All Posts By:  beautybanter

harry_josh_gisele_rose_byrne_cameron_diaz_rachel_weisz

Pro Talk: Gisele Stylist Harry Josh

By | pro talk | One Comment

Celebrity hair stylist and colorist extraordinaire, Harry Josh, talks bangs (ala Rose Byrne from Sunday’s SAG Awards), red carpet trends, the Oscar bun, hair prep tips for a big night out, and how he gives Gisele that perfect shade of gold.

Sarah Howard: What are the main red carpet hair trends this season?
Harry Josh:-Keeping it natural. Many women with medium to longer hair are wearing it down and straight. Simple chic hair lets their dress do the talking. You saw a lot of women doing this at the Golden Globes and SAGs (Rose, for example).
-I think a chignon never goes out of style. It’s simple, classic, and keeps hair out of your face—a perfect way to show off gorgeous earrings or makeup.
-“Old Hollywood Glamour” is very in—finger waves with high shine. Especially with a sparkly gown, this hair is the perfect compliment.

SH: How do they differ from seasons past – or are they the same?
HJ: I think chignon’s are a red carpet trend that will always be in style, but I think now more than every stars are embracing their natural texture and cut instead of going for intricate updos.

SH: What can we expect to see on the red carpet come Oscar Sunday?
HJ: I think you’ll see lots of hair pulled back into sleek buns and less hair down, braids, and waves. With exception of the really adventurous actresses (think Tilda Swinton), I wouldn’t expect to see anything avant-garde.

SH: Let’s talk about hair prep. Do you have any tips for how to best prepare your hair for a big event?
HJ: Hair washed a day before is definitely easier to style in the sense that it holds curls and waves better. Freshly washed hair will take more styling product to control and nobody wants hair filled with tons of product. It ends up looking super stiff. Also, get your color done a week in advanced. That’s enough time to correct  if something goes awry but not too long where you’ll get roots. It will look fresh and natural. Finally, make sure to get a trim and a deep treatment as well – dry, damaged ends will make your hair look ragged no matter how gorgeous the style is. John Frieda’s Full Repair Deep Infusion is a great leave-in treatment that targets damaged hair, especially at the ends. It restores silky, full style and provides heat protection during styling.

SH: Forecasting trends to come, what is the “it” style going to be for spring?
HJ: I love bangs and I think they’re going to make a huge comeback (like Rose’s SAG look). Really blunt, straight across looks amazing. Plus, that longer bob looks great – its incredibly low maintenance and strikes a great balance between being youthful but still looking polished.

SJ: And, of course, my life wouldn’t be complete if I didn’t ask, how do you get Gisele’s hair to be that perfect shade of sun-kissed gold? What is your balayage trick?
HJ: Gisele has gorgeous hair to start with, which is a huge help, but I don’t start painting on the color at her root. By starting a little lower, it looks like she has gorgeous natural highlights from the sun that are growing out gracefully.

*Gisele, Cameron Diaz, Rachel Weisz images from www.harryjosh.com / all hair by Harry Josh

a-Kazu & Kidada

Bathing Beauties: Kidada Jones & Kazu Namise of Phylia de M.

By | bathing beauties | 2 Comments

Growing up in LA, Kidada Jones and her sister, Rashida (Parks and Recreations actress) were the girls that every other girl wanted to be friends with (every town has that girl). They were – and still are – so exquisitely beautiful, talented, interesting, smart and fun to be around. I was thrilled upon hearing of Kidada’s latest endeavor, co-founder of the hair care line, Phylia de M. Besides having created a truly incredible 3-product hair system (thus, no need for fake enthusiasm next time I see her), we’re now both entrepreneurs of beauty. And I love anyone who will sit down and talk beauty with me for hours on end.

I am so happy for Kidada and her partner, the equally beautiful and talented Kazu Namise’s, newfound success with Phylia de M. The heritage of this line  is fascinating, stemming back to an all-natural proprietary blend created by Kazu’s godfather (read more about the line and my product of choice, Connect, here) that restores hair’s health.

