10 Ways To Use Coconut Oil In Your Daily Beauty Routine

9abb6c8b59b1619a36f764cab262f6f7

10 Ways To Use Coconut Oil In Your Daily Beauty Routine

By now, you’ve probably heard that the American Heart Association has deemed coconut oil unhealthy. (Insert collective GASPP!). We know, we know, this is almost too much to take in. Next we’re going to find out that chocolate helps you lose weight!

Alas, coconut oil may not be good for the heart, but it’s still damn great for the skin. It is hydrating, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal, and can be used on almost every skin type — for a multitude of concerns from sensitivity to acne.  Everyone from Khloe Kardashian to Emma Stone have their own favorite DIY coconut oil recipe and cure-all.

So, until we’re told that this fabulous fruit is bad for our face, we’re digging these 10 best ways to incorporate coconut oil into our daily beauty routines.

Psst… You can purchase a big tub of coconut oil from your local grocery. Make sure that it is extra-virgin, organic, and pure for best beautifying results (like this one here).

1. Makeup Remover – Emma Stone and Miranda Kerr are both fans of the oil as an all-natural makeup remover. This is one of my favorite uses, too. Apply to dry skin, work it in, then towel off. I always wash my face after with a cleanser, but if you’re not prone to breakouts, you’ve effectively washed your face as well!
2. Lip and Body Scrub – Because coconut oil is so moisturizing, it’s the ideal base for your DIY scrubs. Just add sugar.
3. Shaving Cream – This is one of my favorite ways to use the oil. It is a highly moisturizing, effective, and safe alternative to bottled shaving creams. Slather on legs, under arms and bikini area, then shave.
4. Cellulite Treatment – Because coconut oil is so hydrating, it pairs wonderfully with a dry brush to aid in breaking up fat pockets, releasing toxins, and increasing circulation. Recipe for the best DIY cellulite scrub here.
5. Nail and Cuticle Hydrator – Rub the hardened coconut oil onto nail and cuticles to prevent hangnails.
6. Eyelash Strengthener – We already know that coconut oil is a great makeup remover, but keep it on your lashes overnight to strengthen and condition.
7. Deodorant – Just add cornstarch and arrowroot powder and within 5 minutes, you’ve got a healthy, safe, aluminum-free deodorant. DIY recipe here.
8. Hair Treatment – Khloe Kardashian has said that she uses pure coconut oil as a hair mask — and so can you. Apply to dry hair and leave on for at least 15 minutes, then rinse. Want serious results? Sleep with the oil on your ends (just make sure to cover your hair with a shower cap).
9. Oil Pulling – Very on trend in the beauty and dental arenas, oil pulling is the newest all natural way to promote oral health. I’ve tried it and it takes a bit of getting used to, but the results are quite amazing. What is oil pulling? Just take a tablespoon of coconut oil and swish it around your mouth for 10-20 minutes, daily. Here’s a great article on this ancient practice.
10. Brush Cleaner – Use liquified coconut oil to clean your hair and makeup brushes. The oil will protect and nourish the bristles while still getting out the grime. Follow with a quick rinse with baby shampoo and water.

If you’re still a bit apprehensive about the super ingredient in its raw form, you can find a plethora of pre-made and packaged products that include coconut oil (and its awesome scent).

Favorites: Lavanila Vanilla Coconut Healthy Deodorant; RMS Beauty Raw Coconut Cream (a favorite of Kerr’s); the entire Yes To Coconut line – the Body Scrub and Ultra Light Spray Body Lotion are a bathing treat that you will not soon forget; Promise Organic Nourishing Coconut Oil for hair, face, and body.

  • Alexis Towle

    Interesting post. I never knew that coconut oil could assist in breaking down cellulite.

    Alexis||https://lidsandtricks.com/