All Posts By:  beautybanter

Spotlight: Make Up For Ever Halloween

By | makeup | 2 Comments

I realize that this post is a few days late, but I’m still in the Halloween spirit and I’m giving myself a little shameless promotion as I did the makeup!

Here are the deets:

Who: Albie Hueston – Events and Marketing Manager for Kanon Vodka (who threw 2 epic Halloween parties: In NYC, saints and sinners at the Standard and in LA, Tim Burton characters at the LACMA. Click here for sexy party pics).

What: Halloween Outfit – Vishnu (google it!)

How To: Make Up For Ever is THE BEST for highly pigmented, face painting (also known as theatrical makeup design).

For the pale blue face, I used the the 12 Flash Color Case (which I use every Halloween when making up my fab friends). This palette comes with 12 gorgeously saturated colors that go on strong and last all night long. I mixed the white and blue (on my arm!) until it gave me that pale blue hue. I applied with a fat concealer brush to the face, neck, ears (even inside!) and belly. I used the metallic gold from the case for an electric pop under the eyes, and I continued the color with a gentle pat on the eyelids. I completed the gilded lid with Make Up For Ever’s Star Powder in 957 – saffron with green highlights (translation: GOLD). The star powder is a super pigmented loose shadow with mega sparkle. I swept this from the lash line to the brow bone. I completed the eye with Make Up For Ever’s Aqua Liner in Black to line the lower lash line. It’s smooth, precise, easy to apply and doesn’t smudge through out the night. One of my favorite liners!

I used the Aqua Liner to create a very defined arch. I lightly penciled in the brows with the black liner and extended it out a bit on the ends to give it a stronger, more dramatic feel that framed the eyes.

For the lips, I went back to the 12 Flash Color Case and mixed the salmon pink, white and a dot of bright pink colors to create the ultimate soft, matte pink hue. I made the lips oversized because botox is so “in” (kidding!) – it actually gives the mouth a more theatrical “clown-like” effect. Albie and I were both obsessed with the contrast of the “bedroom pink” lips and the pale blue face.

And, that’s it! I only used 3 products to accomplish the Vishnu face. Makeup took about 1 hour total.

Doesn’t Albie look super sexxxy?! (hair and seductive stare sold separately)

What was your Halloween face?

Head Shot

Bathing Beauty: Sarah Kugelman, Founder of skyn Iceland

By | bathing beauties | One Comment

Sarah Kugelman, founder of skyn Iceland, has been in the business of beauty for over two decades. She started one of the original beauty sites, and sold it to Estee Lauder – quite the accomplishment! Additionally, Sarah has worked tirelessly for 20 years to create and perfect her promising skin care line. The result is a product collection with pure ingredients from Iceland that prides itself on removing the stress from your skin (amen to that!).

Here, Sarah (such a nice name!) dishes on skyn Iceland’s newest product launch and the secret to looking fabulous (it has something to do with a bed and a man…):

What are your top 5, can’t-live-without products?
1 – Josie Maran Argan Natural Volume Lip Gloss: I’m allergic to nearly all lip products (they make my lips dry/flakey) but these natural lip glosses don’t, so I can be healthy and glamorous!

2 – Pureology Essential Repair, Restorative Hair Mask: Last year, I was getting a blow-out and the stylist completely fried my hair. The only thing that restored it was this Pureology deep conditioner. It saved my hair!

3 – YSL black mascara: It’s just the best and I love the packaging.

4 – skyn ICELAND Pure Cloud Cream: I have dry skin and nothing hydrates and calms it like this cream. I developed it so it would be deeply moisturizing without being heavy or greasy. There’s nothing else like it and I’ve had big companies try to knock it off and no one can figure out our secret!!

5 – A new anti-aging serum I’m developing for launch in 2012: It’s the most amazing thing I’ve ever used. It has transformed my skin into flawless, glowing, even-toned skin. Stay tuned!!!