While their personal beauty routines are quite carefree, take note of the interesting tips that both women offer in regards to health and natural living. If you believe that beauty comes from within, than Kidada and Kazu are two poster women for the cause.

Kidada Jones

What are your top 5, can’t-live-without products?
1. Phylia de M. CONNECT – not just saying that because I’m involved- I’m involved BECAUSE of it! Keeps my hair growing thick!
2. SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 Gel– OMG – it’s great for anytime and any type of skin.
3. NUDE Advanced Cellular Renewal Serum – I wanted something that was going to get busy on my skin but is nontoxic.
4. Josie Maran Argan Oil -another revolutionary product for cuticles, skin, hair -anywhere, anytime.
5. Epicuren Kukui Nut Coconut After Bath Lotion – One THOUSAND percent! makes me feel like a fresh baked goodie.

What is your all-time favorite product?
Aquaphor -It’s an ointment, moisturizer, skin protectant and it just works!

What product do you buy in bulk?
Coconut Oil

Favorite hair product?
Phylia de M. CONDITION – It detangles my hair, gives it maximum moisture and I can use it in the shower, as a leave-in treatment, or a styling cream.

You moisturize your face with…
SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 Gel combined with Josie Maran Argan Oil

Favorite body product?
Fresh Brown Body Polish. It exfoliates and moisturizes at the same time.

Favorite beauty secret you’ve picked up along the way?
Oils, in general, are underestimated. I apply oils (coconut, argan) and take oils (primrose, plant) They are great for taking off makeup and moisturizing dry & damaged skin and hair.

Beauty icon you admire?
My mother (actress Peggy Lipton) because she is perfectly split between maintaining her beauty and not fussing over it. She has really taught me that beauty comes from within. Beautiful people don’t just happen – they fought their odds and cultivated the best parts of themselves, inside and out.

Kazu Namise

What are your top 5, can’t-live-without products?
1. Phylia de M. 3 Step Hair Kit – makes my scalp feel CLEAN and my hair strong, full and shiny! Plus it stops my excess shedding.
2. DNA Phyto-Lipid Hydrating Scrub – organic & gentle but really effective for a weekly deep cleanse to clear dead skin buildup.
3. Lanvin éclat d’arpege – This is my all-time favorite, my signature scent.
4. Laura Mercier Primer – I’ve used and loved this for ten years- it sets my makeup perfectly.
5. Fulphyl de M. (Miyamonte Fulvic Acid) – My family’s exclusive organic and pure Humic-Free Fulvic Acid. This is a supplement drink for everyday; it dually transports vitamins/nutrients to the right places in your body while chelating toxins out (coming soon from Phylia). I feel more energy, more restful sleep, and brighter skin, eyes, and hair.

What is your all-time favorite product?
Phylia CLEAN – I use it to wash my scalp, hair, face & body – It rejuvenates cells with healthy keratin leaving my skin, hair, and nails healthy and young.

What product do you buy in bulk?
Cold Pressed Organic Juices – I have one or two a day and they keep me fully energized & nourished! I am addicted to Pressed Juicery (especially their Greens3 and Almond Milk)

Favorite hair product?
Phylia Connect– Amazing organic treatment spray that makes my hair grow faster and fuller.

You moisturize your face with…
Miyamonte Renaturation Moisturizer or Caudalie VinoPerfect Day Perfecting Fluid SPF 15

Favorite body product?
Tata Harper Revitalizing Body Oil with our Phylia Cream (soon!). Smells heavenly and is super soft and moisturizing without being greasy.

Favorite beauty secret you’ve picked up along the way?
Raw Potato slices-15 minutes on your eyes and it takes away puffiness and dark circles, and feels very relaxing.

