived to 105, never left the house without ‘a little lipstick on’ — that goes without saying!

Beauty icon you admire?
I don’t know if she’s really a beauty icon, but I am inspired by Sienna Miller. She is stunningly beautiful (naturally!), has an incredible smile, beautiful skin and a great sense of personal style. She is modern, sexy, funny, and stylish. There is something timeless about her.

To explore Sarah’s skyn Iceland product range, visit  www.skyniceland.com.

face shot

Bathing Beauty: Britt Aboutaleb

By | bathing beauties | 2 Comments

You know that adage, “it’s not the job that makes the person, it’s the person that makes the job?” Well,  this is most certainly true in the case of Britt Aboutaleb. As the style news editor for Elle.com (she writes and edits the site’s popular fashion blog), Britt has been an integral part in creating the site’s personality and making it a daily must-read.

Read any article that has Britt’s name attached, and you will see her attention to detail. From the words she chooses to the stories she pens, Britt is changing the game of digital coverage one post at a time. In a space that was once inundated with derivative content, Britt brings both her original voice and savvy style experience to Elle’s fashion coverage.

Not exactly makeup obsessed, Britt only caught the beauty bug recently – largely due to her obsession with perfect skin. Don’t be fooled, though, for a beauty novice, she’s got rather good taste (in our humble opinion).

Here, Britt discusses the products that give her that coveted “glow” and her current adoration with anything Tata Harper.

What are your top 5, can’t-live-without products?
1. Tata Harper Rejuvenating Serum. This is the only product I actually can’t live without. I’ve struggled with my skin from the time I hit puberty up until about six months ago when I started using the serum. Now I have that elusive “glow.”
2. Chanel Inimitable Mascara. It earns, “Are those your real lashes?” from strangers almost everyday.
3. Nars The Multiple – Orgasm. Again, obsessed with the glow.
4. Lancome Artliner Precision Point Eyeliner. I love a cat eye and have experimented with dozens of eyeliners; this one is the best (and easiest to apply!).
5. Rodin Olio Lusso. I can definitely live without this, but when I put it on at night my face glows in the morning.

What is your all time favorite product?
Right now it’s anything Tata Harper. I’m obsessed with getting perfect glowing skin (it’s the first time in my life that I’ve come close) and Tata’s products are like magic. As far as makeup, mascara is the only thing I always wear.

What product do you buy in bulk?
I live in a studio in New York, so nothing! Though I’ve probably bought more than one mascara at a time.

What is your favorite hair product?
Charlotte Ronson’s A Perfect Mess Beach Spray makes my hair perfectly messy and smelling like the beach.

You moisturize your face with…
Tata Harper Rejuvenating Serum and a few drops of whatever face oil is out on my sink.

Favorite body product?
In the spring summer I use Bobbi Brown’s Beach Body Oil. It smells ridiculous, like someone bottled the beach. In the winter I use Kiehl’s Crème de Corps Whipped Body Butter, which also smells great, but is thick enough to battle an East Coast winter.

Favorite beauty secret?
Drink a lot of water. I know that’s not a secret, but I can see the difference in my face when I do (or don’t) stay hydrated. Same goes for running.

Beauty icon you admire?
Brigitte Bardot! Or anyone French, really.

Rachel-Damsels2

Bathing Beauty: Rachel Chandler

By | bathing beauties | 8 Comments

As a fashionable New York “it” girl, Rachel Chandler knows a thing or two about working a lens. But this blondie prefers to be on the opposite side of the camera – shooting the pictures (her work can be seen in Purple Magazine and on Vogue.com) – as opposed to in front of it. Besides her budding photography career, Rachel is also a highly in-demand DJ and a fixture in both the fashion and art scenes.

While I’m a big fan of Rachel’s eclectic style, I’m also quite impressed by her effortless beauty. There’s something very old school about her look: the imperfect bob, pristine skin and focus on eyes are all reminiscent of the 1960’s and 70’s icons. A bit Debbie Harry, a bit Penelope Tree (sans the long hair), Rachel’s look can be described as a mix between rock and hippy. Take, for example, her adoration of blue mascara, yet the rest of her makeup routine is undeniably low maintenance.

image source

Read on the discover the secrets behind Rachel’s flawless skin, beauty icon, and the one product she travels across the globe to buy.

What are your top 5, can’t-live-without products?
1 – Cle de Peau Concealer – I often mix this with my moisturizer as an allover coverup.
2 – Laura Mercier Tinted Moisterizer – I use this for day because it has SPF and really evens my skintone.
3 – Anastasia Perfect Brow Pencil – I don’t wear much makeup but I like to strengthen my brow.
4 – Azur Blue DiorShow Mascara – It brings out my eye color and I wear it day and night. I don’t wear any other eye makeup.
5 – Argan Oil which I buy in Marrakech – I use it for everything: in my hair and on my skin. It’s very moisturizing. It has worked for Moroccan women who live in the desert for centuries!

What is your all-time favorite product?
This changes regularly but at the moment I am obsessed with Kheil’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate which I use not only at night, but all the time. When it starts to get cold in NY, the air gets very dry and this is the only thing that seems to give me instant relief.

What product do you buy in bulk?
Dove Bar Soap.

Favorite hair product?
Marrakech Oil which is a combination of Argan and Hemp oils. I highlight my hair and this keeps it healthy.

You moisturize your face with…
Kheil’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate and Dr. Hauschka Moisturizing Day Cream.

Favorite body product?
Bamford’s Organic Rosemary Body Oil. It works better than any moisturizer I’ve tried.

