10 TIPS FOR HEALTHY SKIN

how toskin
By April 8, 2008 18 Comments

10 TIPS FOR HEALTHY SKIN

We’ve all heard about the plethora of products that offer the promise of a flawless face.  Some of them work, most of them don’t.  A lot of it is trial and error… figuring out what regimine is right for YOUR skin.

But there are some standard practices that really do help to give you a healthy complexion.
Here are my favorite ten to remember, cherish, and use!
1 – Vitamins are vital!  Fish Oil has been proven to help in the maintenance of healthy skin and hair.  I love the Pharmax Fish Oil with Essential Oil of Orange – it’s a liquid but it doesn’t leave any fishy after taste. It works to give you a glowing complexion from the inside, out.
2 – Don’t overwash… and don’t overdry!  Too much washing or drying out of the face only leads to your oil glands actually producing more oil to compensate.  Wash twice a day, at the most! And make sure to use a gentle, non-irritating cleanser that is anti-bacterial – to eradicate bacterias that fill your pores.  Cetaphil’s antibacterial gentle cleansing bar is a great choice (and an inexpensive one!)
3 – Sunblock, sunblock, sunblock!!! Even if you love a nice tan, you MUST use sunblock EVERY DAY!!! The number one cause of wrinkles is sun exposure!!!  And your sunblock should fight against UVA and UVB rays (click HERE for some great sunblock options!)
4 – Change your pillowcases every third night!  It seems arduous but the truth is, dirt, bacteria and oils from your hair seep into the pillowcases thus seeping into your skin while you sleep. It’s vital to allow your face a clean, fresh fabric from which to relax and unwind.
5 – Wash your hands before going to bed!  Again, clean hands help to keep unwanted dirt and bacterias AWAY from your face.  You should really wash your hands consistently throughout the day but also before bed time.  You know how they say germs are transferred from your hands to your mouth… thus, spreading virus’ and infection?  Well, the same is true with hands to face… spreading dirt and bacteria!
6 – Eye cream must be made a part of your daily regime!  Even if you have oily skin, it’s imperative that you hydrate your eyes.  The skin around your eyes is a lot more tender and delicate, thus it needs special care.  Eye cream should be dabbed – not rubbed – from the outer corner, inwards… twice a day! Click HERE for some fantastic eye cream choices!
7 – Don’t pick!!! This is the hardest rule for me to follow, so I’m gonna add an addendum –  If you must pick (like when that white head has taken over your entire chin…), steam your face first.  And please, I beg you, wrap your fingers in toilet paper so that you don’t transfer the dirt and bacteria from your fingers to your face/ pimple.  Also, make sure to only press lightly… when you try and force the puss out, you’re actually spreading it around and infecting it!
8 – Drink as much water as you can possibly handle!!! This seems like common knowledge, but the truth is, we don’t drink as much water as we should.  Water flushes out all the yuckiness inside of our bodies and it promotes health, bottom line!  If you find that you’re not a water-lover, try adding a flavor to your water.  I suggest Crystal Light on the go packs… they come in 10 flavors, they’re low in calories and they can be added to ANY size water bottle as easily as ripping the packet open and pouring it into the bottle!
9 – Even if you’re oily, you MUST moisturize!  A common misperception is that oily skin doesn’t need extra hydration…. NOT TRUE!  All skin needs hydration because hydrating your skin actually balances out the oiliness.  Obviously, if you have oily or acne-prone skin, you should choose an oil-free, fragrance-free moisturizer.  Something that is light and non greasy.  There are thousands of moisturizers on the market… try them ALL until you find the one that suits your specific skin.  But don’t skip this step!!!
10 – NEVER rub, ALWAYS pat!  This is true when applying creams and medicines, and when drying your face after washing.  Rubbing your skin stretches it, causing lines and wrinkles.  It also “rubs” the bacterias everywhere, infecting not only the problem areas, but the entire face. However, patting your skin – be it with a moisturizer or a wash cloth – is gentle and non abrasive to your face.  It also allows the face to truly soak up the moisturizer, medicine, and/or face wash so that you experience the full effects of said products!  When you rub, you rub off a majority of the benefits of these products as well!!!
Have a great skin tip?  We want to know it! Leave us a comment in the box below!

  • Dollfaced Rebel

    What an awesome post!!! I really needed this because my skin has been being just plain awful to me lately!

  • Jana

    I use vaseline on my lips every night before bed. I also like to brush my lips with my toothbrush every night so that I can get ride of dead skin!

    xo,

    Jana

  • Anonymous

    exfoliate one to two times a week to remove dead skin cells that can clog pores. no more than twice a week though!

  • Amber

    what practical and useful tips! this is one of the best posts that i’ve ever read on any beauty site!

  • Anonymous

    i am 20…do i need to worry about eye cream yet???

  • Beauty Banter

    to anonymous:
    YES! Start now… it’s preventative!
    xoxo,
    Beauty Banter

  • Anonymous

    Speaking of vitamins and Oil. L’ MAJ Beverly Hills have this awesome skincare package called Vita pack for your skin. It comes with oil, tea, vita pill and C, also includes vita scrub to exfoliate dead skin cells. I personally love it! My skin is very toned and its flawless!

  • Hey There. I discovered your blog the usage of msn.

    That is an extremely neatly written article. I will make sure to bookmark
    it and return to learn more of your helpful info.
    Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly comeback.

  • I think this is among the most important information for me.
    And i’m glad reading your article. But want to remark on some general things, The site style is perfect, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

  • It’s genuinely very difficult in this full of activity life to listen news on TV, so I only use internet for that reason, and get the most recent news.

  • No matter if some one searches for his essential thing,
    therefore he/she wants to be available that in detail, so that thing is maintained
    over here.

  • Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blog and I’m impressed!
    Extremely useful information particularly the last part :) I care
    for such information a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a
    long time. Thank you and best of luck.

  • So sleep tight, everyone, because dinosaurs aren’t likely to terrorize your streets
    any time soon. It doesn’t have the big name of Resident Evil
    or Street Fighter but the popular portable series Monster Hunter also has two games in the top 10.
    Brookfield Zoo is offering Halloween fun with Dino –
    Nites this Friday and Saturday October 30 and 31, 2009.

  • Unquestionably consider that that you stated. Your favourite reason appeared to be
    on the internet the easiest factor to take note of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people think about issues that they plainly do not know about.

    You controlled to hit the nail upon the top
    as neatly as outlined out the entire thing with no need side-effects , other folks can take a signal.

    Will likely be again to get more. Thanks

  • After looking into a handful of the blog posts on your web site, I really like your technique
    of blogging. I saved it to my bookmark site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out
    my web site as well and tell me what you think.

  • It’s actually a great and helpful piece of info. I’m satisfied that you just shared this useful
    info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.