What is your all-time favorite product?
Georgette Klinger’s drying lotion. I’ve been using it since I was 19yrs old. It’s the double zap for a bad blemish. It’s what goes on top of my normal anti-blemish routine at night. It’s bright pink so you can’t wear it during the day but it really feels like it goes to work instantly and I love the way it smells (think camphor and witch hazel). I’m so upset because they don’t make it anymore. I’ve had one jar for about 2 yrs and I keep adding water to the dry bits at the bottom and shaking it up. I’ll have to recreate it somehow, someday! [Editor’s Note: Try Mario Badescu’s Drying Lotion as an alternative.]

What product do you buy in bulk?
Aveeno Body Lotion. I have the driest skin ever and have to moisturize at least 2 times a day. Also L’Occitane bath and shower gels (in Pine/Rosemary/Vetiver and Verbena). I discovered these on vacation in St Maarten years ago and have been hooked ever since.

Favorite hair product?
Pureology and John Masters conditioner. It detangles and conditions hair without leaving a residue or being too heavy. AND it’s natural! Also, love Frederic Fekkai shampoos. OK, I can’t pick just one!

You moisturize your face with…
With skyn ICELAND’s Pure Cloud Cream in the winter and Antidote Daily Lotion in the summer. skyn ICELAND’s Oxygen Infusion Night Cream at night!

Favorite body product?
That’s a hard one, I’m always on the search for a perfect body lotion and I can’t say I’ve really found one although I love Elemental Herbology body creams. They have a really nice product – natural, performance driven and nice scents. I also really like Peter Thomas Roth’s Blemish Buffing Beads Body. It’s a body wash that keeps my skin so smooth and the beads are moisturizing so it doesn’t dry.

Favorite beauty secret you’ve picked up along the way?
When I was a teenager, my mother took me to a dinner party and a French woman told me that the best beauty secret is to have a good man in your bed! Since then, I’ve also learned that a lot of sleep, drinking a lot of water, staying out of the sun, exercising and a great, natural moisturizer is the BEST beauty regimen. My grandmother who lived to 105, never left the house without ‘a little lipstick on’ — that goes without saying!

Beauty icon you admire?
I don’t know if she’s really a beauty icon, but I am inspired by Sienna Miller. She is stunningly beautiful (naturally!), has an incredible smile, beautiful skin and a great sense of personal style. She is modern, sexy, funny, and stylish. There is something timeless about her.

To explore Sarah’s skyn Iceland product range, visit

silvered topaz

Makeup: Tom Ford Color Quad

By | makeup | 4 Comments

There’s nothing like some Tom Ford to make your life a little less bleak. While his clothes were the envy of fashionistas near and far, his makeup is the must-have for the beauty obsessed (like moi!). So, I’m very excited about this product – the Eye Quad (and, apparently I am the first blogger to receive the Quad in Silver Topaz — clap, clap!).

A Quad is the perfect product for deciphering what colors to use with what. Once you choose your color group (purples, golds, greys, etc), the Quad does the rest of the work for you. For example, I’m big into golds — LOVE them. Tom Ford’s Silver Topaz Eye Quad contains four shadows in this color range. It takes the guessing out of the equation. The Silver Topaz Quad happens to be available only for pre-order (along with about a half-dozen other quads), but I guarantee this thing will sell out like hot cakes (I don’t even know what a hot cake is but I dig the expression!). They are spot-on for Holiday makeup looks.

The Silver Topaz Quad  is a collection of brown, khaki and golden hues (with a mauve undertone). Each quad includes a sheer sparkle, satin, shimmer and matte shadow to give the eye texture. This particular quad includes a light, sparkly neutral/ beige shadow (sheer sparkle), a moss green/ khaki shadow (satin), a medium mauve brown (shimmer), and a dark brown (matte) for lining or use in the crease.

Here’s how it looks on my eye (sans the khaki):

 (a terrible picture, I know, but check out the satiny finish on my eyelid – so purrrty!)

Other quads include Cobalt Rush, a collection of blues, Sahara Haze, greens, and Cocoa Mirage, browns.

HOW TO USE A QUAD: Sweep the lightest color all over your eyelid. Follow with a medium hue as a base and apply near the lash line for a pop of color. Finish with the darkest shadow to use in the crease. You can also line your eye with the darkest shadow if you’re steering clear of the smoky eye look. The fourth shadow can be mixed in – used as an alternate base or crease color.