Favorite beauty secret you’ve picked up along the way?
Less is more! It is tempting to go nuts with products, but I find that the simpler my regime, the better.

Beauty icon you admire?
Veronica Lake for that hair!!

image003

Bathing Beauty: Charlotte Ronson

By | bathing beauties | 4 Comments

Charlotte Ronson is one of the hardest working women I know. She has dedicated the past 10 years to designing her clothing line of NYC-chic and flirty threads, aptly called Charlotte Ronson.  Additionally, she has collaborated with Urban Outfitters, Shoshanna Gruss of apparel line Shoshanna for a swimsuit collection, JCPenney for a longterm partnership of contemporary sportswear, I [Heart] Ronson for JCPenney, and, most recently, an amazing makeup line exclusively for Sephora (click here for a recap of Charlotte Ronson Beauty). Oh yeah, and did I forget to mention, that she has 3 stand alone stores in Asia with a deal for 100 plus more?

Charlotte’s hard work paid off with this year’s induction into the CFDA (Council of Fashion Designers of America) and Saturday’s NYFW Spring 2012 fashion show at Lincoln Center. With bright colors, denim patchwork and sheer fabrics, the Spring collection is proof of Charlotte’s incredible knack for cool-girl, wearable clothing (and definitely one of my favorite collections to date).

Touted as a fashion “it” girl and New York trendsetter, Charlotte is known for her effortless style, both in her fashion and beauty choices. And that hair! Charlotte rocks the perfect beach waves year-round (and now she’s bottled her secret and is selling it – amen!).

Here, Charlotte spills  – exclusively to Beauty Banter – her beauty staples and product must-haves:

What are your top 5, can’t-live-without products?
1. Charlotte Ronson for Sephora A Perfect Mess Hair Tonic—It easily creates perfectly beachy waves, a look I love to keep all year long.
2. Charlotte Ronson for Sephora A Summer’s Kiss Lip Gloss— I love that it’s light-weight and sheer. All of the shades are wearable and not sticky.
3. Charlotte Ronson for Sephora All Eye Need Eyeshadow Quad in Nicole— The palette seems to compliment all skin tones, and highlights your eyes without looking too “done.”
4. Cle de Peau Beaute Correcteur Visage Concealer in Honey – The shade matches my skin tone perfectly and the formula doesn’t cake.
5. Charlotte Ronson for Sephora 3 X A Charm Luminizer, Blush, Bronzer in Shoshanna— brings out your natural glow.

What is your all-time favorite product?
Armani Mascara Eyes to Kill

What product do you buy in bulk?
MAC “Bulk” Wipes and RODIN Olio Lusso Face Oil

Favorite hair product?
Charlotte Ronson for Sephora A Perfect Mess— It reminds me of my mother’s [Ann Dexter-Jones] perfectly undone hair,
and recreates my summery-beach waves.

You moisturize your face with…
LANCER™ Skincare ‘Nourish’ AM/PM Nourishment and Baume Contour des Yeux Anti-Rides from Clé de Peau Beaute.

Favorite body product?
Charlotte Ronson for Sephora A Summer’s Kiss Face and Body Glow—It creates a sun kissed look all year round.

Favorite beauty secret you’ve picked up along the way?
My mother always told me that less is more, and I think that a natural, healthy glow is always more appealing than an overly-done look.

Beauty icon you admire?
Jane Birkin. I love her relaxed look: her tousled hair, and glowing, fresh face.

Editor’s Note: Charlotte Ronson makeup is available September 15, 2011 exclusively at Sephora stores and on their website, www.sephora.com.

_MG_5532

Bathing Beauty: Stephanie LaCava

By | bathing beauties | 11 Comments

Stephanie LaCava is my favorite kind of woman: both beauty and brains. While her ginger hair (minus the blonde ambition moment) and signature style may get her noticed on the popular blogs and magazines, my favorite thing about Stephanie is her way with words. She’s insanely talented when she puts pen to paper, writing fashion, beauty, and culture pieces for Vogue, T: The New York Times Style Magazine, New York Magazine, and online at the Paris Review.

But our common bond is a shared adoration for all things beauty. Read on to find out  Stephanie’s beauty must-haves!

What are your top 5, can’t-live-without products?
1 – Cle de Peau Beaute Concealer– I use this instead of foundation, set with the below.
2 – Lancome Dual Finish Compact – The perfect all purpose compact.
3 – Anastasia Clear Brow Gel – I love manicured brows.
4 – Nars Carthage Pure Matte Lipstick – An amazing coral pink to wear with all white or all black.
5 – Joelle Ciocco Oxyclear Eclat Nuit Jour – This smells-and feels- amazing (editor’s note: this product can be found at Isabelle Bellis).

What is your all-time favorite product?
Lancome Defincils Mascara. As a natural redhead, my eyelashes are really pale, but lonnnngggg. They only show up with mascara!

What product do you buy in bulk?
Duchess Marden Body Serum — and liters of Evian (serious, you need to hydrate!).

Favorite hair product?
Rahua Finishing Treatment – an amazing natural, vegan potion.

You moisturize your face with?
. It’s available everywhere and awesome.

Favorite body product?
. I will use this on my face if need be — it’s absolutely the most amazing all over cream.

Favorite beauty secret you’ve picked up along the way?
Pilates with Mimosa Gordon and facials with Isabelle Bellis. Oh, and to smile. My father mocks me when I pose for family photos. He’s right- you look like an idiot when you try too hard. Just be happy.

Beauty icon you admire?
Vanessa Paradis. I love her hair, teeth- she’s cool, natural and has her own thing going on- no ironed hair or perfectly fake teeth.