Beauty icon you admire?
Gwyneth Paltrow.She’s beautiful and I admire her disciplined approach to her health & beauty routine from the inside out and outside in, which really shows.

honey_lemon_DIY_face_mask

DIY: Honey & Lemon Face Mask

By | diy | 356 Comments

Actress Kelly Kruger goes on the hunt for the face mask of all face masks: one that will lighten, tighten and brighten – and leaves the beauty counter empty handed. Yet, from her refrigerator, she concocts the perfect facial remedy. Feast your eyes – and your face – on this: a natural, homemade face mask that will soothe, smooth, heal and even out skin tone for under $7 dollars! And the genius of DIY beauty products is that they can be made with contents that you likely have in your kitchen.

Explains Kelly: “When I think of lemon and honey together, the first thing that comes to mind is a soothing tea for a sore throat. I never would have thought that these 2 ingredients would be the answer to all of my beauty prayers. I have really sensitive, acne-prone skin and I have spent thousands of dollars trying to find the right creams and serums to help with my problem. Until a really sweet lady at a Neiman Marcus counter (where I was yet again going to spend more money on stuff that probably wouldn’t work) gave me this amazing advice:

Honey is a natural antibacterial and anti-infammatory. It absorbs impurities from the pores and the skin. Ancient beauties used honey and milk on their skin regularly to keep their complexion looking young, radiant and smooth. You can use honey as a wash, toner or mask. And you can mix it with so many other ingredients depending on your needs (apples, pumpkin, papaya. yogurt). It’s quite versatile.

Lemon brightens and exfoliates. It’s great for acne prone skin, age and sun spots or uneven skin tone. It is also a natural source of vitamin C and rich in alpha hydroxy acids.

Here’s how to make the DIY Honey/ Lemon Mask:
Squeeze 1/2 a lemon (organic is always better) into a bowl, add 2 tbsp of honey (0rganic, raw, natural ). Mix it with a spoon until it’s a liquid consistency. Apply it all over a clean face avoiding eye area. *Also make sure that  your hair is pulled back away from your face as the mask is rather sticky!  Leave on for 15-20 min and rinse off. If you’re feeling really adventurous, try and sleep with it on.”

Let us know if you try it and how it works!

tumblr_lsmeycgDkF1qmjpp1o1_1280

INSPIRATION: My Fair Lips

By | inspiration | 2 Comments

After watching the Golden Globes this past Sunday and noticing the increasing number of light lips that accompanied the makeup looks – from dark eye to cat eye to bare eye – I became slightly obsessed with the idea of a winter filled with lovely nudes, pale pinks and mauves. While I’m still a major fan of a bold lip (love a nice fuchsia) and a bright red pout, it’s the fair lip that has me inspired this week (and from what we saw on the runways for S/S 2012, the pale lip is sizing up to be the trend du jour).

glossy and natural

matte and nude

natural and matte

mauve and matte

muted and matte

glossy and pale pink
(photo by Vincent Lappartient)

*all images from S/S 2012 runway shows, from www.beautybanter.inspiration.com (unless otherwise noted). follow us on tumblr.

photo

Weekly Must-Have: Connect by Phylia de M.

By | weekly must-have | 3 Comments

While genetics play a significant role in our mane DNA, science can pick up where nature left off. That means starting at the root of the problem: the scalp.  “By caring for the scalp, we optimize the underlying nerve circuit, closely connected to our face, to draw more keratin to the area, actually keeping our face younger(!) and relieving our kidneys and liver of excess toxins that are allowed out of our bodies through our growing hair,” says Phylia de M. co-owner, Kazu Namise. Pyhlia de M. is the brainchild of Kidada Jones (daughter of music legend, Quincy) and Kazu. The newly launched, 3-product hair care line is based on the research of Dr. Miyayama, Kazu’s godfather, a Japanese oncologist with an affinity for herbal and natural remedies. Hypothesizing that hair damage is an effect of a lack of keratin, Dr. Miyayama concocted a recipe of aloe, tannic and fulvic acids to remedy the problem. That recipe has become the proprietary blend in all Phylia products. Connect, the leave-in scalp and hair treatment spray, renews keratin function giving you a healthier, happier scalp (and face!).