Time for me to go smoke my eyes with some sexy golden brown pigments!

PRICE TAG: $75.00

UPDATE: After wearing the shadow in the day light, it seems that the colors are more of a slate palette – which I LOVE! There is actually no gold hues, but browns and slate with a mauve (pink) undertone. Looks fab with my olive skin and dark hair, yet it doesn’t completely take over (as gold can sometimes do). I’m thinking the Quad is perfect for a day look, golds can be reserved for night-chic.

*Holiday gift ideas

Girl Crush: Jessica Alba

By | celebrity looks | 3 Comments

This is a double girl crush: Love Jessica Alba and love Jen Atkin… put them together and it’s a full blown love affair – which is exactly how I felt when I first saw this picture of Jessica from An Evening With Ralph Lauren hosted by the one and only, Ms. Oprah Winfrey.

It’s no secret that Jessica Alba is super hot. It’s also no secret that Jen Atkin is one of my favorite hair stylist on earth. So, obvs I love love love this hair! The perfect updo with class sans the stuffiness. Tres glam.

Here’s how to get the look:

Inspiration: A Chinese-inspired, classy updo with an Asian twist

The Look: Prep the hair by applying a wave spray, such as Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray, throughout the

hair to give it volume and texture. Blow dry the hair all the way through using a round brush. When the hair is fully
dry, use a 1 inch curling iron create loose thick curls throughout the hair to infuse body. Separate the bang section and
create a strong part to one side, putting the rest of the hair in a low ponytail and secure with a bungee band. On the
ends of the hair, apply KeSARI Indian Oil Hair Serum to make the hair glossy and smooth. To create the up do, take
large sections of the hair and twist them up. Secure each twist using French hair pins. To finish off the look, apply a
small amount the KeSARI Indian Oil Hair Serum into the bangs and on the sides of the hair to maximize shine.

Jen’s Thoughts: “The KeSARI oil is perfect for red carpet events because it does an excellent job of keeping the hair healthy
and shiny, especially when cameras hit it!”

Real Life Look: Wear an updo to a black tie event, dinner party or wedding.

GIVEAWAY: Pur~lisse Skin Care

By | Uncategorized | 13 Comments

I’m in the giving kind-of mood today. Keeping in the birthday spirit (mine was yesterday – 30, again!), I decided that I wanted to share a very special giveaway with all of my fabulous readers!

We’ve joined forces with Jennifer Yen of Pur~lisse skin care to offer 3 AMAZING PUR~LISSE PACKAGES! Here’s what you can win:

3 winners will receive a package containing Pur~lisse Youth Preserve, Moisturizer and Lip Comfort! This combo pack is the pur~fect winter skin care kit for staying youthful, glowing, hydrated and healthy! (Product deets below giveaway rules).

Giveaway is open exclusively to members of Beauty Banter (to become a member, leave your email under the “become a member” tab on the right side of the site. Click “join” and follow the instructions sent to your email).

You must be a FAN of our facebook page (click here to “like” us). Once you’re a fan, leave a comment on the Beauty Banter facebook page telling us what are your winter skin woes! Mine is dull-looking skin (nothing less attractive — except for shiny skin!). Finish off with your email address (so that we can contact you if you win!).

That’s it!

Contest closes on Tuesday, November 1, 2011 at noon PST. Winner will be chosen at random and notified via email. Only one entry per person.

Remember, there will be 3 WINNERS so get going!

Good Luck!

About the products:

Pur~Youth Preserve (valued at $76.00): “Our powerful peptide complex, Lotus Lupine 5, combines with antioxidant-rich Vitamin E, Rice Bran Oil, Peony and Wheat Proteins, and Lupine Peptides for an ageless revitalized glow.”

Pur~Moist (valued at $55.00): ” Infused with our unique, exclusive peptide complex, Lotus Lupine 5, Vitamin E and our secret blend of French Marine Plants, skin becomes dewy and supple – pure harmony.”

