6 Mascara Tips For Statement-Making Lashes

6 Mascara Tips For Statement-Making Lashes

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Mascara is a female rite of passage. We all want long, thick, volumized lashes and mascara is our go-to for achieving this. But with so many formulas on the market promising everything from amplified thickness to double lash growth in days, it’s difficult to weed through the muck. Here I’m offering up 6 of my favorite makeup artist and celebrity tips for statement-making lashes.

1. For long, thick, volumized lashes, add a lash primer AFTER the first coat of mascara, then add another coat of mascara over the primer. So it goes something like this: Primer, mascara, primer = va-va-volume.
TRY: e.l.f. Mascara Primer ($3), Lashfood Conditioning Lash Primer ($20)

2. Apply mascara by holding the wand vertically to the eye, and move from left to right. Yes, it will get clump, but not too worry: Now hold the wand horizontally to the eye and apply on top of lashes (this separates said clumps). Finish with a coat of mascara applied underneath top lash hairs.
TRY: Face Stockholm Extreme Lash Mascara ($32)

3. Use regular mascara and layer with waterproof mascara for long lashes that stay put all day (in other words, you won’t end up with raccoon eyes by 6pm). Plus, by mixing formulas, it makes removal way easier (anyone who’s tried to remove waterproof mascara knows what I’m talking about).
TRY: CoverGirl The Super Sizer Mascara ($7), Dior Diorshow Waterproof Mascara ($28)

4. Use a bottom lash mascara (or your favorite mascara in travel size because it’ll have a smaller applicator). Bottom lashes are an entirely different beast from top lashes. The hairs are finer, smaller, and closer to the skin. Application must be precise. It’s all in the wand, ladies. Choose wisely.
TRY: Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara ($11), Tarte To Go Deluxe Lights, Camera, Lashes 4-in-1 Mascara ($10)

5. Growth serums DO work, and if you’re serious about your lashes, invest in a proper serum. Apply morning and evening – religiously – and double lash thickness and length within months. You can also use the serum on sparse areas of eyebrows!
TRY: Revitalash Advanced Eyelash Conditioner ($76)

6. Want the thickest lashes E-V-E-R? Paint them on. Using a jet black liquid eyeliner, draw tiny dots directly onto your lash line – upper and lower – before applying mascara. This creates the illusion of hairs growing from the root. Trust me, this trick works wonders!
TRY: CoverGirl Bombshell Intensity Eye Liner ($7), Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner ($22)