10 Beauty Resolutions To Start 2017 Off Right

nye-new-years-eve-party-alesandra-model

10 Beauty Resolutions To Start 2017 Off Right

With every new year, come the resolutions…and while its good to vow to do better each year, a lot of resolutions get left behind (you know like putting more in our savings accounts and remembering to exercise three times a week). One thing we shouldn’t neglect to resolve in 2017, is taking better care of our skin. It’s the body’s largest organ and we sure put it through a lot. Let’s leave behind tired resolutions and vow to take better care of ourselves, health and beauty!

Read on for 10 beauty resolutions that are easy to keep and beneficial for healthy, beautiful skin.

1. Drink more water! Hydrated skin is happy skin. If you didn’t already know, water is essential for healthy skin, it helps maintain skin’s moisture, replenishes skin tissue, and increases elasticity leading to clearer and more youthful looking skin. So get drinking! Also try hot water with lemon each morning, rumor has it Beyoncé and Eva Mendes do.

2. Vow to never go to bed with your makeup on. Skin needs to breathe and going to bed with a full face of a day’s worth of makeup leads to clogged pores and breakouts, even if we use natural products. Also, while we sleep our bodies and cells replenish, we need to give our skin a break from makeup.

3. Promise to exfoliate weekly. Exfoliating our skin, from head to toe, rids us of dry and dead surface skin cells that make our skin appear lackluster. Exfoliated skin glows and absorbs moisturizer better so you can reap the full benefits of those beauty products. Most of us can get away with exfoliating three times a week, for sensitive skin stick to once or twice a week, try Mario Badescu Almond & Honey Face Scrub ($15). Click here for a DIY lemon and sugar scrub.

4. Slather on the SPF, everyday. Every dermatologist will tell you how important SPF is for healthy skin. The sun is enemy number one when it comes to premature aging, and if you needed another reason to douse yourself in sunscreen, the sun’s harmful UV rays are linked to skin cancer. Make sure your moisturizer has SPF in it, try Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer with SPF 30 ($11), or a foundation with SPF like Philosophy Miracle Worker Foundation with SPF 30 ($40). Same goes for body lotion, try Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion with SPF 50 ($40) for face and body.

5. Use anti-aging products all-over. Do not neglect your neck, décolletage, and all-over body when thinking anti-aging. Our skin ages at the same rate from head to toe. When applying face cream, slather it down your neck and chest and don’t forget to moisturize hands often. Try a body lotion with anti-aging benefits like Olay Total Effects Advanced Anti-Aging Body Lotion ($9).

6. Make sure to clean your makeup brushes once a week. It should be a no-brainer that we have to clean our makeup brushes weekly to rid them of acne-causing and pore-clogging bacteria. Also, clean brushes equal more flawless makeup application. Try a simple solution of fragrance-free dish soap and olive oil to clean brushes naturally.

7. Take more baths. Soaking in a hot, steamy bath is not only relaxing, there are beauty benefits too. Hot baths relieve muscle pain and promote better sleep and salt baths have been practiced for centuries for health and beauty benefits. Salt reduces inflammation and the magnesium in salt draws out toxins. You can use regular table salt, epson salt or try AHAVA Natural Mineral Bath Salt ($22).

8. Treat yourself to weekly face masks. Just about every type of skin care concern can be targeted with a face mask. Clay masks absorb oils and have exfoliating benefits while honey face masks are moisturizing. Acne-prone? There’s a mask for that. Try cult-fave Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay ($10) or Herbivore Brighten Instant Glow Mask ($48). For a mask you can whip up at home, check out our favorite DIY masks like Honey Nutmeg Cinnamon mask.

10. Sleep, more. Like water, sleep is also beneficial for healthy and youthful looking skin. When you’re tired, blood circulation slows causing skin to look dull, not to mention dark under eye circles! It’s during sleep that our bodies release the hormone responsible for collagen production, which we know is necessary for firmer skin and anti-aging benefits. So go to bed a little earlier and sleep your way to better skin.

Claudia Mercado is a beauty-obsessed writer living in Long Beach, CA.