Pur~Lip Comfort (valued at $16.00): “Our exclusive petroleum~free nourisher brings smiles to dry pouts, as lavish fruits butters and healing vegetable oils richly hydrate. Lackluster lips become softer, moister and more youthful~looking.”

Total Value For Each Package: $147.00

WEEKLY MUST-HAVE: Arcona Pumpkin Lotion 10%

By | body, weekly must-have | 2 Comments

In the spirit of Halloween, I thought a pumpkin post would be rather fitting. So, this week’s must have is Arcona’s Pumpkin Body Lotion 10%.

Arcona is a fantastic natural skin and body care line (their cranberry gommage is next level amazing for the face) that was established in 1989 under the pretense that enzymes, antioxidants and amino acids should work together, in synergy, for optimum results. While the skin care is superb (and a must-try) we’ll save our face-gushing for another post.

This week, we’re obsessing over the Pumpkin Body Lotion, a lightweight regenerative cream made with pumpkin extracts and glycolic acid to improve skin’s tone and elasticity and repair sun damage. I’m using it for the latter purpose; post-summer calls for extra attention to skin damage thanks to sunbathing (with SPF, obviously).

You only need to use a thin layer on the lotion as this stuff seriously works. You’ll feel a slight tingle/ burning once applied – this is how you know that the lotion is working it’s magic. The result is softer, smoother, more even skin. How, you ask? Pumpkin contains natural AHA (alpha hydroxy acid) and fruit enzymes which help to speed up cell turnover, removing the old, dull skin so that new, fresh skin can be seen and felt. TIP – Steer clear of application after shaving or you’ll feel like you just got stung by a dozen jelly fish!

But you have to keep using it to notice the benefits as they are cumulative! Yes, I know, it’s a commitment, but one your body (and your man) will thank you for. Since slathering on daily, I am amazed how seriously soft my skin feels. So amazed, in fact, that I can’t even keep my hands off of it. Imagine the impact if I had a boyfriend?!

PRICE TAG: $35.00 for 4 oz

*available in 10% and 20% strengths (I’m using the 10% one).

Click here to read up on all of the fab ways that pumpkin helps to beautify the skin.

Makeup: Ellis Faas

By | makeup | 5 Comments

Ellis Faas Beauty is fairly new to me. I first used a lip gloss from the line about three months ago. Then, while at the Sephora Meatpacking Store opening party a few months back, I came across an awesome display with all of the Ellis Faas products. Here’s what struck me: every product is in a sleek, silver pen-like tube (save for the foundation called “Skin Veil” that people rave about – although I have yet to try – and compact powder). I remember thinking, this is the coolest, most original line in the entire store – it must be European! And alas, I was correct.

The woman behind the brand, Ellis Faas, is a Dutch celebrity makeup artist who got her big break from the fab fashion photographer, Mario Testino. Ellis started her eponymous product line a few years ago, and based the collection around the colors that exist in the human body. Each product is a fluid (because the human body is made up of mostly water, notes Ellis) and comes housed in a bullet-influenced, silver pen. The applicator brush is attached to each pen so it makes application tres tres easy (and chic). For example, the liquid eye liner has a thin paint brush-like applicator while the eyeshadow and lippies have a slightly thicker bristled applicator or a sponge applicator, depending on the type of formula you have chosen (milky and glazed lips come bristled, creamy lips come sponged).

Besides being the coolest packaged makeup company I have ever encountered, the products work surprisingly well. At one point, I seemed to have overused the gold liquid shadow and, as it dries rather quickly, I simply used my finger to pat down the excess. Between fingers and applicators, I feel like a little girl painting in elementary school!

The site is awesome and worth a glance too. There is an entire section devoted to “How To” videos so you have no excuses for not understanding how to apply the various products. This video is quite interesting with its dynamic use of face color (unwearable yet very artistic) inspired by a Francis Bacon exhibit from the Tate Museum in London. The site also has fabulously dramatic images of women with loads of makeup that somehow seem so beautiful.

Products To Try:

Ellis Glazed Lips L303 – A sheer, glossy red (Ellis is known for her fabulous red hues, this one is a favorite).