I’m an avid fan of any hair product that comes with a spray applicator (love) and an even bigger advocate of a product that treats the actual problem instead of sticking a bandaid on the issue – be it split ends, dry follicles or thinning hair. Connect not only treats the problem of a loss of keratin, it works to solve it. And it does all of this with a spray (bonus).

A word (or several..) from the company:
Connect is our 100% organic keratin renewal treatment that transforms your hair to its very best by detoxifying, repairing, and renewing cell life and keratin function in your follicles, scalp and hair. We make CONNECT using our highly concentrated core proprietary blend of pure humic-free fulvic acid, aloe, and tannic acids to restore your body’s inherent ability to grow healthy hair and stop excess shedding and thinning.

While Phylia de M. suggests using all 3 products in conjunction with one another – Cleanse, Condition and Connect – if you have to choose only one, you can’t go wrong with Connect. It’s the product that really sets the brand apart from the plethora of hair care lines on the market.

PRICE TAG: $60.00

after

HOW TO: Big Lips

By | makeup | One Comment

Create the illusion of bigger lips with these 6 simple steps. Psst – anyone can do it, guaranteed!:

Products I Used:
Concealer – Clinique Line Smoothing Concealer No.04 Medium
Lip Liner – Make Up For Ever Aqua Lipliner #1C
Beige Lipstick – MAC High Def
Sparkle Gloss – NARS Lip Gloss Luminous Glow in Albatross
Shimmer Highlighter – Topshop Glow Highlighter in Polished

How-To:
Step 1 – With a sponge, dab concealer on lips and mouth area until fully blended (this will act as a primer and fill in cracks and fine lines around the mouth area).

Step 2 – Line lips with a nude lip pencil, starting from the middle of your lip drawing out.

Step 3 – Fill in lips with the lip pencil, starting from the corners of mouth to just before the middle.

Step 4 – With a lip brush, fill in lips with a beige lip color. Make sure to keep the color lighter in the middle.

Step 5 – Apply clear gloss to the lips. Gloss with sparkle is a bonus.

Step 6 – Dab a shimmering highlighter cream on the cupid’s bow (the V above your top lip), and in the center of your bottom lip. This will focus light to the center of lips giving them the illusion of appearing bigger.

*all images by Beauty Banter

red lips

Trends: Golden Globes 2012

By | trends | 7 Comments

Hair took three looks: the classic updo, throwback to era’s past, and effortless fun hair.

A classic updo would be something like a low chignon like Claire Danes, or a mid-level bun like Angelina Jolie (P.S. how skinny did Angie look? She needs to eat a double, double. STAT.). Other buns-of-note included Kate Beckinsale, Mila Kunis and Jessica Alba.

Throwback would be Jessica Chastain’s volumized 1960’s bouffant  Zooey Dechenal’s 60’s volumized, slight lift on the crown, and Nicole Richie’s volunized half-up.

Girlie and effortless hair would be Reese Witherspoon and her slightly messy relaxed curls (she looked better than I’ve seen in a long time), Madonna and her slight side-parted curls and Jessica Biel and that effortless beach-chic, simple yet sexy loose curl.

Makeup was all about the light lip. From barely-there nudes like Charlize Theron, Natalie Portman, Jessica Chastain and Salma Hayek…

To mauves like Nicole Kidman, Michelle Williams and Rooney Mara, very few wore red (usually a red carpet staple).