Ellis Eyeliner in Black – Liquid, easy to apply, leaves an amazingly precise line. Love.

Ellis Lights in E303 – A goldish/ bronze metallic liquid shadow that dries rather quickly but still manages to maintain a “wet”look.

The classic holder is a must if you want to be hygienic and store your products fashionably.

WEEKLY MUST-HAVE: Pacifica Color Quench Natural Moisture Lip Tint

By | weekly must-have | No Comments

It’s no secret that I love me a tinted lippy. I’ve graced my mouth with ever since Labello went under. I’m also really into the “green” movement, with hair, skin, body and cosmetics, so you can imagine my excitement after trying the new Pacifica Color Quench Natural Moisture Lip Tint.

Although they’re not as pigmented as Nivea, they are definitely more hydrating, leaving a healthy tint to my pucker and, major bonus, they’re all natural! Free of sulfates, parabens and petrochemicals, even the most discerning mouth will welcome this lippy. It’s like the sophisticated, chicer version of your drugstore chappy.

The formula comes in 4 sheer hues: Bare Coconut, a beige, Blood Orange, a red, Hibiscus Vanilla, a light pink, and Guava Berry, a plum.

So far, I’m mildly obsessed with the Blood Orange as it gives my lips that just-been-kissed blush of red (albeit quite sheer). I have been applying non-stop and am loving how moisturized it leaves my pout.

While I’ll undoubtably use Nivea’s Cherry at some point again – it’s hard to part with a first love – I’m quite content with my new, healthier lip tint choice. So, for all of you organic gals, no excuses to let your lips go bare. Dress them up with a sheer tint.

PRICE TAG: $9.00

Dedicated Post: 5 Ways To Enhance Your Look

By | body | 4 Comments

These days, people are using plastic surgery more and more frequently, and really, why wouldn’t they, as there are a number of procedures that can simply but effectively improve your look. In fact, with so many surgeries being perfected, there is now significant variety even within individual types of plastic surgery.

Here are 5 of the most effective surgeries for enhancing your look (pros and cons included):

1 – Breast Augmentation – Whether you want something simple, such as b cup implants for your smaller breasts, or something more drastic, such as a switch from a cups to d cups, breast augmentation can help. In fact, this procedure can even be used for reconstructive or reduction surgeries as well as enhancements. The plus side of any breast augmentation is that you will have the figure that you have always wanted. There are very few cons to this procedure, other than some slight scarring, and potentially having to deal with abrasive social reactions.

2 – Facelifts – A facelift procedure is one that is essentially designed to smooth out your face, erasing things like wrinkles or bags under the eyes. This is considered an invasive procedure (unlike collagen or botox injections, which can achieve some of the same goals as facelifts), but is also longer lasting and is more effective than some of its alternatives.

3 – Liposuction – While many believe that you must be obese to need liposuction, the procedure is actually quite common for affecting quick weight loss in a variety of patient situations. The con of this surgery is that it can give you a false sense of triumph, and lead you to make poor decisions that lead to regaining weight. Typically, those who work hard to lose weight the natural way will be more disciplined about keeping that weight off.

4 – Rhinoplasty – This type of procedure is specifically meant to reshape or resize the nose, and is extremely popular, as many people are unhappy with their natural noses. This is one of the simpler surgeries out there, as recovery time is just a matter of weeks, and the cost should only be a few thousand dollars.

5 – Tummy Tucks – A tummy tuck is essentially a facelift for the abdominal region. In this surgery, excess skin is cut away and the abdominal region is tightened to give you a more fit and in-shape look. Recovery can be a bit slow, and it can be hard to avoid moving the midsection of your body while you recover, but the effects are tough to argue with.

*this is a sponsored post provided by the company and/or brand.

Best of Organics… BATH!

By | body | 31 Comments

Green living is quite the current trend. With organic dining, organic juicing – even organic alcohol – if you haven’t jumped on the organic bandwagon, now would be a good time.

In a series of 3 posts, we are going to outline our favorite organic beauty products. So, if you are as gaga over green as we are, then this series is for you!