Angelina Jolie, Claire Daines and Dianne Agron stole the show when it came to the red lip.

bb118H4880R

Spring Collection: Nars

By | makeup | 8 Comments

Collection: Nars Spring 2012

Products Used:
Gaiety Blush
Douce France Eyeshadow Trio
Larger Than Life Long-Wear Eyeliner in St. Mark’s Place $23.00 (from Holiday 2011 Collection)
Bilbao Lipstick

How To: I started by applying the Gaiety Blush – a poppy pink – to my cheeks to create  a light, bright pop of color. This same shade was seen all over the Spring runway (Thakoon had the pink cheek). I love a good trio for the eyes – it takes the guessing out of application. The lightest shade – in this case, a fleshy pink – goes from lash line to brow bone. The middle – or medium shade – in this case, a pale pink – goes over the entire lid. The crease shade is always the darkest shadow. In this trio, it’s a deep pink/ berry hue. I applied to the crease and brushed it down over the outer part of my eyelid for a cleaner eye (not as smoky or dramatic). I used the Eyeliner in a vibrant purple shade on the outer corners of my eyes – top lash line and lower lash line, from the outer corner to about 1/3 of the way in – to create a a colorful juxtaposition. The purple really pops against the pinkish/ berry shadows. On lips, I used Bilbao lipstick, a flesh-hued matte with subtle shimmer. The color was too  pale so I gently (very gently) brushed the eye liner back and forth on my lips for a hint of purple. To see how Mandy Koon Spring FW used the shadow trio and lipstick, click here.

Did You Know: To make the eyeliner softer and easier to apply, rub the tip between your hands. This will heat it up so that the pencil glides on lash line effortlessly. For extra drama, apply the darkest shade from the trio under your lower lash line. This will define the eyes and give a more smoky feel. If your lips feel too matte, use something like Aquaphor (my fav!) over the lipstick (not under as the color slides off too quickly if you use a moisture humectant before the lipstick).

*Unless otherwise noted, face makeup is: Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation in #6; RMS Beauty “Un”Cover-Up in #22. Brows are Anastasia Tinted Brow Gel in Espresso. Mascara is Lancome Definicils High Definition Mascara in Deep Black.

Picture 018-edit3

Bathing Beauty: Bryn Kenny of Dior

By | bathing beauties | 3 Comments

For a beauty enthusiast, a career in the beauty industry is a dream come true. Free beauty products, access to A-list makeup artists and the first to play with new beauty discoveries, is all part of the job. As the current  public relations director for Dior Beauty (swoon!), Bryn Kenny is living the dream. Prior to the highly coveted Dior gig, Bryn was a beauty writer for W Magazine (another swoon-worthy job). Besides being an infinite trove of beauty wisdom (she offers up some sage beauty tips in her interview below), Bryn is also a stylish girl-about-town (you’ll frequently find her photos on such sites as New York Social Diary and Guest of a Guest). With her beach-chic good looks and her comprehensive beauty knowledge, Bryn embodies the best of both worlds: beauty and brains.

Here, Bryn divulges on the secret to “eyes that pop,” an alternate use for perfume, and the trick to applying moisturizer post makeup:

What are your top 5, can’t-live-without products?
1. Bright lipstick. There’s something very bold—and yet classic—about a colorful lip. Makes me feel French.
2. Dior Addict Lip Glow – Pretty much the opposite of bright lipstick; It’s a natural balm with a bit of color that adjusts to your skin’s chemistry. It creates this perfect flushed pink—like you’ve just been kissed.
3. Hand Wash by Molton Brown – Does that count as a beauty product? It’s like fragrance for your hands, so I’m going to say yes.
4. Dior Capture Totale Resurfacing Peel – Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate! I use this product probably more often than I should.
5. Essie nail polish in Fifth Avenue – It’s the perfect happy red and perks up my somewhat dour black and grey wardrobe.

What is your all-time favorite product?
That’s impossible to answer (ha!) but if I must, Diorissimo Eau de Parfum. I love the fact that it’s been around forever and is absolutely timeless. It’s this very simple, fresh blend of Lily of the Valley. I even spray it on my sheets.

What product do you buy in bulk?
This is an easy one: Carmex. They say it’s addictive and I’m okay with that. Every time I’m in Duane Reade I buy one because I’m always losing it. I find little pots of Carmex in my couch cushions like loose change.

Favorite hair product?
Sigh, hairspray. I’ll pretty much use any kind, drugstore, salon, whatever, but I love L’Oreal Ellnet. I have baby fine hair and hairspray adds a bit of body and texture. Also, Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo, the powder kind. It’s a godsend when I’m going from day to night, which is often.

You moisturize your face with…
I’m more of a beauty skeptic than a beauty junkie, but I’ve always been fascinated by skincare. Either way, it takes a lot to convince me to use a product at all, let alone religiously, and I’m addicted to Dior Capture Totale One Essential. It’s a serum that boosts the efficacy of basically any skin product you use. Alicia Keys’ makeup artist Ashunta Sheriff taught me an amazing trick with One Essential: after you’re finished with your makeup, rub a little on your palms and pat your face—it creates this really natural, healthy glow. I also use Dior L’Or de Vie La Crème and L’Extrait day and night. I have dry skin and it works miracles.

Favorite body product?
Pretty much anything Fresh makes. My new favorite is the Seaberry Body Cream—it just smells really good and is super moisturizing without being greasy. Plus, Fresh products are so pretty to look at. They have such a nice aesthetic.

Favorite beauty secret you’ve picked up along the way?
Lining the upper inner lid with black liner… I think a Shu Uemura artist taught me this back when I was a beauty writer at W Magazine. It makes your eyes pop but no one is quite sure why.

Beauty icon you admire?
Ooh, there are a few. I grew up emulating strong-willed women like Madonna, Stevie Nicks, Debbie Harry and Kate Moss. Love a rebellious blonde. I guess I’ve always been drawn to beauty that’s a bit dark, rough-around-the-edges and complicated.Smudged liner, a crooked nose, a little rock ‘n’ roll.

BeautyMint-Nerida&JS_#CA451

Dedicated Giveaway: BeautyMint Skin Collection

By | skin | 23 Comments

Not all skin is created equal. However, all skin needs TLC. BeautyMint to the rescue. The personalized skincare line is the brainchild of Jessica Simpson and skin expert, Nerida Joy. Together, they have devised a collection of products that target specific skin issues and concerns. The philosophy is simple: everyone deserves great products – and the products you use are the building blocks to the skin you’re stuck with. Whether your problem is uneven skin tone, acne breakouts, fine lines and wrinkles, dry and dehydrated skin or all of the above, BeautyMint has the proper regimen for you. Their simple beauty questionnaire asks the important questions like “how important is evening out your skin tone,” and “how important is reducing pore size” and then spits out a regimen that caters to these concerns (they call it your Beauty Sign).

Beauty Banter tried out the program: after answering the beauty questions, we were given a beauty sign of 6-0-6. My 5-piece system included ESSENTIAL CLEANSER WITH ALOE, ULTRA REPLENISHING SERUM WITH MARINE COLLAGEN, RENEWING MOISTURIZER WITH ELASTIN, SCULPTING TREATMENT WITH PEPTIDES, and RESURFACING TREATMENT WITH RETINOL. My main concern was uneven skin tone followed by the effects of that pesky little thing called gravity (aging issues).

GIVEAWAY DETAILS: Today, BeautyMint is giving away a month’s worth of free products to 1 lucky winner. Enter to win a 5-piece, customized product collection (a $145.00 value).

TO ENTER: Click here  and fill out the quick questionnaire. Leave your beauty sign (the BeautyMint team will give you one) – with the email you used to sign up for the regimen – in the comment section below.

Again, the link to enter: click here.

Good luck! **Giveaway is open to US residents only and will run for 48 hours. One winner will be chosen at random and contacted via email.**

As an extra gesture of happy skin for all, BeautyMint is offering $20 off your first month’s kit, first time buyers only, valid until 1/31. Click here.