NOTE: All products listed are made with organic ingredients and/ or are 100% natural.

Up first, the organic bath:

Bath Oil – Jurlique Tranquil Bath Oil – Bath time is my favorite time of day. I like to chill out with some scented candles and a slew of scented bath products. This specific bath oil is calming (thanks to the lavender), smells wonderful, leaves skin hydrated and soothed (courtesy of avocado oil), and it actually has a slight foam – so it doubles as a bubble bath! $23.00

Bath Salts – Aubrey Organics Natural Spa Relaxing Bath Salts – For the most luxurious of bathing experiences, bath salts are key. This 100% organic choice has a pungent orange scent and dissolves in the tub for ultimate relaxation. The result is two fold: soft skin and a calm disposition. $18.85

Body Exfoliator – Weleda Birch Body Scrub – It’s no secret that Weleda is a favorite line of mine – it’s affordable, contains some of the most amazing natural ingredients, and I always see results! The Body Scrub is amazing – it smells delish (as you can probably tell by now, i’m really into scents!) with  a very faint citrus note. It exfoliates gently so you can use everyday on every part of your body. AND it has a milky consistency so it adds moisture while cleaning and scrubbing dry, dull skin! $17.00

Body Wash – Jason Pure Natural Body Wash, Relaxing Chamomile – This is one of my absolute favorite scents. I’ve been using the wash for years because, quite honestly, I find the chamomile aroma to be the ultimate in comfort and relaxation. The formula is pretty magical too. It foams into a perfectly silky wash that is both gentle and non-irritating. And it doesn’t make your skin feel dry and scaly post bath (or shower). Comes in a variety of scents. $5.19 for a 30 fl oz tub! *DRUGSTORE FIND*

Body Bar – Level Naturals Classic Soap in Jasmine Rose – Let me start out by saying that this entire body care line is fantastic (and I will be posting about many more products from Level in the coming weeks). This soap, however, deserved a spot on the coveted “best of” list. It looks and feels homemade (and looks tres chic in my bathroom), smells like a delicate flower garden and cleanses the skin with a fluffy lather that leaves my body soft, never dried out. Comes in over a dozen more scents! $10.00

Body Lotion – Moksa Organics Body Butter, Cocoa Vanilla – Another awesome organic product line. This lotion is actually whipped and hardened shea butter that melts on my skin leaving a sexy sheen (kind of like a body oil). It’s super moisturizing and has the faintest cocoa scent. $16.00

Body Oil – Kate Logan Lavender Nourish Oil – This stuff is other-worldy, the ultimate finish to the bathing experience. Kate makes each product by hand and you can literally feel her passion and love as you slather your body with the goods. The oil is so pure and the scent so intoxicating (not even a hint of that perfume-manufatured smell), it’s like wrapping your entire body in the finest of silky robes. It is light, soothing and gentle and just, well, perfect! 19.99 pounds

Shaving Cream – Aubrey Creme de la Shave, White Tea and Citrus – Would would’ve thought that an all natural shaving cream would actually work better than the regular ones? This shaving cream is a bit lotion a bit gel. It has a clean and uplifting citrus scent and leaves legs touch-approved. A little goes a long way – only a thin layer is necessary for a quality shave! $4.62 *DRUGSTORE FIND*

Shampoo & Conditioner – Sponge Wild Flower Shampoo and Conditioner – I’m so obsessed with this sleek and sexy packaging, I literally want to frame the bottles! Made with myrtle and chamomile, these products leave my hair shiny and gorgeous! Gentle enough for every day and, obvs, made sans sulfates and parabens so great for color-treated locks. $32.00 & $34.00

Deodorant – LAVANILA The Healthy Deodorant, Vanilla-Coconut – If you are still using antiperspirant, we need to have a serious talk. This all natural deodorant won’t clog your pores with toxic aluminum. Instead, it will defend your sweaty pits with the sweetest smelling blend of vanilla and coconut. It’s smells so awesome, sometimes I even wear it to bed! Comes in 4 other vanilla-inspired scents. $18.00

What’s your favorite all-natural bath product?